Formula 1 - Codemasters

tyler

Had a couple of time trials on this, and it's exactly what I was expecting: a 'sim lite', like DiRT2. It's very convincing and ticking all the right boxes, but it's hardly a sim on a Forza scale (which in turn isn't quite a PC-style sim either) of physics. To be fair, I find it a bit too easy (but satisfying) to control, even with all the assists off and all 'sim' options ticked as well (unless I'm missing something too). So the wheels lock up when braking too hard, and when you're not careful on the throttle you will lose the back end, but it's not as sensitive as I thought. F1 cars have really good grip, downforce and suspension to counter the sheer power in the rear axle, but if they're this 'easy' to handle IRL as they are in this game...well I don't know as I've never driven in one, obviously (and probably never will, like the rest of us). Maybe it gets harder in rainy conditions...

So basically what Joe McSpeed was blabbing about regarding "back to the drawing board for Meerman" and "OMG IT'S REALLY SERIOUSLY HARD, LOL"...No, it isn't (maybe with a controller it is, but someone else just said it's very nice using one). I just have to learn a couple of new tracks (the ones new to me) and the braking points on the ones I already know, and that's it; instant Joe pwnage time.

It's fucking lovely to play with a wheel. Bring on the Boozy Time Trials!

And Dimahoo was right. Dimahoo is always right.

You know you've got a good girlfriend when she texts asking "What are you up to tonight?" and when you reply with "Playing Formula 1" she asks "Do you want an extra spectator?" :)

The real test is when you reply with "no I really have to concentrate on this season".

Thus far I've managed to have my MS wheel decide that it's neutral position is about 15 degrees clockwise, followed by a lock up of non moving traffic in the pits. The 5 minutes practice I managed prior to that was alright though!

edit: Also, what's with games having loads of options but not offering any indication of what these options actually change in the manual or any help text or anything? What's the difference between a full race weekend and a short one, for a start? And can someone explain all the option tyre stuff, like what's the actual racing difference, does the three I have of those and other tyres have to last the whole weekend (inc. practise, qualifying and that) and so on? Ta.

I'm kind of beginning to notice more annoying things about this now, sadly. The AI is very rubber bandish - at Malaysia di Grassi, who had spent all weekend being outpaced by me by over a second a lap, stopped later than me, and while he was ahead suddenly began lapping only 0.5 per lap off the leader. This jumped him ahead, and thereafter he was totally uncatchable. The AI reacts nicely when in battles, but it seems not to be consistent - too slow in some areas, massively too quick in others. It just feels strange and a bit broken.

There also seems to be an issue with changing gear, and the game having some sort of delay on reacting to your command to do so. There have been a number of times where I have been coming into corners, shifted down and then had a delay on the shift that has caused me to run wide. It's especially annoying into hairpins, particularly as the game seems to take the (wrong, in my opinion) standpoint that if you have locked the brakes and are turning the wheel even slightly then you're going to be sent into an instant, unrecoverable spin. In low gears perhaps, but in 3rd and 4th? Nah.

It's still kinda fun, but I am getting the impression I'm going to get the most out of this racing against you lot rather than in the single player modes.

Just had a nightmare session with this. I'm only doing time-trialing at the moment, but I'm struggling to coordinate my hands and feet, and I'm all over the place.

Switched it off in frustration. I think I'm gonna have to just practice and practice until it feels a bit more natural. I can stay on the track if I tip-toe round it, but the moment I try to push it I'm losing my way and then getting into a flap.

Ok, so this might just be because this is my first racing game with a wheel, but the last 2 hours or so on practice then quali in Bahrain have possibly been the most rewarding two hours of gaming ever. Leaving on on ABS and traction control, I started off absolutely terribly as you'd expect, all over the place, unable to even stick to the nice racing line that I left painted on the track. Every corner was a surprise, I felt like I was permanently on the break rather than the gas. I was poor. But then over the next god knows how many laps something amazing happened. It all started to come together. No longer was the hair pin on turn 1 a thing of terror, and as soon as I was out of it I was flat through turns 2 and 3. Seconds came off my lap times, S2 remained quite ropey, but S3 was coming together. I had a go at quali (on Medium) and I hit P7 in a lotus in Q1, finally scoring P12 in Q2. I was over the moon :) The TV has now been commandeered by the wife, but I can't wait for the race. And all of this is around Bahrain. I hate to think what Spa will do to me!

I definitely need a wheel. 7 laps in Japan and I was getting hand cramp, found it difficult to keep my racing line and spun like an idiot, making apking spin out to avoid me :( And on the following lap, almost taking out Meerman! Suzuka's constant high then low then high speed again corners didn't help.

