Jump to content
rllmuk
Cecil Kay

Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

Just thumbing through an old issue of the eagle from November 1982

 

269EE93A-E395-42B3-8C90-1CA21D70272B.thumb.jpeg.142f5b8c4fffc917b98ffaf0a2879918.jpeg

 

I remember looking at those in the shops when we were buying our first home computer.

We went with a Dragon 32 which was definitely a better option.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hit a couple of boots on Saturday.

 

Queen - The Works on vinyl, nice condition throughout. £2

GTA V on x360 in great condition. 25 pence

Metroid First Hunt (demo) on DS. £1

 

Did see a DS lite for £1 but it had nothing with it and I want a DS-XL. Miserable weather on Sun and Mon meant I skipped those.

 

Out of curiosity what're peoples thoughts here? A lovely sunny book brings out all the folk having a clear-out (i.e. not traders) but also bigger crowds so more competition. Is a wet miserable boot better for bargains? Discuss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up a LG 42” smart tv off Facebook for free. Told the HDMI sockets had failed. 

 

A quick look on you tube and an hour later its all fixed up. Kids are playing fortnite on it (of course)

 

But well happy I’ve fixed it. It’s is really good nick especially as it was going to be dumped that day. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, new666uk said:

I hit a couple of boots on Saturday.

 

Queen - The Works on vinyl, nice condition throughout. £2

GTA V on x360 in great condition. 25 pence

Metroid First Hunt (demo) on DS. £1

 

Did see a DS lite for £1 but it had nothing with it and I want a DS-XL. Miserable weather on Sun and Mon meant I skipped those.

 

Out of curiosity what're peoples thoughts here? A lovely sunny book brings out all the folk having a clear-out (i.e. not traders) but also bigger crowds so more competition. Is a wet miserable boot better for bargains? Discuss.

 

Wet boots are a goldmine. Only the most desperate of people go and sell their stuff off for next to nothing and there's no competition.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SeanR said:

Just thumbing through an old issue of the eagle from November 1982

 

269EE93A-E395-42B3-8C90-1CA21D70272B.thumb.jpeg.142f5b8c4fffc917b98ffaf0a2879918.jpeg

I have one of those in the attic somewhere. Got it from a boot sale years ago, tested it to make sure it worked and put it away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, new666uk said:

I hit a couple of boots on Saturday.

 

Queen - The Works on vinyl, nice condition throughout. £2

GTA V on x360 in great condition. 25 pence

Metroid First Hunt (demo) on DS. £1

 

Did see a DS lite for £1 but it had nothing with it and I want a DS-XL. Miserable weather on Sun and Mon meant I skipped those.

 

Out of curiosity what're peoples thoughts here? A lovely sunny book brings out all the folk having a clear-out (i.e. not traders) but also bigger crowds so more competition. Is a wet miserable boot better for bargains? Discuss.

 

Next time you see a DS Lite for £1, grab it :p
i'll always pay £5 on them, so long as they have either 1 working top screen or good hinges, use them for part, and as long as the hinge is good, then it doesn't matter if it doesn't read carts / charge / screens are borked etc.

 

Finds this weekend were pretty low, even though I was out all 3 mornings.

 

Theme Hospital - PS1 - £1

Blue DSi with NSMB and Bowsers Inside Story - £12

Mario 64, Pokemon Stadium & F-Zero X - N64 - £20

Technics SL-3 Turntable ( needs a new belt ) - £1

 

Loads of random, low price 360, PS2 and Wii stuff, the above are just the choice bits, will of course keep going, bound to find more fun stuff soon :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now is the time to grab 360/PS3/Wii stuff. People are dumping it, I've amassed a large amount of 360 backwards compatible titles for next to nothing. The original xbox seems to be fading out, getting harder to find the disks beyond the usual sports titles. PS2 of course is every-bloody-where but a sea of shit. PS1 and earlier have all but gone beyond dealers stuck with the dross. There's a dealer down my local selling kula world on PS1 for £50 as an exception.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only big issue for me with 360 and PS3 is a lot of the titles feel redundant because of remasters and everything getting ported to PC. The pool of games worth owning on those systems shrinks each year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some PS2, x360 and Wii games but to be honest don't have any particular attachment to those systems - just too new! I seem to be a firm 8 and 16bit boy with the exception of PC games where I do like a good FPS (although currently still playing UT99 almost exclusively on it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found the first Wii U game I've ever seen in a chazza earlier. Granted, it was only Sports Connection but hopefully a sign of things to come. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys might like Vintage Tech Hunters on History Channel. Two (possibley in a relationship) nerds check boots, flea markets etc for old consoles, arcades, cameras and toys and anything cool really. Its worth a watch i reckon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/05/2019 at 06:39, Swainy said:

After recently buying an Acorn Electron my interest in getting a Model B was raised again. Anyway I snagged this yesterday in a local’ish pickup.

