Formula 1 - Codemasters

Oh my, it really does make a difference using a wheel and pedals doesn't it?

Couldn't really justify £80 on the official one, so picked up the Madcatz and it will do me absolutely fine.

When using the pad I often found myself having to twitch throughout a corner to get it round, but the wheel just makes things so much smoother

Just came 17th in Malaysia and feel like I've won the world championship, awesome!

Totally agree. This game is a must for a wheel and like yourself, the Madcatz one has really surprised me as it does a very good job!

i have a madcatz one but it pulls to the left on straights, and if i keep my hand on it to keep it straight it will just make jerky movements every now and again it feels like, without the wheel moving itself it'll just jump to the left.

more noticable on GTR 2 with the line in the middle of the steering wheel i can see it just jerk to the side, shame really but i'll try and borrow my mates official wheel and then suggest a price to him, probably £30 ;)

You can only lock up the tyres at low speeds so feel free to hammer the brakes down hard then ease off as you near the corner.

Yeah, i'm not sure if thats true to life. Any hard braking at any speed in most cars would cause a lock, i knew the grip slicks were good, but not that good.

One other note....don't change too fast. One, it kills the engine (it gets hot) and two, you could end up in Neutral, usually into a corner, so causing a slide.

Ahh. You've so hit the nail on the head.

Superfical.

Sadly both EA and the codies are famed for it. I don't care so much when it applies to something like Dirt as Dirt's style of racing lends it to arcade style playabilty anyway. Lots of crashes, slides and jumps - it works well there.

But for technical racing where you need to be fast and precise - its not so good.

It'll please the masses but it does kinda feel, yeah, superfiscal.

Yet someone, somewhere, called it the most realistic simulation ever?

ah no, that's the new one.. i didn't think that was out yet?

i think the one we were talking about (me at least) is the MC2 wheel (every one on google images is different from mine, they have a weird thing in the middle while mine has a large version of the 360 d-pad, and it has a stick shift aswell as flappy paddles)

really strange i cant find the one i have anywhere, is it the only one ever made or something?!

Yeah, i'm not sure if thats true to life. Any hard braking at any speed in most cars would cause a lock, i knew the grip slicks were good, but not that good.

apparently its because of the downforce at high speed, iirc most f1 sims i've played have worked similar to that regarding breaking anyway, weather they're true to life or not i don't know.

ah no, that's the new one.. i didn't think that was out yet?

i think the one we were talking about (me at least) is the MC2 wheel (every one on google images is different from mine, they have a weird thing in the middle while mine has a large version of the 360 d-pad, and it has a stick shift aswell as flappy paddles)

really strange i cant find the one i have anywhere, is it the only one ever made or something?!

Is it this one?

5680724A66UC294048X.jpg

Because I just bought it

Just read the rear wing angle help in the setup bit:

That's not right is it? Surely downforce improves grip i.e. more likely to oversteer?

The rear end will have loads of grip so it won't slide across the track as much when the car turns. The front end will be working against this and feel like you've not got enough steering.

Codies seriously need to patch this thing. The single player is f*cked, mostly over pitting issues screwing up your GP.

Things I've seen so far on 30% races:

1. Pit bug, sit and wait looking at a lolipop until what seems like the entire field to pass you!

2. AI cars ghosting through you in the pit! Yes unknown to us the new F1 cars have some sort of James Bond device that allows them to not only drive faster than the pit speed limit without penalty, but actually ghost right through your vechile. Makes you wonder why the lolipop man in problem one even gives a toss if there's traffic in the pits!

3. Drive the most perfect race you've ever driven around Malaysia getting your Lotus to the high and mighty position of 8th. Ignore the Geordies instruction to pit for a couple of laps to avoid the above issues. Pit in, get away quickly and cleanly and re-enter down in 15th. Think quite rightly that a number of those now past you must be due to pit. Watch your race turn to crap out of fustration as not one single car in front pits and of being robbed a well deserved battle for the points! :angry:

Really this is game breaking stuff. It makes an absolute shambles of the career mode. Not only that first two races team objectives finish 18th or above. Fiar enough for a Lotus. Next race finish 12th or above! I might have bloody managed it had it not been for the fricking game breaking issues!

Codies seriously need to patch this thing. The single player is f*cked, mostly over pitting issues screwing up your GP.

Really this is game breaking stuff. It makes an absolute shambles of the career mode. Not only that first two races team objectives finish 18th or above. Fiar enough for a Lotus. Next race finish 12th or above! I might have bloody managed it had it not been for the fricking game breaking issues!

You haven't even mentioned the fact that the AI is completely immune to the effects of fuel load and tyre wear!

I'm genuinely pretty fucked off with this. There's the core of a good game there but it's basically broken unless you play online. And that isn't really my forte. Shame on Edge, Eurogamer et al for slobbering over a very obviously broken game.

I've not done races yet. Does that happen in every race?

I've not had a single race yet (three GP weekends in) that hasn't f*cked my position due to something regarding pit stops.

Not to mention the fact the the AI doesn't seem to be punished for causing collisions, like you would.

You haven't even mentioned the fact that the AI is completely immune to the effects of fuel load and tyre wear!

I've probably been too raging over pit stops to notice that. Well that and getting a ten second penalty as the AI in certain corners really doesn't know how to drive them and thus brakes in the most bizzare places. So until you know where they do these things, and you won't on the first couple of laps, it just becomes an exercise in terror of wondering where they'll suddenly slam on the brakes when they don't need too.

And so it begins. Shall I remove this from my birthday wishlist?

Depends when your birthday is. It's a really solid core, fun to handle. If the patch comes quickly and isn't half-arsed - lots of these issues MUST have been known about prior to release - it'll be worth the money. In it's current form I cannot recommend it, unfortunately. The publisher clearly had a strict deadline for the development team to meet..

Right bought this for the ps3 earliers... couple of things

1: My bloody ps2 Logitech GT3 wheel doesn't work with it.. arse

2: Is it my setup, or does it look, I dunno, a bit sparse???

It seems to be running in a much lower res than 1080i, posisbly 480p???

I dunno, something doesn't seem right...

The actual game is bang what I was after though... had great fun on it in the past hour.... hands are fucked though!