Professor Puzzles

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

4 hours ago, Comrade said:

Saw it yesterday - I enjoyed it a lot. Felt like it hit the feel of GitS pretty well. Major's relationship with Batou has always been my favourite thing and I felt they replicated it well. Visually it was great, I really liked the 80s feel it gave the cyberpunk theme (like Batou's car). Plot-wise it's pretty different than the previous GitS stuff, but people getting precious about that are pretty stupid, GitS has been significantly different in every incarnation.

My biggest problem though was the script, which really was far too on-the-nose. There really isn't any room in there for nuance, characters pretty much just bluntly state the themes of the film and their plot exposition as if they were robots, which was maybe the point? Seems like a lame point if so.

Reveal hidden contents

For instance, in the scene where the Major meets the woman who turns out to be her mother, she's basically just vaguely wandering down a hallway when the woman beckons her, and then pretty much outright says "Come in, have some tea, my daughter is dead".

My other problem was with the very end of the film:

Reveal hidden contents

There's always been an undercurrent in the various versions of GitS that Section 9 is a pretty morally and legally murky outfit, as they seem to adhere to no real rules, but Aramaki just outright extra-judicially icing the captured and unarmed bad guy seemed a bit over the top.

That said, it was great to see Beat Takeshi kicking some arse.

Oh, and while Togusa's mullet might (just about) work in the animes, it does not work in live-action.

Re the on the nose dialogue:

Spoiler

That scene with the Mum was hysterical-

"Please come in for some tea because my daughter's dead, she looked nothing like you except your gaijin eyes which pierce my soul. Same time next week?"

In spite of the the scene is actually somewhat moving :) as the mum is a decent actress. Similarly the 'best' (most emotionally affecting) scene is in the bedroom with the pretend robo hooker - too bad there couldn't have been more quiet human moments without 200ft holo koi dicking about in your peripheral vision.

Anyway once I had adjusted to its portentous live action manga campiness I found it wonderfully entertaining, and it reminded me very of other enjoyable portentous cyber tosh such as Johnny Mnemonic, Freejacketc. Though Pantu's camera eyes may have made me more susceptible than usual..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Meh said:

There's zero boobies and almost zero blood. Even when people get shot.

There are "zero boobies" but at times I was second guessing if her entire body was CGI...cause wowza. Then again I just accept that Marvel's Chris, Chris and Chris put in blood sweat and tears for any given torso shot. I'm confused about who to be offended for, or who I'm offending.

• Upvote 1

Having been very optimistic about this over the last few months, I'm massively releived that this didn't turn out crap. In fact I thought it was very good. It's very much it's own thing and not just a shot by shot remake (thank God) yet still feels very gits.

• Upvote 1

Went to see this last night and just found it very meh. Wasn't really impressed at all. Shame.

I think if you're going to duplicate the iconic moments from an iconic film, don't change them so much. Either stick to the original source or dont use it.

Well, I thought it was aceness and so did the my 12 year old son and his mate. They'd not read the anime or seen any of the films which are all 15 anyway.So for them they had no baggage to carry around and pontificate about how the original is sssoooooooo much better in the original japanese  blah blah blah. 

intelligent sci /10

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I should have put in my post above that I've not seen the original either. Conversely, my partner loved the original and thought this was pretty good as well. 

But not everyone has seen the original... It was 30 years ago. What do you people find so difficult to understand about this?

It's not a continuation of the story, it's an attempt to bring the story to a new generation and with all the best will in the world that generation is not going to go and watch a ghost in the shell part 6 live action features dubbed from Japanese. 

This was always going to be an origins story and was always going to be done by Hollywood to their rules. Get off you high horses and just enjoy the bloody film.

Gees you lot are particularly grumpy these days. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

I know of the original but have never been much into Manga/Anime/whatever so haven't seen it and probably never will (unless I happen to spot it in the TV schedule or something). I watched the film because it's sci-fi with Scarlett Johansson in it, and thought it was pretty good!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

But not everyone has seen the original... It was 30 years ago. What do you people find so difficult to understand about this?

It's not a continuation of the story, it's an attempt to bring the story to a new generation and with all the best will in the world that generation is not going to go and watch a ghost in the shell part 6 live action features dubbed from Japanese. 

This was always going to be an origins story and was always going to be done by Hollywood to their rules. Get off you high horses and just enjoy the bloody film.

Get off our high horses? Grumpy? It just wasn't a very good film. I went with a group of folks. Only two of us had seen the original. Everyone thought it was naff. Sure, it was pretty and the soundtrack was alright. But over all as a movie, it was a stinker. 

Also, ScarJos swagger all the way through it bugged me.

