IGNORED

Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

Cecil Kay

It is raining / drizzling at the moment - but I'm hoping it doesn't get too much heavier over night = Its like the night before xmas - I can't wait to get out there tomorrow morning.

Not all retro but last weekend I had another great haul (mostly Star Wars stuff) and can't wait to see what santa booting will bring me tomorrow.

Thats a bargain. Some people really need to start checking the likes of ebay before selling stuff like that.

Sadly I think most people do these days - and have done for a few seasons I think.

3 to 5 years ago I would return every Sunday with my own car boot stuffed full of retro goodies but in the last couple of years the pickings have been incredibly slim. Collectors really only have ebay as an option now, the opportunity of finding stuff in the wild has become very limited.

Well done to those keeping the faith, I hope you turn up a Vectrex or some boxed Game and Watches as a reward. B)

3 to 5 years ago I would return every Sunday with my own car boot stuffed full of retro goodies but in the last couple of years the pickings have been incredibly slim. Collectors really only have ebay as an option now, the opportunity of finding stuff in the wild has become very limited.

indeed, the last big car boot i went to a woman wanted £45 for a battered old SNES with 2 games ;)

MY GOD!!!!!

I had the 'ebay' thing today. Vectrex with 9 games all boxed, complete. Sign on the front of th box: £60 no offers.

I had a chat and the first thing the woman comes out with is:

"they're £80 on ebay."

Me: "with respect, this isn't ebay, it's a car boot sale."

Her: "Yep, that's why we are asking £60"

I'll see if it's gone next week. I've taken their phone number and written the games down incase there are any rarities in there.

games were:

armour:attack

scramble

starship

starhawk

blitz

soccer football

cosmic chasm

berzerk

clean sweep.

MY GOD!!!!!

I had the 'ebay' thing today. Vectrex with 9 games all boxed, complete. Sign on the front of th box: £60 no offers.

"they're £80 on ebay."

I'll see if it's gone next week. I've taken their phone number and written the games down incase there are any rarities in there.

games were:

scramble

starship

starhawk

blitz

soccer football

cosmic chasm

berzerk

clean sweep.

I would have bought that without blinking.

MY GOD!!!!!

"they're £80 on ebay."

games were:

scramble

starship

starhawk

blitz

soccer football

cosmic chasm

berzerk

clean sweep.

Bargin, especially with boxed games. Actually I think there are a lot of buyers that have a problem with anything that not priced at under 10 quid. If you get to a boot late and see an overpriced console it's becuase everyone else passed on it. All the cheap stuff was gone as soon as it was unpacked.

I've seen one for £15 before so relatively it doesn't feel like a good deal and I don't have the space for it.

That's an absolute bargain price and I doubt very much you will be seeing them at that price on a regular basis. They are always expensive.

so does that mean it wold have been straight back home and on eBay?

i wouldnt have bought it, trying to keep to this side of teh Snes with my games

No, I turned that one down and this one. I don't have the space and as we all know selling on ebay takes time which I don't have. I'm not annoyed because I didn't get a bargain but more because those people are pretty likely to take that great piece of gaming history home with them. I'm also annoyed that I don't have the space to bring it home.

Personally I think if they want £60 for something they are in the wrong place. A boot sale should be about low cost prices, as you are buying from a complete stranger, in the open (no matter what the weather) with absolutely no idea if something is going to work.

If people want 'good' money for something then the boot sale is really the wrong place for them.

Personally I think if they want £60 for something they are in the wrong place. A boot sale should be about low cost prices, as you are buying from a complete stranger, in the open (no matter what the weather) with absolutely no idea if something is going to work.

If people want 'good' money for something then the boot sale is really the wrong place for them.

that doesn't make sense to me

if somebody knows the value for something, why sell it less at a boot sale

this is just catching up now where people have manage to blag items cheaply because the owner didn't know its true value

personally i stay away from boot sales as its generally old tat and take all these vectrex for £1 stories with a pinch of salt

i stay away from boot sales as its generally old tat and take all these vectrex for £1 stories with a pinch of salt

No, it has been true. I've done that a long time ago. Maybe not so much now. 213 got a Vectrex with light pen, official carry case and lot's of games for 8 quid. I've had the huge box of Snes games all boxed including RPGs for 20. It's just that now most of the stuff has been cleared out and the only things that are not snapped up by the earliest buyers are the overpriced items.

that doesn't make sense to me

if somebody knows the value for something, why sell it less at a boot sale

this is just catching up now where people have manage to blag items cheaply because the owner didn't know its true value

personally i stay away from boot sales as its generally old tat and take all these vectrex for £1 stories with a pinch of salt

Boot sales by their nature are just a step up from a jumble sale. On ebay you have protection if the shit hits the fan. If you buy something from a boot sale you expect it to be cheap as you have nothing to fall back on if it's a faulty item. If you want to sell an item for it's "true" value sell it on ebay, or through the paper. I certainly would NEVER consider selling a Neo Geo, for instance, at a car boot sale and demand the "Going Rate" for it (as I have witnessed a couple of years ago).