Metal Gear Solid 4

jeroenr

Man, I don't know what you people are on about. Final fight on Act V was easy as piss. I mean, I didn't even have any anxiety if I would die. Just when it gave me control I opened the briefing which reminded me of how to hit,

then I start avoiding him and just QTEing him (which was dead easy since all you have to do is press 2 buttons).

It was one of the most amazing videogame experiences I have evere had,

with the sun setting, the dialogue, the drama that these two characters were finally battling out till the end.

I mean, epic beyond belief...

So I'm half way through Act 2 on Big Boss Hard,

Just beat Laughing Octopus last night, this time with a non-lethal kill for the Beast form. Thanks for the tips on using the shotgun with the non-lethal bullets, although it still took a bloody long time. Another thing I've found during the second play through is that I didn't realise the multiple paths that you can take Act 2. After you've past the first major rebel battle (it starts off with Otacon warning you about snipers about) you have a left or right choice. I took right the first time, which if I recall correctly took me to another PMC-rebel fight. However this time I took left and first of all it took me to what I think was a rebel camp, which had plenty of ammo and some new weapons about and also had no PMCs to worry about. Then it went onto a part that had very few PMCs and then pretty much went straight to the mansion. Much better if you're taking a stealth approach.

Oh by the way, a handy tip to see your stats (if you're going for no alerts, no kills) during mid-act is to just view a mission briefing from the Main Menu and wait for the multiple camera section to occur where it shows the stats.

And as for the final fight on Act 5, I'll happily admit that it took me several attempts to do. I'm glad some of you managed to find it so piss easy but not everyone can be as great as some of you are :(. I'll also say that I thoroughly enjoyed that part, even if I did die many times.

One other thing BTW, by pressing Square during the Briefing scenes you can take control of the Mark II & move around checking out the Nomad while the Cutscene is going on. It definitely makes it more interesting to have an interactive point of view on the cutscene & this is also how you can get some secret items. You can even do this (& get the items) by selecting the Briefings from the main menu & then you can save your goodies over your most recent save without losing your progress & allowing you to start using them in the game.

Aye, though I feel for anyone who doesn't learn this from playing the actual game! I mean, it does tell you :(

Oh by the way, a handy tip to see your stats (if you're going for no alerts, no kills) during mid-act is to just view a mission briefing from the Main Menu and wait for the multiple camera section to occur where it shows the stats.

And as for the final fight on Act 5, I'll happily admit that it took me several attempts to do. I'm glad some of you managed to find it so piss easy but not everyone can be as great as some of you are :(. I'll also say that I thoroughly enjoyed that part, even if I did die many times.

My friend, I am generally shit at everything. I just found it too easy since I only had two moves that needed to be made. Hit, avoid/grab and then the QTEs.

I think the last fight took me two goes.

I was just happy to actually do the fight myself, during the cutscene before it all I could think was "DON'T ROB ME OF THIS BOSS FIGHT YOU CUTSCENE OBSESSED FUCK". Then the fight started and it was great.

It's has neat little touches too; like

the energy bars changing to be like the ones from the previous games, the different attacks resulting in awesome camera pans as the fight goes on, the epic last bit where they're both fucked and all you have to do is press R1 for those MASSIVE haymakers.

:( epic times indeed!

I finished this last night and to be honest I love it more than any other game in recent memory, although I completly agree with the comments made about it.

I have followed MGS since the PS1 game and thought this was a more than fitting ending,

christ I even shed a tear when I thought Snake was dead, and the whole wedding at the end with Otacon telling us that Snake has gone away to get better. Christ never in a game have I felt such emotion for the characters.

The story is convoluted and confusing but im going to go back through the series in order to see what I can work out as I am sure it will make a lot more sense then, but I feel for people who haven't played any of the games before, because I just cant see it making any sense to them at all.

My major gripe with the game lies with the cut scenes though. Not because they are too long etc, but because they are so fucking good. It really feels like I wont ever see anything like it again for a long time, which is a real shame. Time to sell the consoles and all the games and get back to life then?

