IGNORED

Bruce Everiss Vs Stuart Campbell

Swainy

:):lol: :lol:

Sorry, Bruce, but that's the most ludicrous thing I've read in this entire argument. Which is saying something.

Yep. And that's not even the worst of it: they had never filed a VAT return. And yet Bruce 2008 claims they weren't that badly run. :lol: Sounds like a medium-sized company being run like the dodgier examples of one-man band outfits.

Surely it's a fallacy to say "I was there, therefore I know absolutely the causes of what killed my company", Bruce? In this case, you seem to be arguing that something you have no actual evidence or data for killed your company, so in a real sense you weren't actually there. Regardless, being in a position like that doesn't always mean you have the most objective evidence of what went wrong, or even the most evidence of what went wrong. You have a highly subjective memory of an event with a clear emotional impact that it just doesn't have on most people. Given all this, it is not valid to say "I was there, therefore I am right". This has a latin name, although I can't remember what it is.

EDIT: "I'm succesful, therefore I'm right" is also not really an argument, as it's perfectly possible for you to have been successful while being wrong in this particular case.

Surely it's a fallacy to say "I was there, therefore I know absolutely the causes of what killed my company", Bruce? In this case, you seem to be arguing that something you have no actual evidence or data for killed your company, so in a real sense you weren't actually there. Regardless, being in a position like that doesn't always mean you have the most objective evidence of what went wrong, or even the most evidence of what went wrong. You have a highly subjective memory of an event with a clear emotional impact that it just doesn't have on most people. Given all this, it is not valid to say "I was there, therefore I am right". This has a latin name, although I can't remember what it is.

EDIT: "I'm succesful, therefore I'm right" is also not really an argument, as it's perfectly possible for you to have been successful while being wrong in this particular case.

:lol: That's it, in a nutshell, really.

It should be noted that Bruce claimed the PSP could run pirated games by literally just putting an ISO on a memstick and required no modifying whatsoever and that this was why it's dead (from piracy) and the DS isn't (which ironically CAN be pirated that way).

Nothing to do with legions of shit PS2 ports rather than handheld games you understand.

To save Bruce the trouble he later changed this argument to the DS apparently having a different consumer base and that apparently the difficulty of pirating isn't important.

However I do feel that I know somewhat more about the game industry than he does. Or is ever likely too with his know it all attitude. Having marketed lots of games to number one on many formats and in many countries.

Isn't marketing considered to be part of the 'suits' that rather spend money on a brand or licence than on proper development and then release unfinished crap to meet quarter figures? Isn't that in fact part of the problem Imagine had, releasing hyped but substandard games and creating demand for overpriced products that didn't even exist yet? Weren't you in fact 'part of the problem' and now trying to clean your doorstep by putting the blame on a faceless conglomerate of evil called 'pirates'?

Seriously, I think our dear Reverend is one of the biggest misguided idiots on the internet, but he positively shines with knowledge and wisdom next to you. Your namecalling and ignoring of valid and serious posts in this thread doesn't do much to rectify that image.

bruce also boasts in one of his articles of a lovely trick he pulled when at imagine:

they raised tape prices to 2.99...tricked their retail partners into large bulk orders, forcing the games back into the charts, and then forced them to reorder stock at increased rates. literally biting the hand that fed them.

when pointing this out from his OWN ARTICLES, he deleted it and banned me. then later he called it "business".

he's a pure marketing con man

It should be noted that Bruce claimed the PSP could run pirated games by literally just putting an ISO on a memstick and required no modifying whatsoever and that this was why it's dead (from piracy) and the DS isn't (which ironically CAN be pirated that way).

He claimed no such thing!

He claimed that a PSP could run pirated games by literally just putting "a bit torrent" on a memstick.

Bruce doesn't like facts.

[edit: oops, too slow]

Also, I meant to say before.

He spent two weeks calling me names. None of the sycophants on his forum complained about that, did they?

