Goose

Pixar Announce Future Slate

Can we have some more Monsters Inc please?

Monsters Inc. is my favourite, but I really really hope they don't make a sequel. Of all the Pixar films, it is probably the least suited to a sequel, it was a perfectly imagined and contained story, nothing more needs to be added. A sequel would just be contrived and unnecessary.

The Incredibles would seem the most suited to a sequel, so I'm surprised one isn't lined up yet. In fact, The Incredibles would be a perfect opportunity for Pixar to first dip their toes into a TV series.

As for Cars 2 - please no!!! Easily Pixar's worst film, the whole concept is so flawed, I enjoyed it more than I expected to (it was the only Pixar film I wasn't looking forward to), as it just about managed to pull a completely flawed concept together into a watchable film, but why why why make another? (merchandising, and other money grabbing reasons, I assume).

I'm not sure why, but suspending your disbelief to believe that toys come to life when nobody's around, is much easier to do than suspending your disbelief to believe that a whole planet inhabited by driver-less cars could exist - I mean, how did they evolve? who builds their houses? How does a car put a wheel clamp on another car? Where do baby cars come from? It's also easier to suspend your disbelief another for something like Thomas The Tank Engine, where trains have faces, communicate, and think for themselves, yet there are still people around to explain away all the issues that Cars has.

As for Cars 2 - please no!!! Easily Pixar's worst film, the whole concept is so flawed, I enjoyed it more than I expected to (it was the only Pixar film I wasn't looking forward to), as it just about managed to pull a completely flawed concept together into a watchable film, but why why why make another? (merchandising, and other money grabbing reasons, I assume).

This is what really annoys me. They could make any old crappy movie and make a shedload in merchandising. So quite why they are bothering returning to such a flawed film is beyond me.

It is all about the money. Only the Toy Story films come close to how much money Pixar and Disney made on merchandising for Cars. Monster Inc, Finding Nemo, A Bug's Life, Ratatouille all flopped as merchandising opportunities and The Incredibles really didn't do as well as it perhaps should have done. It really is no surprise to see a sequel.

Monsters Inc. is my favourite, but I really really hope they don't make a sequel. Of all the Pixar films, it is probably the least suited to a sequel, it was a perfectly imagined and contained story, nothing more needs to be added. A sequel would just be contrived and unnecessary.

The Incredibles would seem the most suited to a sequel, so I'm surprised one isn't lined up yet. In fact, The Incredibles would be a perfect opportunity for Pixar to first dip their toes into a TV series.

I'm not sure why, but suspending your disbelief to believe that toys come to life when nobody's around, is much easier to do than suspending your disbelief to believe that a whole planet inhabited by driver-less cars could exist - I mean, how did they evolve? who build's their houses? How does a car put a wheel clamp on another car? Where do baby cars come from? It's also easier to suspend your disbelief another for something like Thomas The Tank Engine, where trains have faces, communicate, and think for themselves, yet there are still people around to explain away all the issues that Cars has.

Wow. That's some serious rationalisation of why this fantasy film doesn't work for you. Personally I really liked it. It was a sweet story, well told and technically very impressive.

It's certainly far from their best work, but it worked for me. Well, apart from a really odd continuity error on McQueen's changing paint job.

Cars was appaulling. I assumed that I was being hard on it initially, but when I saw it, I was bored stiff. A film about cars which drive and then nothing happens for approximately three quarters of the film (as much as I could be bothered watching, anyway). My young cousin, who adores Pixar films AND toy cars (not the variety of this film), fell asleep during the film, and he's normally super hyperactive during everything. That's how nothing it is.

Cars was appaulling. I assumed that I was being hard on it initially, but when I saw it, I was bored stiff. A film about cars which drive and then nothing happens for approximately three quarters of the film (as much as I could be bothered watching, anyway). My young cousin, who adores Pixar films AND toy cars (not the variety of this film), fell asleep during the film, and he's normally super hyperactive during everything. That's how nothing it is.

Come on, that porsche is cute.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hilll/ar...ng-up-soon.aspx

An article on the current status of Brad Bird's live-action 1906. He's currently tring to rework the screenplay to reduce production costs.

