IGNORED

Bruce Everiss Vs Stuart Campbell

Swainy

That paragraph is completely amazing. It's Professor Frinkesque in its predictive wrongness.

EDIT: And the link leads to a Metro cartoon that's actually funny! The world's gone mad.

I think you're getting carried away in the feeding frenzy. The OP (angel?) suggested the price rise tactic killed imagine. Bruce corrected that it wasn't used at imagine but at codemasters so in fact the tactic did not kill either softco and that indeed where the tactic had been used they were actually still trading even now . I don't think at any point that the further survival of codies was down to bruce was inferred at any point. But what do I know?

I forgot to mention.

In the week that the Imagine, Megagames, Piracy thread was happening the Very Reverend Bellend started zapping my private email address with his rant emails. I had to tell Outlook that he was spam. Which isn't far wrong.

And amongst those comments he boasted:

"you’re aware that I’ve been a professional videogames journalist for almost 20 years, and was also Development Manager at Sensible Software during their most successful period in the mid-90s, yes?"

and

"And yet I’ve already been Development Manager of a game developer better and more successful in its market than anyone you ever worked for. I was involved in the production of three games (writing most of one of them myself), and every one of them went to No.1 in the All Formats charts. That’s a 100% record of success by any measure, Bruce. If only you could say the same."

Now I know Jon Hare so I asked him if this was true. Obviously it wasn't. The Very Reverend Bellend lives in Walter Mitty land.

Email? I saw that he'd posted those exact same comments on your blog before you deleted them. I remember you deleting quite a lot of things that you disagreed with then.

Mind you Bruce. Keep it up. I haven't had this much fun reading forum posts in ages. You'll certainly be remembered for this one.

Who had the popcorn?

I think you're getting carried away in the feeding frenzy. The OP (angel?) suggested the price rise tactic killed imagine. Bruce corrected that it wasn't used at imagine but at codemasters so in fact the tactic did not kill either softco and that indeed where the tactic had been used they were actually still trading even now . I don't think at any point that the further survival of codies was down to bruce was inferred at any point. But what do I know?

I think you've quoted the wrong post. But yes, you appear to be right and I am wrong. Silly me.

Can I stress that Rock paper Shotgun is, indeed, my blog?

KG

Go on then...

I see GTA:IV is up on Usenet. Literally thousands of people are not downloading it as we speak, because it's a cultural event, and largely excempt from piracy.

Again, doesn't follow, can we not resort to glib one liners when they're are huge trench like flaws in the arguement?

I have GTA4 preordered. I'd STILL be downloading it now to play in advance. Equally if I didn't it's highly likely I'd download it to see if it's any good.

Bruce never said they were downloaded less, he said it would cost fewer sales because with the big stuff people like their gleaming real copies on the shelf. A debatable position certainly but not one you'll prove either way with download figures.

--

And yes, either Stu or Bruce batting each other about revisionist editing of their respective discussion media is insane because I've seen BOTH do so, although I can only vouch for the Rev doing it on a semi regular basis. Bruce does of course have the advantage he sees comments before they appear.

A game would sell precisely zero without some form of marketing.

No. It would sell zero without some form of advertising or sales effort. Formal marketing is not required.

Marketing identifies or quantifies existing 'markets'; potential groups of purchasers. Done well, it identifies new groups of people who would purchase your products but aren't aware of them - identifying a new market. Done brilliantly, it can create a whole new group of purchasers for you (although there, it would be the brilliance of the sales effort. And a decent product).

But its really used to guide your sales effort. It's the sales effort that's important, but a good marketing campaign can multiply its effect. I guess these days many people - including those who should know better - conflate the two (maybe because Sales & Marketing ended up with a dodgy acronym that no-one liked).

You might employ marketing techniques before you decide whether to develop a game, to see if there are enough potential purchasers; you might employ marketers if you're an established company to see if your sales efforts are being targetted correctly.

