Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

If that is Luigi 1, hit me up when you're done and want to sell / swap it, I don't own that and would like to, an actual "for me " purchase, not something to sell on :)

Oh, and seeing MH: Stories doing that much... makes me wish I'd actually gone to pick up those 2 I had on reserve at Argos now :(  Bollocks :(

They've returned.

Strange lack of dealers this morning, didn't mind as I had a fair shake for once.

£40 got me x2 Xbox 360 slims with 250gb hdd's, 2 Wii's and wiimotes for £5, 4 360 games, avermedia hdmi capture dongle, blue dual shock 4, switch psu, Mumra figure from 1985 plus some random bits and bobs. Some decent CeX trade fodder to start building up for a ps5.

Much better this morning, well, couldn't get much worse after yesterday.
Still not a superb day, but baby steps to get the boot season off to a start..

Wii & Games - £15 ( 2 x MK Wii, 3 controllers )

Red Dsi - £5

Battlefront 2 & Walking Dead Season 1 - Xbox One - £4

GTA 4 - PS3 - £1

Sonic 2006, Portal 2 ( 360 ) & NFS _ Most Wanted ( PS2 ) - £3

Kindle with screen damage - £1

I picked up a Rab sleeping bag for £2! It's a summer pertex shell but will be perfect for camping outside car boots so I can get in early to hoover up all dem bargains. 

1 hour ago, erhgiez said:

Another great little find today. My heart almost skipped a beat when seeing them. There is nothing quite like an unpicked charity shop!

Games £5 for all

xboxes £35 for both, apparently working but need to check, maybe they are modded!

Edit: one works fine but the other has a jammed disc drive, will need to look into this.

It's quite possibly a dried belt, I've had to change a few out over the years. Stick a paper clip in the manual eject hole and it should pop out. 

23 minutes ago, Spartan said:

It's quite possibly a dried belt, I've had to change a few out over the years. Stick a paper clip in the manual eject hole and it should pop out. 

Tried that, the mechanism pulls the draw in and out but seems to jam when opened and closed. Any ideas?

Last time I went in a charity shop, I asked about games, they said none of them go on the shop floor any more, they get sent off to eBay... ffs :(

Nice find though for sure.

Spartan sounds right, usually the belts get old and don't open the drive properly, press eject and apply some light pressure / pull on it, while it is trying to eject, it should come out all the way then.

It's almost always the belt needing changing on them. Classic symptom is the tray not ejecting or getting stuck when open. Even the older 360's are doing the same thing, dunno what it is with the drive belts on the MS consoles. If you can get it open and have a small set of tweezers, they are fairly simple to change. Don't let the drive tray go back in without the belt, it's a pain to get back open. 

7 hours ago, Spartan said:

It's almost always the belt needing changing on them. Classic symptom is the tray not ejecting or getting stuck when open. Even the older 360's are doing the same thing, dunno what it is with the drive belts on the MS consoles. If you can get it open and have a small set of tweezers, they are fairly simple to change. Don't let the drive tray go back in without the belt, it's a pain to get back open. 

Open drive, pull power cord.. drive doesn't shut :)

On 17/04/2021 at 18:22, Dig Dug said:

Day in my life. Guess which one was missing the game card when I went to pay.

CDA0AC2B-EC60-4E66-A8EA-88197068BBAB.thumb.jpeg.f1179d6f95344038a2d6297796d80d9d.jpeg

I wouldn't e at all surprised if that MH game card went "missing" into a drawer for retrieval later. 

Thought I'd found something slightly different in a Bedford Hospice charity shop20210422_162905.thumb.jpg.7bdefe2ebdeaa3004c90dd3e583fc89a.jpg

The back said there were two discs, it was taped shut so couldn't have a nosey, but it was only 50p. Paid for it, got outside, opened it up, the game disc was there but in the little cradle for the second disc was

20210422_163028.thumb.jpg.d52665756828357f383898f1bd7384c4.jpg

:(

Another decent find on the way home from work. Asked my local if they had any other games and he brings a huge bag of Wii games up from the basement.

£15 - there’s also a disc only Mario galaxy and Wii sports in the blank case.