Looks like an Incredibles sequel is still a possibility, but given the massive scale of 1906 (they're comparing it to Titanic in many ways - not least the studios' box-office hopes), it won't be for a long time...

The Brad Bird article is interesting, and sad too if such a powerful career in animation is derailed for the length of time that Camerons has been pre and post Titanic. To see such a creatively inventive guy presumably spending most of his energies trying to get the nuts and bolts of a project sorted seems a total shame.

That said I'd have preferred him to stick with animation and ideally start with Incredibles 2 but hey.

What I don't get, totally, is the lack of Cars love in the thread. I can understand that everyone has their favourite, but with the excepion of Bugs Life they're not made a bad movie and Bugs wasn't bad, just unfocused and messy with too many principle characters. Cars is a lovely film... I avoided it at the cinema assuming that it was just a poor remake of Doc Hollywood and kicked myself when I picked it up on DVD for missing one of their best. How anyone could turn it off three quarters way through baffles me. Yes I suppose it was a personal project from Lasseter but if anyone's deserved that he has. Still a corker though. (my list would probably be Wall.E, Rat - although the middle third drags -, Cars, Monsters Inc, Incredibles, Toy Story 2, Nemo, Toy Story, Bugs in order I would guess...)

What I would like to see though, and I feel that Brad Bird was a step towards this, would be them picking up talented writers to expand what they do not just visually but creatively. Not that I think Pixar have done anything wrong so far per se, but would be nice to see them create the epic movie that you feel would be their logical next step.

That said John Carter of Mars is an interesting move to counter the slight cautiousness that the initial list inspires. Sigh... The day that Pixar fail to deliver... It'll come one day I know, wonder who the director will be with that poisened chalice. Logically it'll be Lasseter himself driving another personal project without the time to make it work, but honestly Cars wasn't that moment...

I'm going to stick the Rapunzel stuff in here again as we still haven't got an official thread yet (and I can't be bothered to make one right now).

rapunzel1.jpg

/Film are saying this is the first genuine (i.e. non-concept art) picture for the film. If so it looks quite different from the test footage that has been circulating around the net for the past 3 years.

I'm excited by all of them with the exception of cars. Cars was definitely a very successful film, though, so that was a bit inevitable. I'm not sure I'd want to see an Incredibles sequel, there would have to be a really good idea first and not just "let's do one".

I'm looking forward to Cars 2, my little boy adores it. It makes sense for Pixar to make it, as they will just sell more and more diecasts, which I and loads of other parents will pick up for the kids. Plus collectors have gone mad for them too. It wasn't that bad a story in my opinion, not a masterpiece, but not rubbish.

I thought I had already created a dedicated Rapunzel thread but obviously not.

zz17545e3c.jpg

That's a bit disappointing. I thought they were using some crazy rendering technique to make it look like the characters were oil paintings come alive or something. That just looks like normal 3D animation.

It still looks nice, but pretty mundane.

Hate to say it, but in that shot both characters are showing signs of that Dreamworks smugness... Come on Disney, don't go down that road.

Not sure if this video was ever posted on here

Rapunzel is no more. Now it called Tangled which seems a pretty bizarre move.

“Hey everyone, I’m Roy Conli, producer of Disney’s next animated film. I have some exciting news to share, and it was important to me that YOU guys – the Disney fans – hear it first. I want to tell you about Walt Disney Animation Studio’s 2010 release, Tangled. It’s a really fresh, smart take on the Rapunzel story. In our film, the infamous bandit Flynn Rider meets his match in the girl with the 70 feet of magical golden hair. We’re having a lot of fun pairing Flynn, who’s seen it all, with Rapunzel, who’s been locked away in a tower for 18 years. I’m so proud of the crew working on this film – they’re doing a fantastic job creating an awesome story with great characters and a stunning world – and it’s all going to look amazing in 3D. All of us here at the studio are incredibly excited for you to see Tangled when it comes out in theaters this November.”

Goose - could you perhaps take all the Rapunzel Tangled posts out of this thread and make a new dedicated topic?