Gnng. I really want to play this, but I want to play MGS3: Subsistence first. Unfortunately, it costs several million pounds today. I'm not sure why, but it's incredibly expensive.

To be honest not a great deal of MGS3 is covered, if you have played 1 and 2 you have more than enough information about how the story will flow, just get this played its fantastic.

It's has neat little touches too; like

the energy bars changing to be like the ones from the previous games, the different attacks resulting in awesome camera pans as the fight goes on, the epic last bit where they're both fucked and all you have to do is press R1 for those MASSIVE haymakers.

:( epic times indeed!

And the music changing! :(

Oh my :(

To be honest not a great deal of MGS3 is covered, if you have played 1 and 2 you have more than enough information about how the story will flow, just get this played its fantastic.

I played the first one to completion, but only got as far as defusing some bombs in the second, I think.

My major gripe with the game lies with the cut scenes though. Not because they are too long etc, but because they are so fucking good. It really feels like I wont ever see anything like it again for a long time, which is a real shame. Time to sell the consoles and all the games and get back to life then?

Yeah my thoughts too! It's kinda depressing. Been watching people play darksector,ninjagaiden2 and aloneinthedark in the office and it's like 'Oh, yeah that's what games are really like'. They just look like...a videogame. Even the game over screens pissed me off, not seen aloneinthedark one but for ninjagaiden2 and darksector it's just more or less a still screen with something like 'You are dead!' written in big bloody letters. Sooooo plain.

I think I need to play something like SuperMarioGalaxy again so I can't drive myself insane making snarky comparisons to MGS4

One other thing BTW, by pressing Square during the Briefing scenes you can take control of the Mark II & move around checking out the Nomad while the Cutscene is going on. It definitely makes it more interesting to have an interactive point of view on the cutscene & this is also how you can get some secret items. You can even do this (& get the items) by selecting the Briefings from the main menu & then you can save your goodies over your most recent save without losing your progress & allowing you to start using them in the game.

It took me until my third playthrough to find out about

changing the channel on the tv in the briefings, I only tried it during one of the briefings while getting a few extra face cammo's though. I'll have to see if different briefings offer different results :(

Also, can someone tell me in regards to Act III

if the resistance takes a different route dependant on the difficulty level? I spent a bit of time looking around everywhere and there's loads that I never saw and the guy never goes near.

Can't wait til tonight... I'm buying a PS3 at lunch. Just so I can play this bad boy again :(

If you arent one for reading manuals first then watch the Mission Briefing on the main menu before starting the game. Just be wary as its 20 mins long.

So, MGO: does anyone know how to quickly recover from being grounded in CQC? I've thrown people down only to have them get up near instantaneously, so is there a button you have to press or something?

X?

It also depends on your skill it seems. The higher you are the liklihood you will stun them.

Low power CQC merely chucks them to the ground for a second.

Just on MGO, I hated the beta and still think the ID stuff and now the MGO shop is horendous, but I'm really warming to the game itself. Needs a bit of work to it, but it plays much better than I thought it would.

I still haven't tried MGO yet. The only time i've gone to boot it up my entire playtime was taken up by downloading an update.

The main reason i'm hesitant is because of the mess the sign-up procedure was apparently in. Is that any better now?

Also, can someone tell me in regards to Act III

if the resistance takes a different route dependant on the difficulty level? I spent a bit of time looking around everywhere and there's loads that I never saw and the guy never goes near.

Yes, you get a much longer route on harder difficulties.

X?

It also depends on your skill it seems. The higher you are the liklihood you will stun them.

Low power CQC merely chucks them to the ground for a second.

When I say "near instantaneously" I mean as soon as their back touches the floor they're suddenly in a crouching position and running around the nearest corner. I can't seem to do this and neither can 95% of people I CQC, so I was wondering if there was some kind of recovery window or something when you're being thrown/pinned.

Speaking of tricks, if you're low on stamina then you can regain it by hiding in your box or reading a magazine. Haven't come across anything to return life, though.