They also need to rejig the wording a bit - posted a qualifying time in our online game, saw it was a full 14 seconds behind that Hans dude and I couldn't be arsed to drive back to the pits, so picked 'Quit Session'. Oops. Made sense at the time.

Also, did a few quick races after in Brazil - as I was turning into the second tight corner of sector 2, the guy behind me drove into my wheel, launching him into the sky doing a pirouette!

Soong: had to pit as you need to use both types of tyres. Just seemed weird the big names all ended up wallowing mid-field.

Just been playing online with Meerman and a few guys from here (who is casserole? apologies for not accepting your friend invite straightaway - I thought some random had looked for people playing online and tried nabbing me :) ) and it was awesome.

I do think the game makes a fair few concessions for pad users though. All assists off and didn't spin that often, and locking up the wheels is nigh on impossible. That's good though, seeing as the wheels are hard to come by. Plus it means I can remain a lazy bastard and play it lying down on the couch :)

Really good fun though, and reminds me of why Forza 2 sucked me in night after night for months and months playing online.

I honestly thought open wheel racing with people of all skill levels would be a recipe for disaster, but it was just amazing. Oh and Meerman only mentioned Forza twice, that's how absorbing this game is ;)

Blimey - I cannot emphasise enough just how much better this game is with a wheel. Hooked up my G25 to the PS3, went to career in my Virgin and never looked back. Car feels nice to drive all of a sudden, and you can take it easy on the gas at the right time. I'd probably go as far to say that this game should really only be used with a wheel in the first place.

Only slight issue my new-found control has given me is that it's suddenly made the game rather easy. On the hardest difficulty with no aids I qualified 13th for Bahrain in a Virgin and then finished 8th.Reasonably confident that I will probably be winning races before the season is out.

That was ace! After the first practice in single player left me wondering what the hell I'd got myself into, a little multiplayer really got me into the feel of it all. Some top moments, Sjoerd(?) getting disqualified for driving back down the track to the pit during qualifying, Dimahoo destroying his car just as he was about to make a pass, awesome stuff :lol: Shame you can't spectate / save replays really :(

The bugs are a pain in the arse though, the magical disappearing braking lines did me no good (I've not heard of half the tracks, never mind know them!), and I'm lucky the godawful sound problem some were having only hit me as we were finishing I guess - that'd be a nightmare on a longer race.

Ah, so that's a geordie accent!

Just had a nightmare session with this. I'm only doing time-trialing at the moment, but I'm struggling to coordinate my hands and feet, and I'm all over the place.

Switched it off in frustration. I think I'm gonna have to just practice and practice until it feels a bit more natural. I can stay on the track if I tip-toe round it, but the moment I try to push it I'm losing my way and then getting into a flap.

Can I ask if you're driving a car IRL? If not, then that may be the problem. Have you ever gone go-karting? It's a bit like that, I reckon.

In any case...MAN UP. :)

Meerman only mentioned Forza twice, that's how absorbing this game is ;)

:P

Blimey - I cannot emphasise enough just how much better this game is with a wheel. Hooked up my G25 to the PS3, went to career in my Virgin and never looked back. Car feels nice to drive all of a sudden, and you can take it easy on the gas at the right time. I'd probably go as far to say that this game should really only be used with a wheel in the first place.

Only slight issue my new-found control has given me is that it's suddenly made the game rather easy. On the hardest difficulty with no aids I qualified 13th for Bahrain in a Virgin and then finished 8th.Reasonably confident that I will probably be winning races before the season is out.

QFT

So basically what Joe McSpeed was blabbing about regarding "back to the drawing board for Meerman" and "OMG IT'S REALLY SERIOUSLY HARD, LOL"...No, it isn't (maybe with a controller it is, but someone else just said it's very nice using one). I just have to learn a couple of new tracks (the ones new to me) and the braking points on the ones I already know, and that's it; instant Joe pwnage time.

I reckon that might be the difference between the pad and the wheel.

Still curious about your times and performance against both Professional/Legendary AI AND us lot, though :)

Wheel is a thousand million times better than the pad, if you can get a wheel, get one.

:(

This has the best simulation of a gearbox Ive ever played. at first I was pissed off with it because there seemed to be a huge delay between my pressing and the downshifts happening. At first I was waiting to hear the car downshift before doing another like I do in most other games, but then I figured I should just do it like they do on TV and knock out five rapid-fire downshifts into a slow corner. Then it's like the car does the rest and changes down at a pre-determined rate.

Apart from that, I have to play on TV cam because it's just not fast enough in cockpit view. That's quite a disappointment.

Oh, and that new bit on Bahrain is really shit