Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

Cecil Kay

I did a couple of local boots last weekend in Preston. Arrived about 7 to 7.30 both mornings.

I've not been to one since 2019 so the difference was noticeable. 20% wearing masks but generally everyone giving each other room. A lot more traders these days. I just skip them and keep walking although there was one with a lot of PS1 games. All nicely sun bleached which told me how long he's had them.

Not much retro, a battered MD and a couple of Playstations - a 1 and 2 in a box but no controllers or cables. The usual smattering of crappy sport games on various formats

I've resigned myself to finding very few cherries in the car boot pie nowadays. I occasionally get lucky and find something the hoovers have missed - got a complete copy of the GBA game Lady Sia from an odds and ends box for just a few quid - but generally I just buy valueless stuff that I might like to play on a whim. Mainly PS2 stuff. I picked up a couple of racing games and a James Bond game recently - all pretty fun stuff.

I actually get more pleasure hunting for old books now. I like reading old Star Trek novels which can be had for 50p or less - and if I'm really lucky I'll get a Fighting Fantasy. I got the leather bound Complete Chronicles of Conan for 2 quid a couple of years ago. 

For real gaming gems I sell stuff at car boots and ebay (just stuff like old phones, comics and unwanted Xmas pressies) to raise funds, then I buy something really nice from a shop, ebay or a Facebook group. I find it a lot more productive using car boots that way round!

I've all but given up on car boots up here.  I think the smaller population doesn't help, I remember visiting my girlfriends mum in London 20 or so years ago, and the games stuff I could have bought for virtually nothing was amazing, had it not been for them all telling me the space was an issue, and then having to get it on the mega bus :lol:

When her family moved up to Dundee, we did a bootsale to sell off some crap that wasn't coming with us (circa 2003 or 4 I think).  I remember helping them set up then heading off for a walk, seeing mint looking boxed SNES Starwing pack and International Cricket pack on 1 stall for a tenner each - family told me we were there to get rid of stuff though (despite the van having plenty of space...)  They did let me buy a mint boxed NES with equally shiny Zapper and a few boxed games including Mario Bros 2, 3 and some others for a tenner though, the seller told me I just missed out on some other boxed games including "the gold one" that they let go for 50p each.  

Back up here in Dundee, I've had nothing that interesting games wise since 2018, though I can't be bothered getting there first thing (well, can't be bothered trying to get the wife to get up and out early!) and don't like badgering the sellers.  There are some local traders I recognise (that sell at the bootsale and that eBay) who are there every week and basically hoover everything up too.

I sold at a local car boot at the weekend. It’s certainly interesting what will sell and what won’t. Nobody wants blu rays and I came home with a Lynx 2 that I couldn’t get £35 for. But loose dc comics from the New 52 went by the bag load (and I haven’t looked after them at all) as did teddy bears and used ted baker purses. 

Social distancing was non existent and people just picked stuff up despite us putting up signs telling people not to do this. Nobody swarmed round the car as we parked up which was a change. The usual mixture of nice families and total idiots. 

So a trip into my parents loft and I found this, my brothers n64. He doesn’t want it. Result! I sold my absolutely mint boxed console a few years back with all the games you’d want all boxed and mint so this is a bit of a downgrade but still. A few questionable games so I need to source wave race, pilot wings and 1080 but heh it’s still a great find. He has some nasty third party ram expansion but luckily still had the old jumper and cover so it’s back to usual. 

spacer.png

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Bangaio said:

So a trip into my parents loft and I found this, my brothers n64. He doesn’t want it. Result! I sold my absolutely mint boxed console a few years back with all the games you’d want all boxed and mint so this is a bit of a downgrade but still. A few questionable games so I need to source wave race, pilot wings and 1080 but heh it’s still a great find. He has some nasty third party ram expansion but luckily still had the old jumper and cover so it’s back to usual. 

spacer.png

Hide contents

You need a copy of World Cup 98 ;)

I've given up on gaming at car boots I think my area got cleaned out years ago (partly my fault, I took advantage).
Problem is the only other thing I like to look for at car boots is trading cards and that ship has sailed even harder.

2 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

You need a copy of World Cup 98 ;)

You know what I’ve just been trying to get up to speed on your treasure trove thread. Any good n64 bits still left? 

2 minutes ago, Bangaio said:

You know what I’ve just been trying to get up to speed on your treasure trove thread. Any good n64 bits still left? 

Well, in the boxes I went through tonight, there was a copy of Goldeneye, South Park : Chef's Luv Shack, another copy of BattleTanx and about 30!! copies of World Cup 98, could have been something good :(

There's some boxed bits, but think I pictured all of those in the thread previously.

Some nice finds in here. My Dad picked up an N64 with Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie and a few others for £25 a couple of years ago. I'm currently in the process of getting it set up with HDMI support. I bought a SEGA Saturn for around £10 a decade or so ago, and some Mega CD games for pennies (sadly no SNATCHER, although I always looked out for it). These days, I never bother with car boots as people tend up price up things based on eBay trends, and it's rare to find a bargain. Like a few mentioned, there are dealers as well, arriving super early - snagging things, and then selling them on for more money (I knew one once as he used to come into our Game Station back when I worked there).