This does often seem to go over the heads of people who can't engage in discussion, but there's an important difference between calling someone names, and identifying a character flaw in someone and naming it. So, I've called you a "liar" because you've lied. An example would be when you lied on your blog about why you were deleting people's comments. You're calling Stuart a "bellend". While it's likely that Stuart does possess such a body part, it's fairly evident that he's not a literal glans penis. For instance, the head of a penis wouldn't be able to breathe, as it has no respiratory system, and as such would die. So while you may want to metaphorically refer to Stuart as the tip of a phallus, you can't demonstrate this as a fact. It is, thus, calling someone a childish name. I don't believe Stuart has done this at any point. He has, however, identified when you've behaved as a coward, and how you do genuinely appear to be pathological in your lying.

Yours,

John W

Emoticon Theatre: Episode 1. A reading from Bruce on Games.

There is one thing that beats pirates on any platform.

:o

This is when a game is so big that it becomes a mass culture popular event.

:lol:

The current launch of GTA IV is a prime example.

:wub:

Then a far higher percentage of people just have to have the real thing.

A pirated copy just isn’t cool enough.

:)

And with these sorts of games there is a massive gift market.

All this explains how the rare, exceptional title can still sell well on a heavily pirated platform.

because GTAIV wont be copied by anyone, ever, being the highest profile game of probably the last 5 years.

mad as a mongoose

anyone old enough to remember regals rubbish "reg" campaign, "reg on tabs". i just think of this whenever i read bruce's vile missives.

I have learned one thing, at least: it is surprisingly easy to play copied DS games. I never knew. I thought it required all sorts of hacking and stuff, but you can apparently just buy a cart to dump ROMs on. As someone who actually went to the trouble and effort of hacking my PSP, I am most surprised by how out-of-the-loop I was on the DS hacking scene. Probably 'cos the games are so bloody good that I didn't care.

The .iso download figures from the P*rate Bay etc. should be enough to convince anyone* that illegal downloads MUST be harming sales figures for individual games.

*who hasn't got their completely stuck in the sand, natch

It is, thus, calling someone a childish name. I don't believe Stuart has done this at any point.

He's slung plenty of insults in the comment thread that sparked this off (and his salvo earlier in the thread). Maybe not "childish" insults, but still hardly fitting with the genteel image that he has cultivated so painstakingly. Erm, apparently.

I have learned one thing, at least: it is surprisingly easy to play copied DS games. I never knew. I thought it required all sorts of hacking and stuff, but you can apparently just buy a cart to dump ROMs on. As someone who actually went to the trouble and effort of hacking my PSP, I am most surprised by how out-of-the-loop I was on the DS hacking scene. Probably 'cos the games are so bloody good that I didn't care.

2249 easily available roms of mostly utter crap. I barely touch my DS anymore. I'd rather have a PSP with PS1 games on it.

He's slung plenty of insults in the comment thread that sparked this off (and his salvo earlier in the thread). Maybe not "childish" insults, but still hardly fitting with the genteel image that he has cultivated so painstakingly. Erm, apparently.

is that the genteel image of stitching up his former colleagues, slagging off game fans as fanboys, insulting everyone who disagrees with him, attacking people who try to explain technical errors in his statements...

why he's a lovely old man sucking on a werthers originals..not some old marketing buffoon clinging onto delusional dreams and arguing like a 10 year old all day long on his unemployable ass's laptop

downloads doesnt equal lost sales.

You cannot state this as fact. Nor I the opposite. But one hundred thousand downloads for PSP Dracula X Chronicles? A quarter of a million for R&C and MGS:PO? All of this JUST from tPB - can you seriously tell me that means zero lost sales?

Isn't marketing considered to be part of the 'suits' that rather spend money on a brand or licence than on proper development and then release unfinished crap to meet quarter figures? Isn't that in fact part of the problem Imagine had, releasing hyped but substandard games and creating demand for overpriced products that didn't even exist yet? Weren't you in fact 'part of the problem' and now trying to clean your doorstep by putting the blame on a faceless conglomerate of evil called 'pirates'?

Seriously, I think our dear Reverend is one of the biggest misguided idiots on the internet, but he positively shines with knowledge and wisdom next to you. Your namecalling and ignoring of valid and serious posts in this thread doesn't do much to rectify that image.

A game would sell precisely zero without some form of marketing.

So marketing is essential in the relationship between game development and the gamer.