IGNORED

The Crow

oli

I absolutely loved this film when I was younger, probably 16/17 something like that, I thought it was the height of cool. I bought it on DVD quite a while ago now and have only just got round to a viewing. It must be at least 8 or 9 years since I last saw it so obviously I was fearing the worst. Things I thought were classics when I was younger never seem to stand the test of time too well.

It is still as wafer thin plot wise as it always was, very simple story, characters quite two dimensional but it is still as enjoyable as it ever was. In fact on this viewing I have noticed things I didn't first time round. I think it was hyped up in the whole Brandons Lees last film drama, but its much more than that, a straight forward revenge classic, and despite the 2D characters they're watchable and entertaining. I might goth up and paint my face to celebrate.

I have avoided the dreadful sequels but was intrigued to see a TV series was made - did anyone ever catch it and was it any good? I am guessing not

One thing that has struck me about watching this again is how similar Brandon Lees performance is to what I anticipate Heath Ledger to be like in the new Batman, and not simply because of the last film connection. The way hes played as a psychotic manic depressive, makes me think of how the Joker should and will be played.

Anyway share the love for the Crow Please

Like you, I thought it was the coolest thing ever when I was a teenager. Not 17, though! Maybe 14. I caught it a few years ago and he quotes Edgar Allen Poe (not even the right bird) and plays moody guitar on a roof. It's SO bad, oli.

;)

It's no so bad ;)

It's incredible it really has struck me how much he plays it like the Joker I always imagined in the decent Batman comics

I remember coming out of the cinema in Leicester Square and spotting a mate of mine who was a massive goth and he was sitting on the curb and crying. I walked over and he looked at me with his eyeliner-smudged eyes and he said 'they did it, they didn't mess it up, I'm so happy'

Fuckin' goths...

I like it though, prefer the comic but I think it stands up quite well

the 2nd film was ok in a kitsch kinda way, the 3rd absolutely terrible and the 4th? i refuse to watch it.

They got a 4th out??

I loved the original, again like most people when I was in my teens, there aren't enough dark moody films that I love but this one is top of the pops. The soundtrack was bangning, stone temple pilots, the cure, NIN, pantera - aces :angry:

I gave the second film a try but thought it was balls, big hairy ones.

There's a lot that's good about The Crow, Brandon Lee in particular. But I always felt as though their rape/murder and hence your empathy for his revenge was a tad forced down your throat. Hey its a comic book, so I can't knock that aspect too much. Besides that though the girl irritated the crap outta me as did the copper. Best scene iirc was when he took out all the mob bosses, that was pretty class.

I watched this recently and I was a huge fan as a young lad. I remember thinking the action sequences at the time were cool and the characters were the baddest dudes on the planet.

10 or so years later, it's a load of shit.

I watched this recently and I was a huge fan as a young lad. I remember thinking the action sequences at the time were cool and the characters were the baddest dudes on the planet.

10 or so years later, it's a load of shit.

You're joking? I did cringe at some bits I thought were awesome previously but at the same time Brandon Lee still makes it awesomesz

Even as a kid I never understood the appeal and if Brandon hadn't died whilst making it I doubt anybody would still be talking about it today.

Yeah thats crap, his performance is what makes it, not his death

Yeah thats crap, his performance is what makes it, not his death

But what was the reason for you first watching it? None of my friends had even heard of the comic book before Brandon's death yet as soon as he died everyone wanted to see the film. If he hadn't died the film would probably have had a very tiny following and then dropped into obscurity.

But what was the reason for you first watching it? None of my friends had even heard of the comic book before Brandon's death yet as soon as he died everyone wanted to see the film. If he hadn't died the film would probably have had a very tiny following and then dropped into obscurity.

All of which might well be true. But it doesn't explain why I was then able to watch it with holly 15 years after I first saw it and for it to stand up remarkably well in its own right as an entertaining comic book adaptation, nothing more but you can say the same for Batman or Spider Man or whatever.

Wasn't Iggy Pop in one of the sequels as well? I don't remember anything else about them, even though I'm sure I've seen 2 and 3. I didn't know there was a 4th, though.

The soundtrack to the original got me into a couple of bands I'd never previously heard of, which is something I've always loved about film soundtracks.

There ain't no coming back! There ain't no coming back!

Great film. Loved it back then, love it now. People coming into an appreciation thread to say it's shit are just trolling.

To be fair I was switched onto this because of the awesome soundtrack, my brother and his metal-head mates used to rinse it in their cars when we would cruise (sad) around our home town.

Had no idea that it was a comic book adaptation or that the lead actor had died during the making - I'm not sure that if I had known beforehand, or that it was Bruce Lee's son that I would have had more of an interest in it but then again it is easy to say that in hindsight right? :lol:

It said on the front of the video it was better than Batman so I was sold

I didn't think the series (Stairway To Heaven) was that bad actually...

Mark Dacascos was a decent enough replacement (and as a proper martial artist meant some of the fight scenes were pretty good). Both the ratings and critical reception for the first series should have been more than enough to have it return - It was mainly due to internal studio politics (one being bought out by another and cutting way back on what they produced that year) that led to it not being picked up for a second season.

Wasn't Iggy Pop in one of the sequels as well?

he played 'curve' in the 2nd one... boss of a bunch of other idiot underlings. played the character really well i thought, the scene in the tattoo parlour was just fantastic.

in facttttttttttttt i may just go watch 2 now.