DOOM - Rip and Tear... Anywhere

Playing through this slowly.  Currently on Argent facility.  This is definitely better than I was expecting and exactly what I was hoping for.  It's definitely got the original Doom feel to it.  I'm not great on FPS's so playing through on Hurt Me Plenty and that's certainly giving me a good challenge.

Really enjoying this now :)  The moment I switch to loving it was when I lept off a rock onto a Cacodeamon that was floating over an infinite drop, ripped out its eye and jumped off its corpse onto the next platform. 

Tried a bit of multiplayer and I'm not sold on it yet, but it has potential. As long as someone mods out the announcer voice ASAP! What a wet lettuce!

Only just got this, it was £36 on Prime Now and I couldn't resist. It's great so far! I've honestly loved all of the modern Wolfenstein/Doom/Quake games since RTCW, but this seems to be the purest experience so far. Absolutely no-nonsense gameplay.

Other games are climbing over themselves to add stories and cutscenes and philosophy and all that shit, but give me a super shotgun, hoardes of well-designed enemies and a banging soundtrack over any of that.

I am not loving this as much as others.  Not to say the game is bad, it isn't, but for me its very underwhelming so far, it feels strangely lightweight and I am often left feeling detached from the by-the-numbers combat.   Seeing as Wolfenstein was mentioned, where that was entertaining and gripping throughout, this feels the opposite, I seem to be playing just to complete it and move on to the next game.  The music is also terrible, distractingly bad.  I am about 7 hours in, and frankly i prefer Doom 3 by some distance so far.

4 minutes ago, marcus said:

I am not loving this as much as others.  Not to say the game is bad, it isn't, but for me its very underwhelming so far, it feels strangely lightweight and I am often left feeling detached from the by-the-numbers combat.   Seeing as Wolfenstein was mentioned, where that was entertaining and gripping throughout, this feels the opposite, I seem to be playing just to complete it and move on to the next game.  The music is also terrible, distractingly bad.  I am about 7 hours in, and frankly i prefer Doom 3 by some distance so far.

With so many good games around why on earth would play one for 7 hrs that you found

very underwhelming

lightweight

where that was entertaining and gripping throughout, this feels the opposite

playing just to complete it

Seriously if I felt that way about a game after 1 hr I'd bin it :)

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, marcus said:

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

I like Wolfenstein a lot, but the combat in this is leagues ahead. It's faster, has much better level and enemy design, the weapons pack more punch and it has proper strafing. It's a combat masterclass. Playing this makes you realise how by-the-number the combat in most games is, I'd say.

• Upvote 3

Yeah It is great, it took me a while to adjust to the pace, you just can't afford to stand still most of the time. And noe mistake means instant death , especially at the beginning. The need to constantly change weapons still trip me up on occasion. The enemies move so fast I find myself at point blank with an imp when I have the RL out and blow myself up :) 

19 minutes ago, Strategos said:

I do love the super shotgun, but find it is feck all good for Pinkies and mancubi. I do love the plasma stun shot though to get some breathing room. Then line em up for a siege blast - so satisfying! 

You can one shot a Pinkie with the super shotgun, you've just got to work out their trick....

23 minutes ago, Strategos said:

Yeah It is great, it took me a while to adjust to the pace, you just can't afford to stand still most of the time. And noe mistake means instant death , especially at the beginning. The need to constantly change weapons still trip me up on occasion. The enemies move so fast I find myself at point blank with an imp when I have the RL out and blow myself up :) 

Yeah, and I love games that basically want you to keep moving, it creates highly dynamic gameplay. Wasn't much trouble for me adjusting to it, as Uncharted 4 does the same in the TPS space, especially on higher difficulties, but whereas that game could probably use more combat, this is just relentless. 

There are times when I come out of a fight and think: damn, that was intense. Love it.

I love the end of a big battle. The music dies down, the 'checkpoint reached' notification pops up in the top left corner, and you sit back, take a huge breath, and take a sip of your lukewarm cup of tea to celebrate.

• Upvote 7

I did that at the start of the game! Saw him ripping the shackles off, my kettle boiled in the kitchen right next to my Man Cave, so I stood and made my tea, sat back down, and I am dead.

We are so used to Ubitutorials now that we assume you will start with many scene setting pieces, how to jump, how to select weapons, the characters deep and twisted backstory and their motivations for getting into the predicament in the first place.

Doom? Fuck off, you are dead. :wub:

• Upvote 2

For me the game has a few flaws.

1 - Way too much superfluous shit.

Stat upgrades. Suit upgrades. Weapon mods. Upgrades for weapon mods. Rune challenges. Random challenges. Data logs. Secrets. Weapon mastery challenges. Rune slots and upgrades. I just feel there's too much of this shit. None of it is offensively bad but it doesn't do it for me at all.

2 - There is a lack of things to kill.

If you ignore unlocking the extra stuff above there is a lack of things to do in most levels. If you zip on through they feel pretty empty.

The game is designed with many empty corridors connecting a few combat bowls. It's fun, it works well, but I would personally prefer more enemy density in general.

3 - The audio sounds weak and there are actual playback glitches. The fx/sound design, outside of the music, is mediocre.

4 - The multiplayer is a mess from a design perspective.

All that negativity aside this is easily id's best game and the best shooter I've played for a while. It looks amazing and runs like a dream while looking better than everything else out there. A technical masterpiece and really fun to play.

I know Doom has always had secrets. However, in the latest Doom they're placed alongside the other tedious nonsense on a digital to do list. It's not their presence I dislike, it's the abundance of tick box tasks in the missions.