• Downvote 1

On 3/31/2017 at 09:55, Comrade said:

My biggest problem though was the script, which really was far too on-the-nose.

Just back from this and feel precisely the same. 1st thirty seconds: "Hello I am doctor lady, you've had an accident and are robot woman now"; 2nd thirty seconds: "Hello I am transparently evil corporate asshat, robot woman is nothing more than a weapon to me and I literally say that". Very little is woven in preference to simply blurting it out, and in much the same vein plot points and action scenes that should have been arresting are regularly presented so as to render them totally weightless.

It's not that it doesn't have its moments (and Beat Takeshi's hair). It's nicely done, in many respects. Nicely done, though, for source material that deserves to be brilliantly done, kinda doesn't cut it. Maaan, I enjoyed it less than I thought.

Alright / 10

• Upvote 5

I wen't in expecting it to be pretty much a straight remake. I now get why it wasn't and really only had 5 or 6 scenes lifted from the first film including super typing fingers.

The Cityscapes were great but there wasn't really enough brain hacking or heavy weaponry though. It's clearly another of those films which wouldn't exist without Chinese financing, though so I assume we're not really the target market.

22 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

It's not an attempt to bring more people in, it's an attempt to trick fans of the original into seeing a generic action film which they would've avoided like the plague if it was called anything else because it looks so boring.

• Downvote 2

Of course it's an attempt to bring in new fans because the internet had told all the old fans how rubbish it was going to be before they'd even seen it. And yes its going to be boring for the old fans because they know the backstory. But my 12 year old son doesn't and that is who they want to attract and he loved it. Now he wants to see Akira and Metropolis, now he wants to see more interesting and thought provoking comics that aren't just impossibly large breasted american women in tight fitting suits hitting each other. 

2 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

And yes its going to be boring for the old fans because they know the backstory.

7 of us went to see it the other night. 5 hadn't seen any of the original stuff, didn't really knwo anything about this apart from the trailers and didn't have any expectations going in. Their thoughts on the movie go from boring to shite.

I'd say it was average at best. I wouldn't turn it off if it was on the telly in the evening, but I wouldn't stop gaming or make space to specifically sit down and watch it again.

1 hour ago, Sidewaysbob said:

but its a 15 ..... and he's 12 ........

What? Watch the movie and decide for yourself what's appropriate for him. Those numbers are guidelines, they're only hard and fast rules when a kid is trying to see something without their parents permission. 

I'm not going to go into it fully, but most movies that are in the 12a bracket are exactly as violent as 15 movies, but with blood removed. Similarly, the idea that sex exists is an adult concept to the people rating movies, but murder is perfectly child appropriate. The rating are utterly insane and are created by a tiny group of people with a weird set of biases. After that, those rules are brutally exploited by studios to make as much money as they can without ever taking a second to consider the safety and happiness of the young people that ratings are supposed to protect.

I would bet hundreds of pounds that there's nothing too "adult" in GiTS if you've seen the live action version. You may have to admit to your kid that nipples exist and people are horribly injured by gunshot wounds.

• Upvote 2

I suspect that this film would have reviewed better had it not been a Ghost In The Shell movie. I really enjoyed it but what few reservations I had stemmed from my mind comparing it to a stone cold classic. I keep hearing about this having a low rotten tomatoes rating, but all the usual sites I go to for film opinions have been mainly positive. 

Of course the film is not perfect, but I feel it gets a lot of stuff very right and I'd love to see them get a sequel to expand on things. Would really like to see section 9 more involved as for what little of them we saw I felt they got them spot on.

The pace of the story has been changed, but it's far from just a generic Hollywood action flick as some are claiming. 

On 4/4/2017 at 05:31, Sidewaysbob said:

It's not a continuation of the story, it's an attempt to bring the story to a new generation

Just in time for the new anime series Production IG just announced. 

I think I'll have to wait for the blu ray or HBO for this, I don't get out much :( 

New anime is great news. Hopefully it gets back to being like stand alone complex as I really couldn't get along with Arise and the subsequent film. Just couldn't get past major looking about 12 years old. 

• Upvote 1

I thought this was very average and for some reason it made me very sleepy while I was watching it. The  city looked very off and very fake and it made me realise just how good a job they did with Blade Runner. 

Tbh I preferred Lucy which I watched a few weeks back. 

With this I didn't feel connected to the characters at all. Not a patch on the original 

That sums up my thoughts on this one too.

I've never seen the original, but found myself feeling falling asleep during this. It's biggest flaw for me was that I didn't feel any real connection to anyone in the film. 

I wouldn't call it a bad movie, but I certainly couldn't recommend it to anyone.