Faking illness for gaming

Stilly

I've never called in sick for a game, but I have booked leave to coincide with a big game release - notably Halo 3 as my boss suggested I take the day off as he knew I'd rather be at home that day. :o

Never taken a sickie to play a game, but then I've also never been tempted to take a holiday to play games either. I've never been one for having mamoth sessions on a game, I'd only play something for a couple of hours before doing something else anyway.

No pre-meditated sickies, but I have stayed up until stupid 'o'clock playing Halo 2/3 and then called in sick the next day as there was no way I was going to survive a day at work on two hours sleep.

Don't tar me with the same brush as you slackers.

Moosegrinder at work yesterday

200px-wwf_mr_perfect.jpg

I booked time off, although for GTA:SA I had actually quite seriously injured myself, so I had ages off. Nice!

This time I had last week off for a similar injury but sadly I was well enough to return this week :lol:

I briefly considered doing it this week. Although having only ever had 2 sickies in 8 years of full time employment I couldn't bring myself to do it. To be honest, I genuinely can't spare the time at the moment.

A friend of mine managed to catch glandular fever when Majora's Mask was released and has been trying to find an infected person to lick for the last couple of weeks.

I've called in fake sickies for games maybe three times in five years. It's only something I could do before I had a kid though, as any "free" time off work with nothing pre-planned makes me an instant babysitter. (Which has the added weirdness that I both resent this fact and yet don't at the same time...do you get me?)

God, no. There was never a game important enough. Unfortunately I am too involved in my current job to pull that shit. Used to do it all the time for hangovers or even if I just couldn't be arsed but I'll come in to this job on a Friday still drunk from the night before...I've been sick at the train station a few mornings.

I did once stay up all night playing Syphon Filter 2 with a couple of mates and went straight into work at Barclays and still made it through the day. Found out that evening that one mate had done the same and the other had phoned in sick, the fucker. :lol:

Was sorely fucking tempted as I lay in bed last night though I must say.

Well i booked Tuesday off work, but come Wednesday morning, I really couln't be arsed and just wanted another day with GTA, so I rang in sick. Managed to return to work today, boss not overlly impressed. There really isnt enough hours in the day is there!

I do it at the drop of a hat. Where I work we unofficially have 10 sick days before HR stick their noses in. I think of it as extra leave.

But at the moment I'm on a years sabbatical, so no worries for me.

Must be a shit job if you're willing to do that :(

I used to do it if there was a game that I really wanted to play as I never really got a bloody day off. Even if I booked the day off it would be constant calls as people felt they needed to know stuff that I told them six times before.

I've never done it because of a game, but guess what... This week I am really ill. I've got the flu and I haven't really been able to play GTA half as much as I would have liked too. Anyway, back to my sick bed :(

I've started this thread because there's suddenly been a lot of male teenagers and young adults coming into A&E with abdominal pain/possible appendicitis, and since I've been on nights for the last few days, a lot of these possible surgical problems have been referred to me. Of course, all these lads could actually be genuinely ill but it's curious how they suddenly forget the severe abdo pain when I'm pressing firmly as soon as I start talking about GTA IV.

You've always wanted to write a piece for the Lancet, haven't you? Finally, an angle!

When I was in school, one of my friends was a subscriber to the Official Playstation Magazine. He'd get it every month and a day or 2 after left the demo disk to another friend. That second friend would always, without fail, be off sick the day after he got his hands on the demo disk.

I've never taken time off work for a game.

God, no. There was never a game important enough. Unfortunately I am too involved in my current job to pull that shit.

This is an important distinction. I wouldn't doubt that a fair few of us that HAVE pulled sickies for gaming did so with jobs that we placed little to no value in.

I've arranged days off for recent console launches, but can't see any reason for pulling a sickie just to play a game. A 3 or 4 hour session after work is easily enough - don't need a clear day for just one new game.

I had my pre-ordered GTAIV sent to my work place, as it's a better option for guaranteed delivery on the day. No good to me there if I've bunked off at home!

So we're all lying scum with the exception of the Dutchies?!

Yes. :wub:

I had 2 days off on Wednesday and Thursday due to Queens day and Ascension day. Back in work today though, but it's only the two of us here (the rest of the office took today off as well) so I'll be home after lunch again to play this.

Ive taken two sickies for games from what I remember.

First Being Tiny Toon Adventures on the Megadrive, it was the first one i had bought for the system (well i had sonic 1+2) and when it came i just said i was sick. I was 13 mind.

The second was Mario Sunshine, in which I stayed in bed all day playing.

I been off work sick for past two days, although that was genuine and ive only played gta4 for probably an hour or two so far.

I don't pull a sickie specifically to play a computer game - it's usually because I got up a little late or cba to go to work, however when I do my day involves sitting in my boxers watchin TV/DVD's, playing computer games and eating junk.

Although I do like to start the day with a tidy up, doing the dishes, hoovering etc. makes me feel better for being a lazy berk for the remainder of the day.

They are few and far between however, and as I cannot afford to go anywhere for a holiday I usually plan in advance and have long weekends booked.

Not about games, but my brother was an English teacher in Tokyo a few years ago, and pulled a sickie to pick up my other brother from the airport. He rang up work to say he was ill just when an airport announcement said "will Joe Blogs and Jodai Blackahanada go to the airpirt information desk". They fired him on the phone there and then.

Not about games, but my brother was an English teacher in Tokyo a few years ago, and pulled a sickie to pick up my other brother from the airport. He rang up work to say he was ill just when an airport announcement said "will Joe Blogs and Jodai Blackahanada go to the airpirt information desk". They fired him on the phone there and then.

Why the hell would he wait until he was at the airport to phone his work? :wub:

I took a week off for Halo 3, and I've got two days booked off for Rock Band. I'd never phone in sick for a game though, as I'd feel too guilty about it. :wub:

Thinking about it, I haven't taken a single day off sick in over a year!

There are very few games I've played for more than 2 hours a day. And that is an absolute maximum. I'd say that is about my weekly total these days...

So, no. I've faked illness to party, rave, shag or just plain chill... but so I could play a computer game? It ain't ever going to happen.