Formula 1 - Codemasters

Being able to pole and then win the first race with a crap car has just shattered my pathetic role playing mind.

I know what you mean, it also makes the goal of trying to secure a drive with one of the top teams totally redundant.. Admittedly haven't attempted expert yet, that's for later.

Time Trial - Spa in a McLaren

1st TT is now up. Only interested in names and times for now. Ends midnight Sunday.

There goes my weekend!

For you people that are winning races in a Lotus, what race length are you on? I'm finding it quite hard but play on 50%.

I'm just curious. I expect to be fairly shit as I just generally am but it might be worth you trying it out. I dunno how that would affect getting pole though. Are you doing long weekends?

Busted a nut to get 8th in my pony Red Bull at Bahrain and when the race started I was back in 19th-WTF!

Anyway..the game itself seem ok-ish..bit underwhelmed at the moment, had to put medium traction control on because without it the pad just wasn't up to the job.

The sense of speed is poor (which is exaggerated by the distinct lack of feedback through the controller) couple that with the excellent audio cues it just feels...a bit weird.

You hear the engine screaming but you just don't feel or see any accelaration! Frame-rate is not good either!

Wait... So career mode is possible to win in back markers cars?

You can win easily in the cars, I have only tried up to professional and it has been easy to win by 20+ seconds on a 10% race distance. The only difficulty I have encountered so far is that my save files have been corrupted twice now, has anyone else experienced this?

No, it's unplayable with a pad without assists. Besides, you could go faster without them with a wheel in Forza, too.

I hate to blow my own trumpet, and god knows my old PGR time trial times show I am not the fastest guy by any means. But last night on Spa, I was in second place not a million miles behind Meerman (yeah I know, he got lucky and was somehow in the lead, but bear with me :P ), and until the final bend ahead of Harns - using a pad with all assists off. It really isn't that bad at all. If I can do it, anyone can :)

Boozy Cruise in Bahrain

The world of Formula 1 was rocked today in the first qualifying session of the new season when Boozy McLovin Stewart stormed into pole position in his debut in Dubai. Racing for the new Lotus team in a car that wasn't expected to make it past Q3, he managed to put in an ever increasing performance across all three qualifying sectors. Even overtaking Massa during the final qualifying session

His team engineer Newky Broon was delighted with his new rookie's performance and commented "It's fookin' great, the coont was fast as fook!"

Mark Webber who was pipped for pole by the flying scotsman was heard to say "Strewth, the bugger blew me away, now get out my way I need some energy drinks as my throat's as dry as a dead dingo's dobber."

Despite appearing as ageing, balding and quite frankly too fat to even fit in an F1 car this new rook was seen leaving the paddock with no less than all 24 grid girls holding him aloft and screaming "We Love Boozy!"

It remains to be seen if he'll be fit for tomorrows race.

Has anyone had the game freeze on them at all? Twice now (once last night and once today) it has frozen for maybe 3 seconds, as though the game has crashed, then it carries on again. Didn't hear anyone say anything last night while we were playing online so I assume it was just me then.

edit: should have looked on the official forums - seems it is happening to a fair few people (360 version). Not good.

Going well in 5th in our rllmuk race when I looked away for a second... and rammed into the wall. Pitted, dropped to 9th and tyres were still warming up when I see a blip on the radar - kept him at bay for a lap or so, until I broke early for a corner and smashed into him - turns out he was the race leader :facepalm:

Has anyone had the game freeze on them at all? Twice now (once last night and once today) it has frozen for maybe 3 seconds, as though the game has crashed, then it carries on again. Didn't hear anyone say anything last night while we were playing online so I assume it was just me then.

I just had the sound cut out completely, fucking shit when you rely on it for gear changes (voice and everything else still fine). And after sitting through what felt like half an hour's arguing about the race format too!

Well this is fucking great. Installed from Steam tonight. Just get a weird load of corrupted graphics. Installed the latest ATi driver (I've got a HD48xx) and a Core Quad thingy.

PC gaming - fuck off.

Time to bin this shit and get the Civ V download finished.

This is the first game I've tried with a wheel (outside the arcade) so I stuck in on a long race weekend to get used to it in Bahrain. I can either string together an okay lap or be complete shite, my Lotus has had more new noses in one practice that Michael Jackson. And I fucking hate sector two... Enjoying it though.

