Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

On 02/04/2021 at 14:12, gospvg said:

A tenner?

You can't ( goes to check this wasn't posted yesterday !! ) be fucking serious ?!?!

I do hope you bought this absolute GOLD mine!!

Yep purchased cost me a bit more than a tenner. I already have a buyer for quite a few of the titles so will flip it quite quickly. I was a bit surprised that they even had some sealed games.

11 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Yep purchased cost me a bit more than a tenner. I already have a buyer for quite a few of the titles so will flip it quite quickly. I was a bit surprised that they even had some sealed games.

How much more? !?! Come on.. I'm nosey :-p

As an aside, I wouldn't have flinched at dropping a grand on that, without even doing any adding up or checking.

I was going to say gotta be £1000+, noticed the sealed stuff. I don’t understand where these bundles come from? It’s clearly from a collector, so for a bargainous price it’s either deceased/mother clearing out/disgruntled partner

What’s the story?

22 hours ago, erhgiez said:

I was going to say gotta be £1000+, noticed the sealed stuff. I don’t understand where these bundles come from? It’s clearly from a collector, so for a bargainous price it’s either deceased/mother clearing out/disgruntled partner

What’s the story?

A lfellow local car-booter is clearing out and I purchased a few boxes at the rate Mike mentioned to me at 40%.

Majority of the games are being collected tomorrow, sold the lot to another collector.

4 minutes ago, gospvg said:

A lfellow local car-booter is clearing out and I purchased a few boxes at the rate Mike mentioned to me at 40%.

Majority of the games are being collected tomorrow, sold the lot to another collector.

Yeah, that 40% needs to cover all associated fee's etc, getting shot of them like that is superb as it means you've zero overheads, the best way to get rid of them, being collected, paying right away, no advertising / eBay fee's... lovely :)

8 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Yeah, that 40% needs to cover all associated fee's etc, getting shot of them like that is superb as it means you've zero overheads, the best way to get rid of them, being collected, paying right away, no advertising / eBay fee's... lovely :)

Thanks for your advice Mike. Selling to a collector is great like you say it saves on fees and packing/postage.

On 03/04/2021 at 18:20, gospvg said:

Crikey, I haven't been keeping up with the thread! Do you mean around £400 then? If I'd paid £10 I don't think I would have been able to sleep at nights. What a haul though, fantastic stuff. Someone knew their stuff, great to see them all together like that. NGPC games still the de facto best console game cases for me!:wub:

Sorry all I have had to go back and delete the photo posted, I've been contacted twice now from people outside of rllmuk. Forgot the retro folder was open to all.

7 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I want to see the photo now! :blink:

No, no you don't... you'll be more than envious!! :P

Think I've had some good deals? Not like this one, it was such a good deal that @gospvgwent back and gave his mate MORE money !!

2 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

No, no you don't... you'll be more than envious!! :P

Think I've had some good deals? Not like this one, it was such a good deal that @gospvgwent back and gave his mate MORE money !!

I don't buy these things – I live vicariously through you guys.

13 hours ago, gospvg said:

Agree about the cases they are a great design. I paid £800 and sold the whole box for £2K. I went back to see John yesterday and gave him £600 to split the difference. I have too much of a conscience. 

That's such a nice thing to do. Good for you may this bring you unlimited car boot karma my friend.

Just discovered LGR Thrifts on YouTube. Basically an affable geek wearing camera glasses, driving around thrift stores, and sifting them for interesting tech and games.

It’s both some fascinating vicarious browsing, and a glimpse into the word of US thrift stores which are *huge*. “Yeah, this is just a little hole in the wall place, but they sometimes have good stuff”, he says, as he walks into something the size of a mid-90s UK supermarket.

They also seems to sell absolutely everything - electronics and all. Looks pretty incredible, TBH.

I have to admire his system for finding miscategorized games, checking the CD section for PC, DC & PS1 games (they had standard jewel cases there), the DVD section for PS2, Wii, GameCube etc, the VHS section for Genesis games, and (genius) the boardgame section for big-box PC games. 

Cannot wait for the car boots opening this weekend.  Thinking of heading up to the one at York Races on Saturday.

No real idea of what it's like as I've never been to that one before.  Wife's already warned me to not buy any more junk. 

Just now, rafaqat said:

Cannot wait for the car boots opening this weekend.  Thinking of heading up to the one at York Races on Saturday.

