Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

25 minutes ago, Camel said:

What was the rare C64 game?

Who Dares Wins, by Alligator soft, it went for some ungodly amount, £400+, it was documented on the forum throughout the auction :p

Just now, Camel said:

Oh nice.

Yeah, the money came in one hand and went out the other though, I'd sold a PC at the time on HUKD and it had got smashed in the post, had to refund that, so at the end I was about even, and had a PC that was knackered... it's still here, still knackered.

Yeah, from memory the guy had about 10 bags of casettes, all bundled up, I picked one up that looked like it had the most legit ones in there and off I went, pretty sure it was £2 for the whole bag, maybe the other bags had loads of it in there, maybe I just got inexplicably lucky that day, it was on the last row, 2nd or 3rd time round and heading home, just clocked out the corner of my eye !

29 minutes ago, Camel said:

Rarest C64 game I own is also from a boot sale - Ducksoft's Colossal Caves. One of the 64's 'lost' games before I chanced upon it.

Can't find a ROM for that. Did you make some sort of backup?

I haven't been to a boot sale since you could buy a Master System 2 for a fiver! :(

Any of you ever been to the Long Bennington (Notts/Lincs) car boot sale? That was my local! Used to be massive.

5 hours ago, Camel said:

Of course. It's in the GameBase collection. 

http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=13566&d=18&h=0

Great but always worth checking. Horrifying sometimes how people get hold of stuff when there's no sort of backup or ROM because they want to hold onto it. Once this stuffs gone, it's gone. Literally lost to history and always best to get it out there in some form or another.

I'm patiently waiting for my locals to reopen in South Wales. Most were shutdown last year but two plowed on through outside of the lockdowns, Facebook market place is no replacement that's for sure

• 3 weeks later...

Scouring Facebook marketplace is still yielding a few gems. Picked up Bloodborne and the hardback collectors edition guide for £15. The box was standard but the disc was the GOTY version. The books a bit worn at the edges but is nice to own. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was literally saying to someone that I hate these two people yesterday, and now they've moved to a new level... £10 and you're charging £3.50 for fucing postage?? Fuck off, get back in the sea you cunts!

They’re not expecting to get that, they’re open to offers. People were putting ridiculous fake bids into the previous auction. Offers above £500 apparently. I think it’s absolutely worthless, but horses for courses etc.

1 hour ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Pfff, the original No Mercy cartridges were recalled for not saving properly. Bet that one has the bug. No thanks.

But if it doesn't it's probably worth buying :lol:

7 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

I get that it's genuinely one of a kind, but if anyone has more money than sense...

When Acclaim went tits up, I worked on the top floor of their Manchester office. Once they'd taken what they wanted and left, one of the senior producers came upstairs to us and told us we could go down and take anything we wanted. My boss walked in ahead of me and scooped up probably about a dozen N64 development carts. I didn't think they'd be worth anything, so didn't bother with anything like that... 

• 2 weeks later...

@MikeBeaver was kind enough to offer to look out for Minidisc stuff for me in the upcoming Car Boot Sale season, in response to my Wanted post on this very forum.

Which set me wondering what we are likely to see this season. After a year of lockdown with no outlets other than FB Marketplace, Shpock, Gumtree etc to sell, I'm hoping this might be a bumper season.

I'm hoping to see:

- XBox One & PS4 collections 

- Silly cheap 360 / PS3 games

- the odd Switch title if the traders don't get them first

- maybe some 3DS stuff

- Unboxed Amiibo

- Lots of cheap jigsaw puzzles (don't judge me) 

- a few of the minis (Megadrive/SNES/NES) 

- An absolute Avalanche of music CDs & DVDs

Proper retro stuff disappeared in any volume nearly 10 years ago so that will be as rare as ever. 

Any other Nostradamuses out there? 

Ps: Minidisc recorders, players and discs still wanted

Can’t wait for the tidal wave of CDs. A NES Mini would be very welcome too.

Funnily enough, what I’m most looking forward to is new children’s books. I’ve been reading my lad the same books for a year now, with charity shops or car boots to keep the rotation up. We have literally hundreds, and he’s not tired of them, but my word I am, having read most of them to his sister for years too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what is officially the stance on car boots with lockdown?

Do they count as market’s, which I guess will reopen when shops do on the April 12th or outdoor events of more than 30 which will be later in the year?

My local is planning to re-open on the 17th April, so I'm assuming they're outdoor markets.

Can't decide if I'll go or not. No-one in my circle is shielding, but we've been pretty damn careful thus far.

2 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

My local is planning to re-open on the 17th April, so I'm assuming they're outdoor markets.

Can't decide if I'll go or not. No-one in my circle is shielding, but we've been pretty damn careful thus far.

Thanks,  17th sounds about right.  I was hoping to have had my first jab by then but that seems unlikely now. 

The few that I went to last year weren’t bad for social distancing but after 4 months of lockdown it does seem like a bit of a risk for a slim chance of a bargain. 

Loads round here starting , first is "Marks tey" it's a Wednessday one and is opening on the 14th, I shall not be going, mostly because it's a fucking long way away ;p

Next up, Trinity Park, the old Suffolk Showground, that starts at 7am on the 17th, I shall be in the queue at 6, maybe 6:30am, and I'm going hunting for goodies... it's been too long!!!

Antibac, mask are a must though, I'm taking a risk, but will mittigate as much as I can ;)

17th for Bessemer and I'm assuming Splott in Cardiff, I suspect Gelligaer and Sully will start up end of April along with the smaller boots I know from May. 

I've not been able to go to one since December in Wales.

....And that's Bessemer shutdown for good according to its organiser tonight ffs

Edited by Spartan