The cutting corners code is really harsh, I've been ping for it for going wide on the outside of some turns, that's definitely not an advantage.

What sort of saturation settings are people using with the MS wheel?

It's a great game but it's got the usual Codies "polish" where no-one thought to playtest even a tiny bit.

20% race tonight, half the cars didn't bother pitting and Liuzzi won from Trulli. Meanwhile I got penalised for intentional blocking because I spun.

Good races tonight lads :)

I hate to blow my own trumpet, and god knows my old PGR time trial times show I am not the fastest guy by any means. But last night on Spa, I was in second place not a million miles behind Meerman (yeah I know, he got lucky and was somehow in the lead, but bear with me :P ), and until the final bend ahead of Harns - using a pad with all assists off. It really isn't that bad at all. If I can do it, anyone can :)

I will gradually try to play with all help switched off, but for now I'm sticking to a few assists. Mostly ABS and Traction Control, because I still spin out quite often.

Blimey, frequenting the codemasters forums isn't the best idea in the world. All sorts of issues showing up for people. Some not game breaking, but illusion breaking for sure.

It seems when qualifying, the A.I cars going out on track is purely cosmetic and the game randomly gives out times for them based on who they are rather than what times they did out on track.

It seems my first two races with topsy turvy results was because their is also a bug where some A.I cars don't pit during the race.

Beggers belief how they could release the game with so many problems that must have been noticed during testing.

Oh and maybe I'm missing something, but my engineer will sometimes suggest I try my teammates setup, but I'm buggered if I can find that option anywhere?

Good races tonight lads :)

I will gradually try to play with all help switched off, but for now I'm sticking to a few assists. Mostly ABS and Traction Control, because I still spin out quite often.

yeah thanks for the races guys :) sorry if i was getting in the way, thoes were my first races in the game, i only realised for the last 2 i had all the aids off apart from auto gears, i was spining out all over the place, put TC to medium for the last 2 but was still spining out a lot, will try with the wheel tomorrow.

Blimey, frequenting the codemasters forums isn't the best idea in the world. All sorts of issues showing up for people. Some not game breaking, but illusion breaking for sure.

It seems when qualifying, the A.I cars going out on track is purely cosmetic and the game randomly gives out times for them based on who they are rather than what times they did out on track.

It seems my first two races with topsy turvy results was because their is also a bug where some A.I cars don't pit during the race.

Beggers belief how they could release the game with so many problems that must have been noticed during testing.

Oh and maybe I'm missing something, but my engineer will sometimes suggest I try my teammates setup, but I'm buggered if I can find that option anywhere?

The Codemaster forum members are right though. And that's just singleplayer stuff. You can make a list of at least 10 things we've seen gone wrong in multiplayer games.

None of it is really deal breaking, but this game could have used at least another month (or two) of development time. Let's hope a patch gets released very soon.

yeah thanks for the races guys :) sorry if i was getting in the way, thoes were my first races in the game, i only realised for the last 2 i had all the aids off apart from auto gears, i was spining out all over the place, put TC to medium for the last 2 but was still spining out a lot, will try with the wheel tomorrow.

You held up pretty well though :) Enjoy the game!

As Joe said, quite a few of the reports there are 100% correct and tally with what I have experienced.

The most annoying (and almost deal-breaking) issue I have found is that the AI are not affected by fuel weight. Not sure if it happens on all circuits, but if you're doing career and you get to Barcelona, save yourself the bother and don't try and do the race. Within two laps the AI (all of them, including the Lotuses, the HRT's and my buddy di Grassi) were going 1.2 seconds quicker than the pole time, whereas I was struggling around 5 seconds slower and unable to get anywhere near them.

Slightly maddening - am going to move onto Monaco and see if it happens there too. Really hope not, but the AI behaviour is totally all over the shop. I finished 8th at Bahrain and Melbourne and could feasibly have been even higher, I struggled to 16th and 17th at Sepang and China and then finished 24th by a country mile at Barcelona. At the moment the career mode isn't so much about how well you perform, but how broken the AI are at whatever circuit you are driving on. Almost not worth playing through it :(.

I like it and hate it at the same time. A real marmite game for me.

I enjoy online, but then thats true of most racing games but SP mode isn't much fun really and i'm not a lover of F1 really anyway. Far prefer the closer, more intense racing of lower leagues.

Sorry about last night BTW, i pulled my internet connection out.