Formula 1 - Codemasters

Codemasters land F1 deal

Formula One is to have its first official computer game in more than two years next season following the capture of a new official licencing deal with British gaming company Codemasters, autosport.com can reveal.

The game is set to be available on all major home consoles, as well as handheld and PC gaming formats.

After weeks of discussion between Codemasters and Formula One Administration, it is anticipated that the company will produce the first game next year, based on the 2009 F1 season. This will be the first game that Lewis Hamilton will appear in.

Official Forums

Reading that I'm not sure when we'll see the game. They're usually later in the season but I hope Codemasters can get it out relatively early, at least during the first half of the 2009 season.

F1 on Xbox LIVE, yes please.

This is actually a pretty big thing. Sony have had the F1 games wrapped up for a long time, so it is great to see the Codies delving into their pockets and giving a new audience a chcance to play F1 games.

I'm delighted that F1 games are on the agenda but less so that it's Codies. I quite enjoyed DIRT but the GRID demo isn't great IMO. The handling feels so slippery compared to GT and PGR.

I always hoped that Polyphony would get a crack at it.

I can't rememeber the last Codemasters game I enjoyed. I used to look forward to anything by them in PS1 days. Master this code! *raises middle finger*

I do seem to generally get let down by Codemasters titles recently but I'm staying glued to the progress of this one.

This NEEDS to be good. I'm very impressed they've got the balls to shell out for what must have been a sodding expensive license. Although maybe the FIA wanted a bigger market too.

This NEEDS to be good. I'm very impressed they've got the balls to shell out for what must have been a sodding expensive license. Although maybe the FIA wanted a bigger market too.

Norty Mart on here was the senior producer on all the F1 games.

And fuck me that little bowl headed midget was getting a rather large wad for the license.

Who made the F1 World Grand Prix games? They were the last decent F1 titles I played. It going multi-platform is good news though, and Codemasters have a good record with racing games, so fingers crossed.

I believe that was Paradigm who also programmed Pilotwings64. I did enjoy those F1 games, but there output since has been less than stellar to be honest.

I did mention this in the F1 thread, but I thought Melbourne House's F1 game on the PS2 was a cracker.

I think Codemaster should get Sir Geoff Crammond, and Sega Racing team to work together.

Let hope it will be stunning.

As much as I like Sega's arcade racers, I would not want them anywhere near a F1 game.

I think F1 arcade games are pointless. Arcade games are better served with other racing disciplines - not F1.

Thats assuming they go down that route of course - but they won't make it too technical methinks and that kind of takes the whole Edge off it.

No reason we can't get an 'accessible' racer that delivers what F1 is, without it being too forgiving. Hope Codies can deliver the goods. I'd like to see something offering all options to do the full GP weekend and season, or just quick challenges/short races or series from your own choices. Legend cars would be great (as the PS3 F1 game had) and even a mechanic/engineer in the pits (on your radio), for tuning your car whilst on the track - for instant feedback and decision making on changes made.

I really enjoyed F1 '97 on the PS1. The F1 games on the N64 where pretty good too, can't remember who did them though!

Hopefully this will be good, big pressure on Codies to get it right. EA tried and failed with their F1 attempt, so with the marketing muscle EA have to fail it's a bold move for Codies to go for this.