Formula 1 - Codemasters

tyler

A few of questions:

1. Can you design your own helmet?
  2. Can you save a full race as a replay?
  3. Can you record parts of a replay and post it online like in Forza?

1. No. The full selection is in my first impressions part 1 video.

2. No.

3. No.

HeliosCM - I don't know if you come in here anymore but could you add these as user wants for F1 2011 please.

Codies have been slacking on the replay front for a while now, it was noticable in Dirt so I'm surprised there isn't more here. I'm not that bothered by it but it seems strange that they don't let you make more of that amazing graphics engine.

Not long to go now...

Codies have been slacking on the replay front for a while now, it was noticable in Dirt so I'm surprised there isn't more here. I'm not that bothered by it but it seems strange that they don't let you make more of that amazing graphics engine.

Not long to go now...

There's a good few years for them to invest in that; however it's not something that's going to help sell games/etc so I doubt they deem it worthwhile...

Chaps, some advice please. Would like to get a wheel and the only one available at the moment is the Mad Catz 360 wheel (link below). Has anyone used this before? Is it any good and is it stable enough to go on your lap as unfortunately I don't have a spare table - cheers!

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/Accessories/Xbox-360/Steering-Wheels-and-Accessories/Mad-Catz-360-Wheel/~r407343/?d=1z13fwjZ1z13frd

Chaps, some advice please. Would like to get a wheel and the only one available at the moment is the Mad Catz 360 wheel (link below). Has anyone used this before? Is it any good and is it stable enough to go on your lap as unfortunately I don't have a spare table - cheers!

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/Accessories/Xbox-360/Steering-Wheels-and-Accessories/Mad-Catz-360-Wheel/~r407343/?d=1z13fwjZ1z13frd

i have it, very basic - no force feedback, does the job but you want to get it if you do for as far under £20 as you can, you'd be mad to pay £40 - that said it's alright i guess! it had a stage of not working but now works fine, might dust off the cobwebs when this is released to see what it's like

it's £18 in cex

http://uk.webuy.com/search/index.php?stext=madcatz+mc2&ispostback=1&mode=buy

i havent used it much on my lap but when i did it was alright i guess, it has plastic sliders that come out to hook over the outside of your thighs.

i think this wheel is seen as the best for the price range

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-DriveFX-Racing-Wheel-Xbox/dp/B000GLL1LU

but not sure where you'll get it from

I would try a bit harder to get the official MS wheel for nearly double the price, but it's well worth it.

Vibration feedback doesn't even get close to real force feedback. Having the latter really makes the difference...ask Myoozikk.

HeliosCM - I don't know if you come in here anymore but could you add these as user wants for F1 2011 please.

He's off on holiday for a couple of weeks (honeymoon, actually - booked long before the release date was set), but I'll pass it on.

Is it any good and is it stable enough to go on your lap as unfortunately I don't have a spare table - cheers!

In my experience no wheel works on your lap, probably better off with a pad.

Interested to hear if anyone has found different though.

I would try a bit harder to get the official MS wheel for nearly double the price, but it's well worth it.

Vibration feedback doesn't even get close to real force feedback. Having the latter really makes the difference...ask Myoozikk.

You can feel the back end stepping out, don't ask me how, it's witchcraft I tells you!!!! I'd spend the extra tbh! It makes a huge difference.

In my experience no wheel works on your lap, probably better off with a pad.

Interested to hear if anyone has found different though.

Agreed it's impossible, too low and moves too much, makes it impossible to control anything.

He's off on holiday for a couple of weeks (honeymoon, actually - booked long before the release date was set), but I'll pass it on.

Nice one! Cheers.

I'd also like to add to that list that there really should be a helmet design for the Dutchies. I'm not one (thank God) but there are a lot of the little bastards our fellow Europeans from there on this forum who should have been catered for.

Only the official wheel is wireless. For now. As I mentioned earlier Mad-Catz are working on a new wireless wheel.

More details

madcatz-wheel-e3-2010-js.jpg

I'd probably track down an official wheel whilst you can. They still seem to be in stock in plenty of highstreet stores, here in the north west at least. I imagine that will change come this weekend.

Not being able to save replays is a stupid oversight.

Honestly, it doesn't matter...it's not going to make Codies any more sales, and it won't lose sales, so it's fine to drop.

With the dev time available it probably could well have happened if there had been a real want for it though; unless the EGO engine is not quite what it's been made out to be?

Right, put some more hours in today, so here's some more impressions. The thing that mostly comes to mind when I play this: F1 2010 really is back to school, even for (fairly) seasoned racing game players. It's got HARD written all over it.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THIS GAME!

Seriously, I'm playing this with ABS on (no Brake Assist, thank God), Traction Control on Full and even the Dynamic Line on (may be due to the pad, but we'll see how wheel users fare). Basically all of the tracks I know by heart, but finding the proper lines and braking points with an F1 car is a totally different story. I keep braking either just too late or way too early. Aside from that, I still find myself getting my car back to front once (or twice) every two or three laps.

Also, I never realized how strict the rules of Formula One racing actually are. When you get off track and try to get back on, it's very hard not to get penalized for 'dangerous driving'. It's a matter of just not seeing a car going past, and BAM!, you've got a 10 second penalty. I certainly wouldn't recommend playing with the rules on Realistic, and starting with Reduced. Again: don't underestimate this game.

It is a great one though. The physics are very nice, about on par with Forza 3's I'd say. It looks good, although some of the vehicles textures tend to be a bit fuzzy. The engine sounds are spot-on, and actually most enjoyed when you're in a lap heading back to the pit and slowly shift down a couple of times. And most importantly, it's got the right vibe. From the moment you pull away from your pit box our launch your car from the grid, it's a proper Formula One racing game, reminiscent of the days of the Grand Prix game series.

Oh right, and I tried some multiplayer as well, which actually seems to work out quite well against randoms (although they're still mostly enthusiasts who got the game extra early). Waiting with proper impressions in that zone until you lot come online though :)

I'm almost definitely getting it tomorrow sir, so if I do perhaps we can hook up for a few test races and the like. Very much looking forward to it!

Regarding the replays and stuff, supposedly it's one of the major things Codies want to improve for 2011. Saving/uploading/editing - they definitely know people want it in, and they are hopefully going to get that all done for next year.