rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Ste Pickford

Comics

Is there enough interest for a comics thread? Does anyone mess about making comics in their spare time, or fancy having a crack at it?

I know we already have a thread for the excellent AdLib comic, and Illustration Club regulars Couk and Ristar both do comic diaries, so maybe all the comics being made by forumites are covered, but I'm hoping that there are people out there who just draw the odd gag or page now and again, or maybe a few people might be encouraged to give it a go if there's a thread to post in.

I'm thinking something like the Illustration Club thread - so not a competition, just people posting their stuff for the amusement of everyone else and maybe a bit of feedback - but a thread where you don't need to be any good at drawing or painting to join in. Writers are welcome too! A stick man with a speech bubble can make just as good a comic as a page of beautifully painted art. It's all about the idea, and communicating that to the reader, with arguably fewer rules and less formal skill required than either pure illustration or pure writing. It's the medium for everyone!

Does anyone draw or write comics outside of myself and the three forumites mentioned above? Reply here if you're up for it, or just post your comics in this thread to get it started.

Good plan! I'm in. Having said that, I don't have any comics I've drawn to hand. But I wholeheartedly support the idea, especially the part about stick men and speech bubbles.

Imagine a thread where you could only post if you did it in the form of a comic strip. I assume it'd be beautiful.

What a fantastic response. Some great work posted already, and it's nice to see some of the non-artists having a crack. That's one of the things I love about comics, they're within reach of anyone.

This is something I originally did with a friend, oh, half a lifetime ago in 1989. It probably needs some explanation. It's from a nightclub-themed fanzine we used to publish in the late 80s. There was a documentary shown on TV around that time based around the 'Madchester' scene in Manchester (if anyone remembers that). Our fanzine was briefly mentioned in the show, but there was also an interview with this bloke who sold T-shirts in Affleck's Palace saying "On the 8th day God created Manchester". In this interview he seemed completely at a loss to explain what his T-shirts meant, and blurted out the brilliant line, "well, Jesus was the original raver, wasn't he?"

This tickled us no end, so my mate and I did this double page spread for the next issue, in the style of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. I don't think it will make any sense at all without this explanation (and probably not much with). In fact, I don't think it made much sense to any of our readers at the time either, but we had fun doing it.

I used the original drawing as an exercise a couple of years back to teach myself how to process comics in Photoshop - neatening up scanned artwork, splitting it into layers, colouring it in, adding computerised lettering etc. The original was black and white, all wonky, and full of spelling mistakes.

jesus_big.jpg

Brilliant.

Indeed. Seems a little inappropriate go gush about it, considering the subject matter, but brilliant integration of words and images adding an extra, easily understandable, layer of meaning which wouldn't be possible in any other medium.

Hideous quality, but there's not much I can do at this time of night, with this light...

IMG00021.jpg

Edit: I'm not sure it was worth attempting that. Can people read it? I can but then I know what it says anyway, so...

Edit: I'm not sure it was worth attempting that. Can people read it? I can but then I know what it says anyway, so...

Just LET IT GO. I dig the clearly Lynchian avatar transposition, though.

Foolish_Mortal: great - Ste already nailed why I liked it, so just... great.