 

71gbQlM.jpg

 

I had over an hours drive but it’s immaculate and it’s been recapped. £75.

 

just need to buy an RGB Scart lead and an SD Card device.

 

Very jealous. Not used one since I was at school, and I wished I got to use it more. I loved my disc of games, and messing about trying to make the menu (of games) look better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

 

Very jealous. Not used one since I was at school, and I wished I got to use it more. I loved my disc of games, and messing about trying to make the menu (of games) look better.

I’ve now installed an SD card device so I’ve been playing some games on it tonight.

 

fXgxOx8.jpg

 

nh8wJ3r.jpg

 

1jqSOmC.jpg

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's probably shit but it's the only game we were allowed to play on my primary schools BBC! (It's a BBC Look and Read tie-in)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/05/2019 at 22:49, Spartan said:

Now is the time to grab 360/PS3/Wii stuff. People are dumping it, I've amassed a large amount of 360 backwards compatible titles for next to nothing. The original xbox seems to be fading out, getting harder to find the disks beyond the usual sports titles. PS2 of course is every-bloody-where but a sea of shit. PS1 and earlier have all but gone beyond dealers stuck with the dross. There's a dealer down my local selling kula world on PS1 for £50 as an exception.

 

I wonder about this sometimes: surely there are far more prints of ps2 games than ps1 games and more again of ps3/Xbox 360 games than ps2/Xbox/gc games?

 

surely the ubiquity of gaming means “collecting” should become easier as the years pass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Droo said:

 

I wonder about this sometimes: surely there are far more prints of ps2 games than ps1 games and more again of ps3/Xbox 360 games than ps2/Xbox/gc games?

 

surely the ubiquity of gaming means “collecting” should become easier as the years pass?

 

You'd think but try searching for specific titles outside of the mainstream and even now some titles are getting tricky to find (Outside of ebay or CEX I will add but that's at market price, not found at the bottom of a cardboard box in a muddy field on a Sunday price)

 

I've been lucky to find some rarer / desirable titles (some imported even) the last few years on the PS3/360/Wii/Xbox/PS1, such as Afrika, 3D Dot Heroes,  El Shaddai, Outrun Coast to Coast, Vib Ribbon for next to nothing (Sub £2).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spartan said:

 

You'd think but try searching for specific titles outside of the mainstream and even now some titles are getting tricky to find (Outside of ebay or CEX I will add but that's at market price, not found at the bottom of a cardboard box in a muddy field on a Sunday price)

 

I've been lucky to find some rarer / desirable titles (some imported even) the last few years on the PS3/360/Wii/Xbox/PS1, such as Afrika, 3D Dot Heroes,  El Shaddai, Outrun Coast to Coast, Vib Ribbon for next to nothing (Sub £2).

 

 

Picked "Afrika" from a charity shop in Norwich on Wednesday, still sealed, was £9 mind, but that's a steal for that one sealed, so it does happen.

By all accounts, the game is shocking though :p

 

Oh, and an unboxed "Metal Slug Advance" this morning for £1 at the booty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

@gossi the dog

 

The SFC games worked out at about €10 each apart from Panel De Pon which was twice that and the Famicom is AV modded. 

 

Seemed okay to me, but not cheap or anything. 

 

It's not expensive at all. The sfc games seem to be book/hard off prices, which is cheaper than you're going to get them in any retro game shop (especially in akihabara etc).

The going rate for an av modded famicom in Super Potato is more like 10,000 yen, and regular places generally don't sell them.

Where did you get it?

 

The only way you might get them cheaper is if you went trawling suburban secondhand bookshops/junkshops, and they really aren't what they used to be. Most of the bargains (and the shops that used to have them) are long gone these days.

 

You should have got the later model super gameboy though :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.