Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

Not video games, but I found a stack of fighting fantasy books in a charity shop. I loved them when I was younger so looking forward to a nostalgic trip. They aren’t the original ones but the most recent reprints I think. I got the first 10 of what is called ‘series 2’ which isn’t the same order as the originals.

I used to have a decent collection when I was younger, and some of the original ones fetch a high price! Alas, they all went to the charity shop at some point

18 hours ago, erhgiez said:

Not video games, but I found a stack of fighting fantasy books in a charity shop. I loved them when I was younger so looking forward to a nostalgic trip. They aren’t the original ones but the most recent reprints I think. I got the first 10 of what is called ‘series 2’ which isn’t the same order as the originals.

I used to have a decent collection when I was younger, and some of the original ones fetch a high price! Alas, they all went to the charity shop at some point

Did a full set review last year and they all hold up really well.

On 08/12/2020 at 21:22, erhgiez said:

Probably about 12 years back now but I saw a plastic tub full of familiar green spines outside a charity shop. Picked the whole lot up, matched and and asked how much for the lot. Can't remember what it was in the end, maybe £20 for an almost full run upto mid thirties. I'd sold my own collection having "grown up" and this was too good an opportunity to pass.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I think there's probably a dozen or more in my mum and dad's house. They must be pushing 40 years old now, right? The books, not my parents.

Must be around that age. I started playing City of Thieves a few nights ago. I'd forgotten how good these were. Might actually be able to win and complete some of them now!

2 hours ago, Bluejam said:

That moment when you randomly look on market place at the right time and within 2 miles of the location of the advert and the advert says “These any good to Anyone? Free to whoever collects first”

Really pleased with this lot (well, maybe not the DS games but hey!) 

852963FF-8E77-4964-861E-45D808129DFF.jpeg

ED575342-BC4D-4455-9249-FCDA39D615D5.jpeg

That's an amazing find considering it was free!?

• 1 month later...

I saw this on a retro group and it was cheap enough to go in the collection. I’d have had one of these when I was about 6 and even though it was a bit pants, even back then, I still like the idea. It’d probably make a fun kids app. The story on the back is wonderfully grand for a purely stats based children’s game. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

16 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Yes... don't rub it in, last one I went to was October :( Withdrawl syptoms

August for us. Then we stopped as the "covid secure" carboot was anything but. No one enforcing distancing, everyone ignoring one way systems, people crouding round like normal etc. With the wife getting 6 months pregnant at the time I was like fuck it. Not comfortable coming to these for the foreseeable.

10 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Summer 2019 for me :wacko: Was lucky to get to a retro event right at the start of last year before everything was shut. Spent sssoo much money and now reduced to eBay :lol:

I was selling at VGM in Doncaster on the 1st of March, seems like a life time ago now, and no chance of there being one on this year, plus, even if it was on, I wouldn't be going, didn't feel 100% safe last year, and that was before we'd even had a lockdown, all the stuff I usually take there has slowly been finding it's way to eBay, I hate listing stuff :p

5 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

I was selling at VGM in Doncaster on the 1st of March, seems like a life time ago now, and no chance of there being one on this year, plus, even if it was on, I wouldn't be going, didn't feel 100% safe last year, and that was before we'd even had a lockdown, all the stuff I usually take there has slowly been finding it's way to eBay, I hate listing stuff :p

Yeah that's the one I visited. Was so busy compared to others but recall steering well clear of people. Whereabouts were you in the hall?

The thrill of the hunt has definitely been absent from my life these last few years, especially since the pandemic hit.

I’ve been reduced to pulling up switch eshop discounts every Thursday to get my fix.

I can’t see myself going to anything this year either.

I’m going to make a grim observation and wonder how much of the stuff at next summers carboots will have been previously owned by the late 100,000.

25 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Yeah that's the one I visited. Was so busy compared to others but recall steering well clear of people. Whereabouts were you in the hall?

Right as you walked in the doorway, we’d been shoved down the bottom of the hall the year before and I was very unhappy about that.

this was just before opening.

D9230D59-F242-494E-8228-37D59B56A4B1.thumb.jpeg.67d73a43a1e87bec1186cba3b6ea2594.jpeg

I've not been to car boot sale in years, last was probably 2016. Could not be asked with the hassle of all the bargain hunting horde once a new car arrived but I do miss a nice sunday stroll around.

Just now, new666uk said:

"Withdrawal symptoms"

Lucks that's all you got @MikeBeaver

I swear, I'll be at the first bootsale open that I can find round here, might have to wear a hazmat suit, but I'll bloody be there, bright, early, pockets jingling and probably dissapointed, but you never know what you might find, had some epic finds over the years, mint boxed Mega CD - MD 1 and loads of HeroR Quest / Warhammer stuff ( £180 I think ), Debug PS1 ( £1) Symphony of the Night -RE3 FIFA 98 and some others ( £3.50) and that stupidly rare C64 game ( Bag full for £2 possibly ) being just a few, of course, there are days where all I've come away with is a £1 umbrella also ;)

4 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

I swear, I'll be at the first bootsale open that I can find round here, might have to wear a hazmat suit, but I'll bloody be there, bright, early, pockets jingling and probably dissapointed, but you never know what you might find, had some epic finds over the years, mint boxed Mega CD - MD 1 and loads of HeroR Quest / Warhammer stuff ( £180 I think ), Debug PS1 ( £1) Symphony of the Night -RE3 FIFA 98 and some others ( £3.50) and that stupidly rare C64 game ( Bag full for £2 possibly ) being just a few, of course, there are days where all I've come away with is a £1 umbrella also ;)

Rambo.thumb.jpg.4fc6d5f4342279cb8d1a9cd70716cc06.jpg

HeroQuest and Warhammer you say? I'm selling that sort of stuff atm but here's what I plan to wear for my next boot.