Formula 1 - Codemasters

It frustrates me because practice and quail just nail the F1 feel really well, and then the cracks start to show in the actual race!

Especially when you've put the time in to play a full race weekend, qualified in a good position, then it all goes to shit due to something totally out of your control.

I totally agree with this.

Watching the pits is odd, cars ghosted and driving through each other. It's a pretty essential part of the F1 experience to just ignore.

According to the wise Forza Motorsport 3 loading screen tips: "friction used for braking can't be used for turning".

What, do you only brake once you're in a corner (rather than before it) in a real car as well? :rolleys:

Well if we're going to be picky over words, someone, who shall remain nameless Meerman, hasn't heard of trail braking.

http://virtualracersedge.com/trail_braking.htm

A tip, i might add that CAN be applied to Forza and more importantly F1 cars because their light.

http://www.driftingstreet.com/braking-technique-trail.html

Mmm. I played a couple more races in career today and what doesn't help is that there's not a consistent challenge at any difficulty level. Did Barcelona on Legend, finished last by a country mile despite acing each lap. Nothing I could do. Moved onto Monaco, didn't make any mistakes but was hardly what you'd call 'on it' and cruised around to an easy 8th position.

Very confusing.

Mmm. I played a couple more races in career today and what doesn't help is that there's not a consistent challenge at any difficulty level. Did Barcelona on Legend, finished last by a country mile despite acing each lap. Nothing I could do. Moved onto Monaco, didn't make any mistakes but was hardly what you'd call 'on it' and cruised around to an easy 8th position.

Very confusing.

That is an issue I'm having. Tracks I don't know well I seem to be doing well at. But I'm in the middle of doing Catalunya (a track I enjoy and have played dozens of times in Forza) and am right at the back - literally 24th place. Nothing I do gets me higher up the grid, which is baffling to be honest.

Talking of Catalunya, has the track layout changed at all, as this version seems slightly different to the Forza 3 version at the corner with the name painted in huge white and red letters - forget the name of it.

It frustrates me because practice and quail just nail the F1 feel really well, and then the cracks start to show in the actual race!

Especially when you've put the time in to play a full race weekend, qualified in a good position, then it all goes to shit due to something totally out of your control.

Sounds exactly like real formula one :D

Plus, fuck the chicane right at the end of the Catalunya circuit, I can bounce all over the kerbs through every other corner on the circuit but not this one?

Ah, not just me then! Originally I thought it was to do with the spring settings, but even at the softest settings I just cannot speed over them - either trickle over them or avoid, which is pretty difficult.

I drove my first 50% race today in preparation for the rllmuk championship, was placed a decent 4th until I pitted... followed the 1/2 laps early advice... but on the way out somehow a ghost car stops me dead, and I wait 30 seconds before it buggers off! Finished 18th in the end. And paused a lot

SteveH: Oh, the hairpin after the 5th gear right? They changed it for the F1 cars back in 2003 or so - originally it was less tight. Believe the original corner is still there and they use it for Moto GP :).

I think the issue might be that the AI are numpties when it comes to slow corners, whilst on straights and quick bends they are unrealistically quick. The really, really odd thing is that you can be leading a car and not particularly holding him up, yet if he gets past suddenly he goes four seconds per lap quicker than you. Barcelona is the worst case of it happening so far for me, but I'm guessing Silverstone might be a bit of a nightmare later on.

SteveH: Oh, the hairpin after the 5th gear right? They changed it for the F1 cars back in 2003 or so - originally it was less tight. Believe the original corner is still there and they use it for Moto GP :).

Yeah I think you are on the same page :) I'm sure it isn't as tight in Forza 3 though. It is similar, but feels just that little bit different. And Forza was only released 12 months ago so I would assume they use the same layout. No biggie, just caught me out the first time I went around it.

The problems are blatent, no way QA would have missed those. I'd put serious money that the team at Codies knew about these things and had been told to ship anyway.

I would have thought they'd be some way towards releasing a patch or would even have had a day one patch if that were the case. The noises are that they're having a meeting on Monday to discuss the issues. Of course we don't know how much is just covering up the real reasons for releasing the game in this state.

