rllmuk
Cecil Kay

Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

20 hours ago, Parappa said:

Yeah it is awful compared to ISS. Another reason why PS won the war I guess. 

Wasn’t the Saturn dead by the time ISS Pro was released?

9 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Wasn’t the Saturn dead by the time ISS Pro was released?

1996 in Japan, 1997 in the rest of the world.

so yeah, I mean, the saturn was DOA 1994...

Japan was the Saturn's best territory and was still getting releases even when the Dreamcast was on the market. Street Fighter Zero 3 came out in 1999

7 hours ago, SeanR said:

2000 in Japan, 1998 in the rest of the world.

Corrected your post for you.

Think you will be lucky to find any Sega Saturn games in a car boot sale these days. Never had any Saturn luck myself in boot sales mostly PS1 games.

Saturn games are semi regular at the boots I go to. Not unusual to see something every 4th or 5th boot. Having never had one or even played on one I've no particular interest unless things are dirt cheap.

The earlier PAL cardboard box style boxes were fucking shite . Most of them have probably disintegrated by now. It's kinda funny how Sega had brilliant boxes for the Master System ,Mega Drive and Mega CD, then they dabbled in shite cardboard for 32X and the Saturn.  The later Saturn games came in pre-DVD long cases that are really nice but a bugger to open, but by then the writing was on the wall for the system in Europe anyway. Dreamcast ones look lovely as but are likely to implode if you look at them funny.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Dreamcast ones look lovely but implode if you look at them funny.

FTFY

Looking at my old gamecube games, I didn't realise how pricey Paper Mario ttyd has got, I think it's the most valuable classic game I've got.

That was a great game. 

Yeah? What does it fetch these days?

Probably the cue for Ninty to re-release on Switch and trash the value!

I think the most valuable game I had was an old Origin 'Worlds of Ultima' game on PC; the spin-off set in a lost Aztec/Inca valley.

On 16/02/2020 at 20:29, Oracle said:

You know the situation where a friend is clearing out their house and they give you a bunch of consoles for free?

And how it always seems like it never happens in reality?

hold my beer, the videogame fairy just called at my house

Spoiler

DB91E203-A82F-4AD5-AD26-9104B95832EA.thumb.jpeg.80ffb92126c2561f247f2a508d0d465c.jpeg

69DB1466-6371-4E67-AAEC-4FF3A5FB9ACE.thumb.jpeg.1f9ae3bd20acf5ec8d6614852d0b158d.jpeg

EBEF026D-B1A9-44E8-82DE-B753433D7E37.thumb.jpeg.7dd1b9a97330a1928497b7d6c9374a00.jpeg

82347FEF-8388-4708-AB94-49AA30E42BAD.thumb.jpeg.3387c4d2c23e0955ef44dcbed9a40af7.jpeg

the Amiga (1mb) is a lot worse than it looks in that photo, ex smokers, see? My bestie and his dad. It’s proper yellow, and the expansion slot is... corroded.

He’s having a proper clear out, proper council-recycling-centre dumped a load of 8-bit Ataris. I’ve already told him what you all think of him.

the PSone cases are mostly cracked, well chuffed with DHT though: One of those games I regret selling, and while I still have a crt too!

the SNES carts are small fry in comparison. But I found my jpn super r-type too

Spoiler

B5E43DB4-7DE3-4953-B22D-5F05E9C434EB.thumb.jpeg.c2b1b5933bb85b91ef4b18432399bfee.jpeg

i can’t say it was exactly “free”, more of an exchange. If you count a birthday present from September of whatever year this was released, and a retroPi3

Spoiler

32504137-19CA-4DEB-B825-6F7C9327B1B0.thumb.jpeg.99e90755713cae741d8244df7d34ecdd.jpeg

image.png

• Upvote 6

Popped into my local market today on my day off. There's a second-hand seller in there who does a bit of retro gaming, it's usually the same dross so I don't bother looking much but today he had a random unboxed copy of Cadash on the Sega genesis for 4.50, so couldnt say no to that!