If you're really fuckwitted, you might allow marketers to veto creative design decisions in product development, as marketers tend not to be gamers, but that would never happen.

Email? I saw that he'd posted those exact same comments on your blog before you deleted them. I remember you deleting quite a lot of things that you disagreed with then.

Mind you Bruce. Keep it up. I haven't had this much fun reading forum posts in ages. You'll certainly be remembered for this one.

Who had the popcorn?

Why don't you check your facts before making accusations?

If you go to the original article you will find the Very Reverend Bellend's false boasts at comment#55 and comment #96 I have deleted very little.

As you can see the negative posts are still there.

Unlike a certain person notorious for deleting posts on his forum that are insufficiently sycophantic.

Unlike a certain person notorious for deleting posts on his forum that are insufficiently sycophantic.

that was you wasn't it? I remember a link in another thread on here earlier...

No wait, that was this thread, 10 pages (40ppp) ago.

My, doesn't time fly?

Yeah. We all know what the Rev is like. The really funny part is you've actually managed to come across much worse than he ever does. Trust me when I say that's quite an achievement since Stu has quite an entertaining net history :o

I'm thinking we need to organise some sort of awards show.

Bruceongames reply-ometer:

Why dont you [amusing nickname] check your facts!.

if you check this [extremely misjudged self-penned article] you will see you are stupid

if poster hasnt read my blog: I am not the one deleting posts

...................................else: dont draw attention to my factual prunings

[generate inflammatory absurd statement] + [mention number one hits] - [i'm actually currently unemployable/ed]

Jesus fucking Christ, this thread is a complete embarrassment, you should all be fucking ashamed.

Still, keep going, this is highly amusing.

I plan to chastise myself vigorously tonight when I get home. I don't think I've ever been this aroused.

Bruceongames reply-ometer:

Why dont you [amusing nickname] check your facts!.

if you check this [extremely misjudged self-penned article] you will see you are stupid

if poster hasnt read my blog: I am not the one deleting posts

...................................else: dont draw attention to my factual prunings

[generate inflammatory absurd statement] + [mention number one hits] - [i'm actually currently unemployable/ed]

Talk about taking all the mystique of of it. You mystique-sucker you!

The key bit there is limited diposable income.

If these kids stopped pirating they would not buy any more games than they do now because they still have the same amount of money.

When I was a kid I bought games and I pirated games. If there had been no pirated games about I would not have bought any more because I already spent all my money on games anyway...

I think the same thing holds true for most consumers. They have a set amount of money they are going to spend and anything they download is in addition to not instead of.

It's certainly true for me.

This tallies with my experience as well. But back then, it wasn't possible for literally hundreds of thousands of copies of a game to be distributed online before it had even come out in the shops. It's grown so huge, so quickly, that I think a lot of publishers are freaked out.

Of course it is. But that doesn't mean they got a clue about the game industry or what a good product is all about. They just know how to sell it.

Marketing people don't need to have an encyclopedic knowledge of games and their workings. But ones who don't grasp what gamers want and will spend money on tend to come unstuck quickly. A good case in point is that old story about the guy from the BBC who was indignant that Digitiser (or Edge? I forget) wouldn't review their Noddy game. Or the spectacularly poor judgment at Midway that has spawned 'Mortal Kombat vs. DC Comics'.

Actually, I have a really serious question for Bruce:

Bruce, was Bandersnatch actually released as Brataccas? There's a video of it

so you can see it in action. This is an honest question here: Did people at Imagine think it would be popular enough to make back the money Imagine pumped into its development and the company's general running costs? Just wondering really. I had a Spectrum and I'm trying to gauge how I would have reacted to that game at the time, baring my standards were far, far lower back then.

Oh, and at the budget price games were being sold at the time, how many copies would need to be pirated per week/month to cost as much as the 2 empty offices and other such expenses? Just trying to gauge the impact that these badly thought out costs had on Imagine.