T4RG4 has said it's not QAs fault though. So either they got told to ship no matter what, implemented changes late on that they couldn't test or, surely not, printed an older build...

So it seems that the AI cars - now it would appear even in the race itself, not just P/Q - are not connected to the times posted. Essentially, you are 'racing the cars' but the lap times they post are a complete fabrication. It's clearly not a bug...it's just a bizarre design choice to present an illusion. I suppose this accounts for the lack of split times...Where the game isn't bugged it's all smoke and mirrors. :(

Very confusing.

They clearly couldn't get the AI to go round the tracks properly and didn't have time to sort it, so we're left with the odd smoke & mirrors situation as Warszawa says.

I think the issue might be that the AI are numpties when it comes to slow corners, whilst on straights and quick bends they are unrealistically quick. The really, really odd thing is that you can be leading a car and not particularly holding him up, yet if he gets past suddenly he goes four seconds per lap quicker than you. Barcelona is the worst case of it happening so far for me, but I'm guessing Silverstone might be a bit of a nightmare later on.

Correct, the MotoGP guys take to the other section of track and ride wide, round the outside of the big red and white painted 'circuit de catalunya' bit, they also don't cut in for that last chicane section either :)

Haven't played the track in this yet, but watched a vid on YouTube just now and it looks the same to me. Will have a TT on there in the morning for a proper look and report my findings :)

Fuckin' hell, Choddo. Were you born yesterday? :lol:

So I'm right? I only mentioned it because you see all your xbox live mateys coming & going when you're playing the Windows version and the thing is a fucking total console port with none of the usual UI finesse you'd expect on a PC game. And even then I still didn't think it would work.

So, I take the game over to my friend's house for him to play. He's also a massive F1 fan, and works on the simulator at Mercedes GP. He takes the car for a few laps, spins a few times, races the AI.... complete silence. I ask him what he thinks of the game.

"..... the font on the steering wheel is wrong".

:facepalm:

...They clearly couldn't get the AI to go round the tracks properly and didn't have time to sort it, so we're left with the odd smoke & mirrors situation as Warszawa says.

That's the probably the biggest kicker for me, because it's far too fundamental to the game's design to ever be patched. Bugged / unbalanced fuel loads (as per T4RG4's Twitter) and the pit scenario are fixable, but a core piece of design like the fake AI / times is clearly not even an 'error' as such and the only hope is that they've shipped a game massively pre-beta...that would be the best thing as it stands.

Latest issue...a lot of people suffering data corruption and losing saves. This game is like a beautiful scene, but as you get closer you realise that it's made out of tissue paper...and it has just started raining.

there are some absolute weapons online on this game.

also, i was in second place, guy in first spins, i come around a tight corner on the racing line and clip the rear of his car - 10 second penalty

4-5 corners later i brake to turn into the corner, he smashes into me and sends me into the gravel, the race finishes and he has no penalty what so ever!

i'm enjoying it though, came stone dead last in my first gp on bahrain (and got lapped - twice) :( really need to get the wheel off my mate i think (and then work out how the fuck to set it up to use it in my cramped as fuck room), it feels like it's just begging to be played with one.

Here's a good one I found on Neogaf re: the AI -

Ha, just had a great one, started from pole and stayed ahead of button who was lapping 2.5s a lap faster then me (despite never actually gaining on me always about .5 behind), we pitted at the same time and I made it out first. By this time I was in second place as 3rd place man (vettel) had yet to pit.

He never did either.

Both button and I overtook vettel on the 4th lap to end. So the current order was-

Me

Button

Vettel (who started 8th, had the awesome strategy of never having a pit stop)

The race finished in this order.

I was so happy that I had for the first time put a consistent crash free race together that I almost didnt notice that the game gave the win to vettel. It gave the win to the guy who I could see behind both button and I while on the final straight.

WTF.

Right going to swap my ps3 version for the 360 version then....

As far as I've seen there's not a huge difference technically. They're both pretty blurry compared to the PC version, although the default brightness is much higher on PS3 which shows its flaws more readily.

