IGNORED

Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

Cecil Kay

I've had an awful few weeks for retro, my TV didn't want to work at all with a PC Engine, I managed to buy a broke Mega CD from ebay (see thread below if you can help fix it), so I set off this morning to a local boot fair - I haven't been in a few years, but I just wanted to find something I could get that worked and would cheer me up a bit.

It was all quite dismal, a selection of ps2 and xbox games sitting around on tables, until I spotted a tatty box hidden underneath one of the stands.

post-253-1252273531_thumb.jpg

It didn't look like a 3DO from the outside, but having a look inside, there seemed to be a very neglected 3DO and loads of wires stuffed into this box with a few CD's scattered about. On enquiring if it worked, I was told "don't know, it's been in the loft for ages, I think it was ok last time I played it". He wanted £10 for it, so I felt it was worth a punt, plugged it in at home and it only goes and works

post-253-1252273544_thumb.jpg

Seen here playing the intro to "Megarace", the games with it are Megarace, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Samurai Showdown, The Need for Speed, PGA Tour 96, Slam Jam 95 and Corpse Killer. There's also a few 3DO magazine disks with demos on them. I have to say these CD's are some of the worst I've ever seen, scratches, cracks and crap all over them. Only one of the games and the demo CD boots... and I'm not 100% convinced the CD drive is totally ok, as it's managed to get stuck on a CD audio track a few times, but hey - the price was right :-)

Just replying from my own post from 2 years ago. As shortly after getting a game to fire up, it died and didn't want to read any more disks. I was just it was the laser focus all this time, so I had another go (this is maybe go number 10) of fixing it today.

What I did find is that the little laser assembly wasn't moving back and forth on it's tracks - it's like the motor to do this wasn't working. After several hours of taking it apart, testing the motor with the aid of a 9v battery, and then putting it all back together it all whirred into life. Maybe a connection had just come loose in all it's travelling around. Now reads some of the disks it never read the first time (some of them are horrendously scratched, so wasn't expecting this) CD-R's are fine... although only 1 brand, and music CD's are happy.

Sadly the game I got with it that I really wanted to play - Need for Speed - is dead. But I am super happy with my fix. Next up - attempt 15 of getting that bloody Mega-CD working.

Went to a pretty big boot on Sunday, got few games i was specifically looking for which makes a change to whatever you happen to find.

boot0811.jpg

Capcom classics - £1.00 - been after that for a while.

Robin Hood- Defender of the Crown £2.00 - I only found out that a defender of the crown game was released for the Ps2 last week, so that was good timing.

Ecco the Dolphin PS2 - 50p

GTA 2- ps1 -50p

Xwing vs Tiefighter (with balance of power disc) - 50 p

Rainbow 6 Covr ops Still sealed ! -50P

Force Unleashed tin, with a bunch of pocket model cards £2.00

kessan 2 and Tekken tag I got from Game in 98p and buy one get one free

I thought I would post up a recent collection I made. Basically a friend of mine was having a huge clear out of his old retro stuff in the attic. He was into retro at one point but now is solely focussed on the current gen and had to clear the space.

I got this lot plus more for a small payment plus I am helping him out with some stuff.

A few pics of the key bits. Not everything is here and there were a lot of odds and sods including 2 extra Saturn's. Could have had an ST a C64 another spare 3DO, MD or MCD as well but I simply had no room either in the boot of the house at my end!

IMG_0456.jpg

There are also 2 pads not shown here. Not sure on some of these games but I think there are a few key ones there.

IMG_0459.jpg

The woody needs a bit more cleaning but its in OK condition. There are 3 sets of paddle pads, 2 number pads and 2 sticks for the 2600 not shown.

IMG_0458.jpg

Atari Games. A pretty decent selection by the looks of it.

IMG_0457.jpg

Colecovision Games. Not so many of these but a couple of boxed ones. Need another controller really.

IMG_0460.jpg

A couple of classics in there. A pad too and a couple of memory carts not shown.

IMG_0462.jpg

There were loads more MD games that I didn't take including all the Phantasy Stars and Shining Force games as I already had them.

IMG_0463.jpg

The fishing rods are great. I had one before but didn't have the US sequel to Sega Bass Fishing. Gun too to go with my other gun and HOTD that I already had.

So pleased with all that. Not even set up the Colecovision, Jag or 2600 yet as its just been too busy. And I've been fishing with the boy!

What is he doing with the rest of the md stuff as i'd be interested in the phantasy star and shining force games?

I will find out.

We chucked loads of sports games in the bin and he gave some 2 player games to somebody else but there were definiatly some quality games left that were destined for eBay.

Basically a friend of mine was having a huge clear out of his old retro stuff in the attic.