2A167481-4B5B-4A28-94F2-49DF5F29CDE6.jpeg

7 hours ago, AlexM said:

I've never seen games or games consoles in Charity Shops, are they out the front or do you need to ask? 

sometimes they’re buried in the dvd section.

or worse, the kids books.

10 hours ago, AlexM said:

I've never seen games or games consoles in Charity Shops, are they out the front or do you need to ask? 

It’s always worth having a friendly chat with them and ask if the have anything they are still waiting to put out. The charity shops around me get picked daily by multiple people, so you have to be lucky to find something on the shelves that’s worth anything. I have been insanely lucky in the last few weeks, found more than I have in the last few years!

5 hours ago, SeanR said:

sometimes they’re buried in the dvd section.

or worse, the kids books.

Used to enjoy finding Mega Drive games among the VHS clamshells when charity shops still stocked old video cassettes. Found some amazing finds that way.

Anyway, it’s definitely worth a look at charidee shops at the moment. They’ve got four months worth of backlog of donated stock to display, including their post-Christmas donations. There’s probably some great stuff to be found if you’re lucky.

And try to get to the nice part of town.  That applies more to that there london, but it follows that the more affluent the area, the better the quality of donation.

im not a snob!

42 minutes ago, SeanR said:

And try to get to the nice part of town.  That applies more to that there london, but it follows that the more affluent the area, the better the quality of donation.

Best chazzas are often either suburban ones where it's easy for a car to drop stuff off, or urban ones in walking distance from middle-class housing. Not only do these places have great stuff, they often get so much through the doors that they price it up to shift quickly.

As for games, they're almost always just chucked in with whatever media has the same size boxes - e.g. PS1 stuff in with the CDs, PS2 with the DVDs, etc. Master System and Mega Drive used to get mixed in with VHS back when shops still carried them - they sometimes get chucked in with the kids toys now. The one to watch out for is Big Box PC games getting chucked in with the boardgames and puzzles, a trick I learnt from LGR.

I remember finding Wind Waker with the Master Quest bonus disc, AND the separate boxed Zelda 1, 2, Ocarina & Majoras boxed disc, for 50p each in a DVD rack at one of my locals. I wasn't looking for them, they just happened to be fronted up and caught my eye.

Yes, I've had a few Wii games looking through the DVDs. You also get PC CD games in with the CDs. A friend of mine got a copy of System Shock 2 that way before it went to digital. 

I've not had much luck for a while, not just because of COVID but because I'm not buying for everything, I'm only really looking for PSP games, though I'll pick up anything that I see thats interesting (like I thought that GT3 was going to be), I've also been picking up kid friendly Wii games if I see them as my younger two now have the Wii in their bedroom (though they're more than happy to keep playing Bubble Bobble :wub: )

On 23/04/2021 at 01:31, wev said:

Thought I'd found something slightly different in a Bedford Hospice charity shop20210422_162905.thumb.jpg.7bdefe2ebdeaa3004c90dd3e583fc89a.jpg

The back said there were two discs, it was taped shut so couldn't have a nosey, but it was only 50p. Paid for it, got outside, opened it up, the game disc was there but in the little cradle for the second disc was

20210422_163028.thumb.jpg.d52665756828357f383898f1bd7384c4.jpg

:(

Huh. I’ve got (or had) a bunch of these, because that’s the period where I was doing a fair bit of paid games writing. The press disc is usually just a CD with a few screenshots and maybe the press release, nothing terribly exciting (though I get that it’s at least different from the regular retail release).

10 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

Huh. I’ve got (or had) a bunch of these, because that’s the period where I was doing a fair bit of paid games writing. The press disc is usually just a CD with a few screenshots and maybe the press release, nothing terribly exciting (though I get that it’s at least different from the regular retail release).

Yeah I thought that may be the case, all of the promos I got for PS2 on my old site were in clear jewel cases (and screenshots etc would all be emailed) so I wondered if this offered up anything different 

Usually not — bear in mind that even at that time, not every publisher wanted early screenshots everywhere, or presumed that everyone had decent online access to grab them. Throwing them on a press disc allowed them to track exactly which shots went where, limit their use and so on. 

I recall once going through that terrible-smelling CEX branch off Oxford St in London, and it was *packed* with press copies of all sorts of games, all proclaiming that they weren’t in fact for sale.

Probably coincidental that one of the main offices of the company that owns IGN was just down the block, right?