So, I take the game over to my friend's house for him to play. He's also a massive F1 fan, and works on the simulator at Mercedes GP. He takes the car for a few laps, spins a few times, races the AI.... complete silence. I ask him what he thinks of the game.

Fantastic! Is he only used to the simulator or does he have experience on a track?

I'm adoring the game but I'm finding it very difficult. So much so, I put it to the lowest setting and qualifying in the Lotus left me in 8th. For the race I was doing alright but when the pit stops came round, I was let go back in last place.

After years of GT, Forza, Outrun and Race Pro, I'm amazed I'm this rubbish! Still, top 300 TT result at Monza. :)

The game is a steaming turd and you have all been suckered in by an F1 licence and marketing bullshit.

Codemasters is a shameful company. Mario Kart even has proper timing! This is an F1 game for christ sake where timing and precision is everything.

AI isn't affected by tyre wear or fuel loads but you are wtf..

The game is a complete con and Codemasters have tried to hide the fact. How they thought no one would notice is beyond me.

Right going to swap my ps3 version for the 360 version then....

Unfortunately I'm going to swapping it for another game tomorrow :(.. Gave it yet another chance yesterday but the obvious issues are just ruining the whole experience for me, and I can't seem to look past them.

If I had the time to play just multiplayer I'd probably keep it but family commitments mean it's SP that get the most use, and that mode is clearly broken. Although I am also sceptical it will be stable enough to handle the championship you guys have planned, given its got its fair share of MP issues too.

If they do manage to get the more game breaking ones of these sorted at some point then I may pick it up again cheap at a later date.

I'm genuinely, genuinely gutted (even booked time off work to play it properly) Had very high hopes for this (possibly TOO high)... At times the racing can be totally exhilarating there is no denying it, but the game behind it clearly needs more work :(

The game is a steaming turd and you have all bee suckered in by an F1 licence and marketing bullshit.

Codemasters is a shameful company. Mario Kart even has proper timing! This is an F1 game for christ sake where timing and precision is everything.

The game is a complete con and Codemasters have tried to hide the fact. How they thought no one would notice is beyond me.

It's a fair point, but you can save us the 'you were suckered in' bollocks. Everyone on this forum listens to hype and follows previews to some degree, but there's always an element of risk when you pre-order a game for release - without the benefit of seeing the post-release discussion that obviously ensues. Some people are going to take that risk, and others are going to hold off to see what the consensus is.

I'm disappointed to hear of the issues with single player, but I've done nothing but time-trialling up to now and I'm having tremendous fun with it.

The game is a steaming turd and you have all bee suckered in by an F1 licence and marketing bullshit.

Though you've been a complete troll in this thread, I have to agree with some of your points after what I've played and read. It's a shame because the presentation and actual driving is pretty good. Hopefully a patch will come, but I'm not overly confident, as its Codemasters we're talking about. Still I can use my new whell with Forza I suppose.

Very disheartening. I would have bought this on launch were it not for the fact that I wanted a Wheelstand Pro first. Now I'm glad I didn't take the plunge, as I don't like paying fullprice for some buggy mess with a broken single player mode. I guess I'll just wait for it to appear in the bargain bins or if a patch fixes the major issues. Not holding my breath here.

So 2010 came and went and we still haven't the F1 game we've been waiting for since Geoff Crammond went AWOL. :(

Bollocks, seriously needs patching. There is more than one pit stop bug.

I was talking about Sigourney Beaver not needing patches for the slapping he would have gotten when he suggested Codies weren't going to patch it.

So has anyone got anything good to say about it?

Yes, I fucking adore the time trials and online racing with members of this forum. Fuck single player career modes, I never play them for very long because racing AI bores the hell out of me in any racing game.

Forget the career bugs and whatnot, online races are fucking awesome.

Hello!

Yeah, it's so much more fun than Forza, I can just drive and have fun. Objectively Forza is better, but I prefer to play this. My face looks like this :D everytime I fly through a corner.