No real idea of what it's like as I've never been to that one before.  Wife's already warned me to not buy any more junk. 

I'm considering going to one on Wednesday it's a 100 mile round trip, and I'll have to take the Z4, so not much room for stuff, but.... it could be brilliant!!

And tell the Wife, anything you don't want, you can probably flip to Mr Beaver ;)

Just now, MikeBeaver said:

I'm considering going to one on Wednesday it's a 100 mile round trip, and I'll have to take the Z4, so not much room for stuff, but.... it could be brilliant!!

And tell the Wife, anything you don't want, you can probably flip to Mr Beaver ;)

I need some tips.  I'm a total noob.  I tend to wander round the whole place and just nosey at stuff that looks good. So far I've tended to buy for myself and I've not got much of an idea of what makes a bargain price other than googling what CEX would pay for it.  

My first thought with any games is "was it a game I loved and played when I was a kid"  as a first rule.

3 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Just discovered LGR Thrifts on YouTube. Basically an affable geek wearing camera glasses, driving around thrift stores, and sifting them for interesting tech and games.

It’s both some fascinating vicarious browsing, and a glimpse into the word of US thrift stores which are *huge*. “Yeah, this is just a little hole in the wall place, but they sometimes have good stuff”, he says, as he walks into something the size of a mid-90s UK supermarket.

They also seems to sell absolutely everything - electronics and all. Looks pretty incredible, TBH.

I have to admire his system for finding miscategorized games, checking the CD section for PC, DC & PS1 games (they had standard jewel cases there), the DVD section for PS2, Wii, GameCube etc, the VHS section for Genesis games, and (genius) the boardgame section for big-box PC games. 

LGR is brilliant. Watch his topics called Oddware. Some fucking awesome bits of weird tech.

27 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

LGR is brilliant. Watch his topics called Oddware. Some fucking awesome bits of weird tech.

I did the entire set through the early lockdown, epic times :lol:

Any idea what glasses he uses? I could be persuaded to get a pair and do a YT series, I've been meaning to do "something" on there for the best part of a decade, might as well do carboot scalping I guess :-p

5 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Any idea what glasses he uses? I could be persuaded to get a pair and do a YT series, I've been meaning to do "something" on there for the best part of a decade, might as well do carboot scalping I guess :-p

Can't remember for the life of me but he shows them off in a couple of of the vids, weren't anything fancy from what I recall just a camera mounted on what looked like awful 90's sunglasses.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

I need some tips.  I'm a total noob.  I tend to wander round the whole place and just nosey at stuff that looks good. So far I've tended to buy for myself and I've not got much of an idea of what makes a bargain price other than googling what CEX would pay for it.  

My first thought with any games is "was it a game I loved and played when I was a kid"  as a first rule.

Sounds like you're doing it right. 

43 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

He shows off a pair at the end of Episode 3, but that’s pretty ancient, so he probably has something better by now. Thankfully the running commentary is added later, not recorded live. 

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

York boot is my local. It’s a big site, two fields split by an access road. It has a “No New” rule, which stops it just being an outdoor market, but nonetheless about 50% of the sellers are the same people every week - a mixture of antique dealers, house clearance companies, hobbyists and Gumtree/Facebook/Freecycle shitehawks. That said, the ones that keep their stock turning over can be worth checking every week.

The other 50% is families and one-off sellers, which is where the real treasure is at. Generally speaking the regular/pro-traders arrive first and go around the outside of the south field. They then fill the middle of the south field with later arrivals (late regulars and keen families), then start filling the north field (almost all families). 

As always with car boots, you can be lucky, or you can make your own luck be being pushy, mugging sellers as they park/unpack, and/or asking them if they have any of your interest areas yet to come out. I prefer to just be lucky, but YMMV.

Either way, good stuff goes quickly, so it’s generally best to hit the north field first (unless you’re really early), then the middle of the south field, then finally the regulars around the outside edge, and laugh at that same awful stuffed badger that has been there for years. There’s a decent enough coffee wagon, a good cake stall, and some crappy roadside diner type places which are bewilderingly popular (can’t face chips for breakfast). 

I’m not in the market for retro stuff generally (CDs and kids books, here), but I suspect that the regular seller who carries eBay priced stuff probably hoovers it all up first thing in the morning and puts it on his stall at twice the price - this is usually the way. I do see the occasional thing of interest, but never take it home.