• Upvote 2

Finally managed to figure out how to enable auto tune on my old uni crt without having the remote control - which meant I could hook up both the SNES and N64 via the aerial lead.

The SNES looked pretty decent all things considered, the N64...less so - quite a lot of grain and blur (which I assume is just the N64 in its default state), I assume there is no decent RGB mod available for the pal n64 as it would be nice to have both running over scart.

5 hours ago, Oracle said:

Finally managed to figure out how to enable auto tune on my old uni crt without having the remote control - which meant I could hook up both the SNES and N64 via the aerial lead.

The SNES looked pretty decent all things considered, the N64...less so - quite a lot of grain and blur (which I assume is just the N64 in its default state), I assume there is no decent RGB mod available for the pal n64 as it would be nice to have both running over scart.

There's actually a superb RGB mod available, with toggleable deblur feature and all sorts. I had one and it was fantastic: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/02/feature_getting_the_best_picture_out_of_your_nintendo_64_the_rgb_edition

16 hours ago, Oracle said:

Seems that mod chip is OOS everywhere though.

I have been looking for one for a couple of months with no success!

If I see any I will let you know. 

• Upvote 1

I dunno about you lot but I'm done with the car boots for the foreseeable future. 

Most of my locals have shutdown due to the outbreak and honestly I don't feel comfortable being around everyone whilst this is going on.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I dunno about you lot but I'm done with the car boots for the foreseeable future. 

Most of my locals have shutdown due to the outbreak and honestly I don't feel comfortable being around everyone whilst this is going on.

Yep, mine only started a few weeks back at te beginning of March, I have been to the grand sum of 3 boots so far this year, they have all been called off round here, so until we are free of the scurge that is Corona Virus, booting is back out the window, proper sad times indee, but people need to stay the fuck indoors and not spread it about, so it's for a good cause.

• Upvote 2

On 30/05/2020 at 16:34, gossi the dog said:

Picked up the below for €20. So around £3 a game :)

0D4A359B-CB38-493E-934D-C8A0D3674A9F.png

Nice. Been after Way Of The Samurai so if you fancy making a bit of a profit, give me a shout :) 

Amiga cleanup was... interesting 

Spoiler

857952B4-93EB-428A-96A7-DAAB2B37CFA6.thumb.jpeg.28b4feaadbbe93290f2af9ad4ef68f22.jpeg

The £30 Atari ST is next 

been out in the sun already

Spoiler

1827B62D-7F2D-4A38-AF96-20F33CF28E58.thumb.jpeg.a7df0159a6280319cf5b42c2dc78e86c.jpeg

that’s pre-sun bleaching, the black dust is iron oxide. The shielding might be corroded, which might knacker the floppy drive, when it gets magnetised.

I'd dismantle them and clean the whole things with fairy liquid etc prior to attempting any sunbleaching, surely?

The YouTube channel Retro Man Cave, despite the unpromising name, is actually a very calm and thoughtful show with a decent presenter, who does a lot of restoration stuff. Well recommended.

The baking powder for fluffy muffins turns out to be very useful for cleaning, too.

• Upvote 1

Haven’t got a bargain off the selling pages for ages but just paid £10 for these which I’m more than happy with

797-C346-C-437-F-462-A-AABA-41-FF14-CD4-

• Upvote 5

On 01/06/2020 at 19:26, Bluejam said:

If only I checked Facebook quicker 

fucckkkkkk

38F3A85B-BED7-41AC-8599-5299077CB487.jpeg

E1C725F2-30A0-46D5-AE08-0FAC544EFAC1.jpeg

Just me or do most fucktards on facebook who list items "free" mean "make an offer high enough I should consider selling you this"?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Camel said:

Don't do this, it's not pleasant.

I stand corrected.

That's the preferred verbage for Facebook took like that? I was trying not to just use 4 letter words to describe them.