Formula 1 - Codemasters

Day 34 in the Big Brother House:

be aware like...you've picked up some gravel like....be aware like...you've picked up some gravel like....be aware like...

I stick with my comment about the handling, but it's a soulless game and for that reason I'm out. Carry on :)

Have you tried, like, keeping out of the gravel?

Sharky, be careful around Karzee, for he is a prrrriiiccckkkkk.

I know, he uses traction control like a proper special ;)

That's because he's an 'arcade type'.

Blergh!

HA!

Last night a bunch of us had an online race at Monza. Not knowing the track too well we were all relieved to hear that it was quite a simple track to learn and drive on. All, that is, except Meerman. If I recall his words correctly he said, "I'm alright, I know Monza by heart".

Now have a guess which position Meerman finished in.

Meerman is a sim-snob. He'd rather drive like an out-of-control arsehole rather than admit to having a bit of traction control on.

:P

HA!

I couldn't help it when you were parked PERPENDICULARLY on the track and I couldn't stop in time to avoid smashing into you. :lol:

Not only did you finish last you also picked up a +1 Lap penalty....the only one I saw in the entire evening of racing! I mean, I saw plenty of +10 sec penalties for corner taking but what on earth did you do to warrant a +1 lap?

In fact I've just checked F1 rulebook. It says,"+1 Lap Penalty - Awarded to racers who are a liability to themselves and other racers, and who drives without care, attention, or control."

Finally got my hands on the game today and had a half day at work to give it a spin.

Really impressed with it, especially as I managed to grab a Mad Catz wheel from CEX for £18. The car handling with a steering wheel it absoultely spot on and even the feedback via the pedals feels good with the car twitching if you accerlate too quickly out of a tight corner for example.

Did some time trial runs and just started 7 year career. Noticed a little slow down in places but generally the game seems to move at a fast pace.

Only gripe, the Geordie engineer. Hope he goes for F1 2011!

Overall, superb and hours are going to fly by that's for sure.

just been chatting to my mate who has the official racing wheel and never uses it, the same guy that bought dirt 2 over a year ago and still has it shrink wrapped on his shelf! he never uses it or plays any game other than MW2

he said i could borrow it at some point, i might even be able to get it off him for a decent price :D not sure if he wants to sell it though as i let slip that they'd stopped making them, we'll see though.

ive gone into gametstation with a fully shrink wrapped game from elsewhere before now and swapped em over like for like , as long as they were the same price

Tried that, was asked for a receipt to prove I had bought it from them & not stolen it. Had my delivery note but was told I could only trade it in :lol: Will have to see how good zavvi's customer service department is now.

By the end of the evening we were jumping into rooms with randoms and having some blistering races, I'm taking about real nose-to-tail stuff, looking to an opening to get past each other, making split-second decisions, and taking risks. And it's here that F1 2010 shines as a great racer; when players are confident in their abilites and begin to push hard to overtake cleanly. It is so bloody exciting. There was one race with Harns, McSpeed, and myself, racing the full 3 laps in close proximity of each other, knowing we were all so close, and racing as hard as we could but in the end we were so well matched (for that one race anyway) that afterwards McSpeed said, "That was the most exciting race I have ever been in that had no overtaking", and he was absolutely right.

So much this. And to think this race was on the Hungaroring! :blink:

That's because he's an 'arcade type'.

Blergh!

Shut it, you 'simmy'! Us arcade types rely much more on actual skill and less on technical tinkering and stuff :quote:

This calls for a team vs. team race! How about Karzee and me vs. Harns and you?

Tried that, was asked for a receipt to prove I had bought it from them & not stolen it. Had my delivery note but was told I could only trade it in :lol: Will have to see how good zavvi's customer service department is now.

pretty good from my experience, you should have got a returns form thing with the game i think? (it might be part of the delivery note) i phoned them up and they gave me a number to write on it with fallout 3 when it kept freezing at a certain point and then they sent me a replacement, it's their error so you shouldn't have any problems!

my F1 2010 is inbound, hopefully tomorrow but if not then monday :)

Shut it, you 'simmy'! Us arcade types rely much more on actual skill and less on technical tinkering and stuff :quote:

This calls for a team vs. team race! How about Karzee and me vs. Harns and you?

1385922-marshall_large.jpg

"Heheheh...sure..."

Assists off though.

Not keen on the career mode so far :unsure: I'm playing on Medium but just blew everyone away in my shitty Lotus Cosworth. No matter what difficulty you play on you shouldn't be able to finish above 15th in them! Just doesn't feel right.

I know I can push up the difficulty but I really don't think I'll be good enough for Hard yet.

That's another point, how does difficulty progress? In other racers the races just get harder as you progress. Is there a curve like that in this or do you ramp up the hardness by just changing difficulty settings accordingly?

1385922-marshall_large.jpg

"Heheheh...sure..."

Assists off though.

No, it's unplayable with a pad without assists. Besides, you could go faster without them with a wheel in Forza, too.

Not keen on the career mode so far :unsure: I'm playing on Medium but just blew everyone away in my shitty Lotus Cosworth. No matter what difficulty you play on you shouldn't be able to finish above 15th in them! Just doesn't feel right.

I know I can push up the difficulty but I really don't think I'll be good enough for Hard yet.

That's another point, how does difficulty progress? In other racers the races just get harder as you progress. Is there a curve like that in this or do you ramp up the hardness by just changing difficulty settings accordingly?

Just change the AI difficulty from Medium to Professional, that should offer a good challenge.

Completed the Bahrain GP in career mode in my Lotus. I fricking love sector three, not so keen on sector two! Sickingly spun out on the final lap that cost me a place in the points. Although that was my mistake, I was less impressed that the pitstop bug does hit a bit even on 30% races. It must have cost me at least four places! :angry:

Also lost a few places at the start of the GP due to the game suddenly defaulting to the cockpit view, despite the fact I'd done all my practice and qualifying using the above cockpit view! A few seconds of wrong button-itus in panic mode due to that one.

That said so far I'm really enjoying it. It works a treat with my Logitech Driving Force GT wheel.

Just change the AI difficulty from Medium to Professional, that should offer a good challenge.

Still doesn't work though, the challenge of racing with Cosworth should be the challenge of not finishing last, regardless of the difficulty. Where Pro should mean it's bloody hard to finish in the bottom 3 whilst Easy means it's quite easy to finish in the bottom 5. For example.

Being able to pole and then win the first race with a crap car has just shattered my pathetic role playing mind.