Hello! (Forza's still much deeper regarding driving mechanics though)

Well if we're going to be picky over words, someone, who shall remain nameless Meerman, hasn't heard of trail braking.

http://virtualracersedge.com/trail_braking.htm

A tip, i might add that CAN be applied to Forza and more importantly F1 cars because their light.

http://www.driftingstreet.com/braking-technique-trail.html

I know what it is and put it to practice ever so often, May. It takes a lot of skill, practice and awareness to pull off. So friction used for braking can't be used for turning, unless you're a racing sim god like Dimahoo. :P

So I'm right? I only mentioned it because you see all your xbox live mateys coming & going when you're playing the Windows version and the thing is a fucking total console port with none of the usual UI finesse you'd expect on a PC game. And even then I still didn't think it would work.

yes you're 100% right, and it baffles me why MS started Windows Live in the first place.

:lol:

So how many of you will forfeit out of the rllmuk F1 championship now that the backlash has begun? :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone hear need feel shame. The shame is squarely on the shoulders of Edge, Eurogamer et al - those who blew a load over this game in their reviews - and the publisher for forcing the development team into what was obviously an overly restrictive release deadline.

i'm still on it, enjoy the game so far :)

time trial is awesome, like how you can download ghosts of whoever you want to compete against, i had a little go on spa but didnt set any time that i remember.

instead me and my mate ended up flying around melbourne, awesome track. got into an online race on it and we were long gone

Bugs, what bugs?? This is a list compiled so far by senior members on Codemasters forum which has been e-mailed to Codies:

BUGS & ERRORS OFFLINE

-Pitstop exiting hesitation (see targa thread for temporary solution) (ALL FORMATS)

-Race results not portraying actual results (ALL FORMATS)

-Tyre punctures occur far too frequent (ALL FORMATS)

-AI blue flag issue, they get disqualified (ALL FORMATS)

-AI Fuel: AI qualifying slower then race start (ALL FORMATS)

-AI ghosting cars (ALL FORMATS)

-AI erratic swerving (in race when heating tyres isnt necessary)(ALL FORMATS)

-AI drivers not pitting at all in a race. (ALL FORMATS)

-Sound delay on shifting (ALL FORMATS)

-Split timing would be Usefull on screen. (ALL FORMATS)

-Sector 3 times don't stay up, you can't ever see your sector 3 (ALL FORMATS)

-Slight lag on controls of car (ALL FORMATS)

-Camera bug in time trial when exiting and rentering session head/hands disaapears TBC (ALL FORMATS)

-Tyre availability bug in practice sessions, e.g., no Primes available in P2 image (ALL FORMATS)

-Cars not being serviced in the pits and just sitting there, causing user to reset race if teammate is stuck. TBC (ALL FORMATS)

-Pit limiter auto on regardless of setting. (ALL FORMATS)

-wet times too fast , almost identical to dry times !??! (ALL FORMATS)

- too much grip in the rain (ALL FORMATS)

- too much grip with Intermediate/full wets (ALL FORMATS)

- live timer doesn't show personal best sector times (ALL FORMATS)

- third soft/hard tyre set not available in qualifying (ALL FORMATS)

- penalties given to player when ai hit you and also far too sensitive in certain forced situations (ALL FORMATS)

-Freezing and locking up often (XBOX360)

-Remove hidden anti spin mechanic car doesnt feel right (or give option on/off) (ALL FORMATS)

-IN/OUT laps not counted in lap count for sessions (ALL FORMATS)

-Users reporting Corrupt Save Data (ALL FORMATS)

I noticed the sector 3 time issue - it is never displayed on your monitor. I'm still loving it though!! Oh well, at least there is no list of issues for online!!

Bugs, what bugs?? This is a list compiled so far by senior members on Codemasters forum which has been e-mailed to Codies:

BUGS & ERRORS OFFLINE

LOTS OF STUFF!

There really is no justifying that... is there?!

Also another for the list..its really annoying not being able to see the starting lights when at the back of the grid... yes I know I should qualify further up the field, but Im sure in real F1 they dont have to just wait until they see the car infront start moving :P