I've picked up a lot of weird and wonderful stuff over the years but I've been booting for probably 25 years on and off so I've some mileage on me haha.

Boxed Virtual Boy £5

Boxed Black Sega Sports Dreamcast £5

Snatcher / Guardian Heroes / Castlevania Symphony of the night (stupidly sold all of them as a poor student, paid less than a fiver each aaaaarghh)

2 Xecuter LCD front panelled Xboxes for a fiver.

Boxed Mega CD 2 for £10

Last 2 years brought me a CD32, Amiga 1200 and a huge joblot of Amiga 4000's, 2000's, a 1000, a PPC powered amiga plus more but that was blind luck and the house clearance seller not knowing what he had.

Well, after not getting home till 01:15 this morning, waking up at 6:11 before my sodding 6:20 alarm, bumbling off to the bootsale at 6:40...

I done fucking GREAT!!

Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Wii Sports REsort ( discs only ) - £5

Portal 2, Split/Second, NFS: Hot Persuit & 2 x GTA Episodes From Liberty City - PS3 - £5

Silent Hill 2 - No Mnaual or Front slipcase cover thing - £1

Just Cause 3 & 4 - X1 - £2

Daxter - PSP - £1

Large Bulbasaur Plush - £2

Razer Blackwidow Chroma KB - £10

Blue GBA SP, with Ultiamte Spider-Man inside - £2

2 x DSi, and games - £40

Those games were:-

FIFA 10

Cars Mater National

Pokemon Heartgold

Pokemon Diamond ( Chewed by DOg or something :( )

Pokemon Diamond Unboxed

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon : Blue Rescue Team Unboxed

Pokemon Pearl

Pokemon Pearl Unboxed

Pokemon Platinum

GTA : Chinatown Wars

Pokemon Black

Boxes but no games for :-

POkemon Soulsilver

Sonic Rush

Diddy Kong Racing

Animal Crossing

2 x Spyro Shadow Legacy

Probably would have haggled on that lot, as I'm evil... but someone was literally standing on my shoulder to see what I was leaving behind... nothing was the answer to that, he's well out of his boot sale zone 😛

As always, tilt ya head 😂

no idea why pictures come out 90’ adjusted.

update on the dog ears diamond…

plugged it in, got the black screen error, “turn power off” thing.

pulled it apart, heated the chips, wedged it in an Alex rider storm breaker shell, got a bee, blue screen, data could not be read, turn power off.

after much heating, I removed the smaller chip ( large one is the games Mask ROM) , when I removed it, part of the contacts fell off, so looks like that chip was actually already damaged, and tried it with out it, I still got the same error.

nedt, I went to Bing ( reward points in’it 😉) and started searching for ds pcb shots, trying to find one of the Pokémon diamonds cart and work out wheat the chip was, instead, I found someone replacing a copy of Mario kart that had been chewed into a brand bee replacement shell, while watching, I spotted that MK:DS uses the same pcb, grabbed one off the shelf, gently pulled it apart and bingo, similar looking chip, swapped it onto Diamonds board and now I have a faulty Mario kart and a working Pokémon diamond…. I fucking love tinkering with this shit when it results in something working ☺️☺️

@carlospie here’s some Bulbcarsaur 😂

21313D84-B93D-4528-88D8-B0AFF0E4071C.jpeg

AA99F527-0B3F-45EF-9838-233BE4BAEDE9.jpeg

5304816D-342B-4D0A-BE1C-F2CCCD97AF46.jpeg

9CAC9106-C223-4254-9874-5A3415FEBB31.jpeg

9F625C04-B4CD-4D23-9FC5-C7C4C687C7ED.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dig Dug said:

That's a big boi.

To be fair, it is a small ish car, Z4, he's in the front because if I stuffed him in the boot, I couldn't put the window shelf down and retract the roof 😛

Looks like Splott Market is shutting down within the next year, sites been sold off. 

Fingers crossed the other Cardiff one returns as rumoured or that's basically my two main boots gone in the space of 2 years

I did a stall at a car boot yesterday, we were swarmed with traders and people as soon as we started to unpack. I did sell some gamecubes though, inc the saurian cable as I was tired of having it around. 

2 hours ago, Oracle said:

I did a stall at a car boot yesterday, we were swarmed with traders and people as soon as we started to unpack. I did sell some gamecubes though, inc the saurian cable as I was tired of having it around. 

Quite a niche item. Did the buyer know what it was?

Went to my first boot of the year last Sunday!

It was a fair size but very little gaming stuff, hardly any 360 or PS3 stuff even.

I did pick up a load of Star Wars Disney Infinity figures for a tenner, and Cod WW2 for £2, so at least I got something. 

96A5E033-3D63-47BE-9BC9-3571BC3DCA51.jpeg