I yearn for a friend like that!

Closest Ive got is a mate with a fantastic US SNES collection, every big RPG release you care to mention (Earthbound, FF's, Chrono Trigger etc) all in immaculate condition. Unfortunately he knows "exactly" how much they are worth :P

I thought I would post up a recent collection I made. Basically a friend of mine was having a huge clear out of his old retro stuff in the attic. He was into retro at one point but now is solely focussed on the current gen and had to clear the space.

I got this lot plus more for a small payment plus I am helping him out with some stuff.

So pleased with all that. Not even set up the Colecovision, Jag or 2600 yet as its just been too busy. And I've been fishing with the boy!

Any chance he still has the C64 stuff?

Cheers...

You want the C64 if he has it? It was a later (non bread bin) model in reasonably good condition. Not sure if it came with anything though.

I might do Yiggy especially if it has a box and is reasonably priced (really wanted a breadbin one though).

Could you ask and let me know?

Cheers...

Wow, I miss the car boot scene. Some great stuff in this thread. Great to see people are still out there finding stuff. I'm married with a toddler now so my regular car boot trips are well and truly over.

Still have good memories of comparing notes with you guys on a Sunday afternoon / evening :D

Rich

Wow, I miss the car boot scene. Some great stuff in this thread. Great to see people are still out there finding stuff. I'm married with a toddler now so my regular car boot trips are well and truly over.

Still have good memories of comparing notes with you guys on a Sunday afternoon / evening :D

Rich

There's a blast from the past!

Ah good to hear from you Rich! :)

Thanks mate, it's good to still see some familiar names are still here :). I drove past the signs for my old regular boot today, very temped to get up and go tomorrow. My daughter will be up around 6 so might bundle her in to the car :)

Thanks mate, it's good to still see some familiar names are still here :). I drove past the signs for my old regular boot today, very temped to get up and go tomorrow. My daughter will be up around 6 so might bundle her in to the car :)

This is what I started doing as soon as my daughter was old enough. Gives the wife a break too.

Had a late start this morning, my wife wanted a lie in. So I went just to one car boot on my own today.

On the first row I saw a 50th anniversary edition of Edge in a pile of books and magazines, I rooted through a bit more and found more Edges.

"how much for the magazines?"

"take them, as many as you like, I'll even give you a carrier bag"

post-234-002247900 1313917278_thumb.jpg

FF8 guide was free too :D

Also found a pile of 40k marines for £2 ( i've not sorted through them yet.

Then on the last row I found this little lot for £15

post-234-093689700 1313917381_thumb.jpg

I don't think Rob's complete but a nice selection of NES games inc Kid Icarus!!

Awesome nes collection

I didnt come away with anything worth posting today.

however one lady had 2 ps1's and a about 20 games some originals and a couple of pirates and demos but i pulled out 5 games that stood out. hoping i'd be able to give her at least 50p for each game she said "im not seperating from the console"

i said i would give her a pound for each game and she said "i want 50 quid for the lot". fucking ridiculous.

Another still had 4 loose snes games i asked how much to the reply "5 pounds each i can get 20 quid for each one on ebay"

loose carts!! some people

Another still had 4 loose snes games i asked how much to the reply "5 pounds each i can get 20 quid for each one on ebay"

loose carts!! some people

heh, I saw that guy too :)

amazing nes haul too super_quincy! still after a copy of Kid icarus...

I got quite an amazing game boy haul today, all from the same seller...

dscf1081p.jpg

the good stuff

dscf1082.jpg

the average/not so good stuff

the price? £8 the lot!

also got these:

dscf1083o.jpg

20p each

dscf1084x.jpg

ESWAT: £1

arcanum: 50p

demolition man: 20p

and for a laugh...an old sonic badge for 10p

dscf1086i.jpg

with er...questionable composition!

last week I also got a boxed Snes with desert strike for a tenner :)

Had a late start this morning, my wife wanted a lie in. So I went just to one car boot on my own today.

On the first row I saw a 50th anniversary edition of Edge in a pile of books and magazines, I rooted through a bit more and found more Edges.

"how much for the magazines?"

"take them, as many as you like, I'll even give you a carrier bag"

post-234-002247900 1313917278_thumb.jpg

FF8 guide was free too :D

Also found a pile of 40k marines for £2 ( i've not sorted through them yet.

Then on the last row I found this little lot for £15

post-234-093689700 1313917381_thumb.jpg

I don't think Rob's complete but a nice selection of NES games inc Kid Icarus!!

Looks like it was well worth the trip ! I didnt bother going out this morning, but i wish i had now.

Any of those space marines got jump packs ?

Also how about a video of ROB knocking some stuff over or something.?

Edited by X_2_0