Formula 1 - Codemasters

The cheeky fucker will have signed it himself.

He hasn't. He left the peel off sticker on it that they stick on their cards that you sign. Checked the post office website today with the tracking number and it shows as being processed with no signature for delivery yet.

Loving this thus far. Was a bit let down with my first race in the Lotus as I won it easily but after tweaking the driving aids, simulation options and driver ai it feels just right. Learning the track and tweaking your setup in practice, slowly improving you lap time. Driving the car on what you feel is the edge and only qualifying 17th. Snatching a 2 position on the last lap only to pile into the back of someone in the last corner and getting a +10 second penalty. Feeling authentically back-markerish. :wub:

Don't get me wrong, I love the people of Newcastle; but that geordie cunt can piss off.

Ah, so that's a geordie accent!

Speaking as a lovely person of Newcastle, that race engineers accent sounds a bit more mackum* than geordie to me.

Fucking well annoying.

Anyway, average as I am at the game, I'm loving it so far (handling aside, its got the exact same vibe as Grid had, which I loved). Only been using a pad but I'm finding it fine, totally playable and not as difficult as I'd anticipated.

May raid the shed and get out the wheel (and Workmate) for some online though.

*Mackum = a dweller of Sunderland, a small town 8 miles south of Newcastle.

I had a great night of racing online yesterday. I joined Meerman who had assembled a load of muk'ers and we did 3 or 4 20% races with Qualifying and it surprised me how much fun doing the qualifying actually was. Most of us spent the 15 mins learning the track and just trying to complete one single valid lap. Nailing a lap and seeing your name jump up the table is a real buzz. The races themselves were fast, frantic, and bloody dangerous if it were real life. Cars were spinning off at corners which were then hit by other cars, debris spraying all over the road, yellow flags were constantly being waved, and loads of penalties being handed out (we had pit-lane drive throughs, +10 sec & +1 lap penalties, and disqualifications). In one race there were eight drivers; by the end of the race three finished, four were disqualified, and one driver wrecked his own car (hi Dimahoo! :bye:). Don't let all this put anyone else off though, this is just the initial period of players learning the track layout and how to race at such high speeds.

Later our group consisted of McSpeed, Harns, Dimahoo, U1 v2, and me so we decided to do a load of Sprint races (3 laps, no qualifying, dry weather) to get to know some of the tracks. All of us surpassed or failed at some point and it was great fun. In one race I ripped my nose cone off on lap 1 so I pitted, accidentally picked Intermediate tyres, hit a wall on Lap 2 ripping my nose cone off again and puncturing both front tyres, then spent 2 mins nurturing my car all the way back to the pit lane again, and forgot to change my tyres back to slicks :doh:. Some of the tracks clicked straight away and became favourites, others we held judgement on because they're going to need a lot of practise, and one was just hated by all of us (Abu Dhabi). Over the course of the evening we began to suss out the handling of the cars, the best car set-ups to use, and the tracks themselves. By the end of the evening we were jumping into rooms with randoms and having some blistering races, I'm taking about real nose-to-tail stuff, looking to an opening to get past each other, making split-second decisions, and taking risks. And it's here that F1 2010 shines as a great racer; when players are confident in their abilites and begin to push hard to overtake cleanly. It is so bloody exciting. There was one race with Harns, McSpeed, and myself, racing the full 3 laps in close proximity of each other, knowing we were all so close, and racing as hard as we could but in the end we were so well matched (for that one race anyway) that afterwards McSpeed said, "That was the most exciting race I have ever been in that had no overtaking", and he was absolutely right.

There are shortcomings to the game (very dull watching a results screen for 10mins if you've crashed out), and there are several annoying bugs (Drivers Aid line disappearing, sound completely screwing up fixed only by rebooting game), but the thrill of racing is there and actual driving is spot on, and its this that will keep me coming back again and again.

If anyone finds themselves spinning out too often then wack the Traction aid up to full. I tried switching it from Medium to Full last night and it made a BIG difference, and felt I could attack corners with far more aggression.

Bought it from Zavvi but the game is fully shrinkwrapped still. Will chance it anyway this afternoon.

Give GAME a call, say that it was a pressie sent from across the country, that you don't have the receipt but that it is still shrink wrapped, and ask if you could swap it for a 360 version. They can only say no. Offer to buy something from the shop if they um and ah about it.

karzee am i right in thinking you have the logitech wheel? (or is it dimahoo.. or neither of you!) i seem to remember one of you saying you have it

or anybody who has it, what's it like? i want to get it really, but i just know it's awkward for me to use it as when i play i'm in my room and it's cramped as fuck, not really enough space. :(

still would be nice to have a decent wheel though, also does it work on the pc?

Ah ok so it's similar to Grid. Looks like I do have a chance for the level 50 cheeve then!

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

grid pissed me the fuck off when i was going for the top online rank achievement, i was so close and then because they made a glitchy game they reset EVERYBODY to rank 1

is f1 2010 does this i will go fucking nuts! i like my achievements. :blush: not so much as i used to, admittedly

karzee am i right in thinking you have the logitech wheel? (or is it dimahoo.. or neither of you!) i seem to remember one of you saying you have it

or anybody who has it, what's it like? i want to get it really, but i just know it's awkward for me to use it as when i play i'm in my room and it's cramped as fuck, not really enough space. :(

I've got the official MS wheel (it's a very good piece of kit), and clip it onto the seat of a chair. My set-up works like a doozy, uses minimal space, and cost nothing (bar the wheel itself).

I would gladly accept your challenge sir, but I have a gig tonight. You about Sunday night?

:D Sounds good.

Snoops, have you read this thread? Force Feedback steering wheels (Xbox360)