Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

1 minute ago, carlospie said:

I don’t get all this tweeting and hash tagging. What’s the point of it? Why so many tags? 

I join in with a community of people on Twitter sharing their finds/collections just as we're doing in here.

I think so yeah, people follow certain hashtags and you can search them, then Twitter can give you reccomendations on who to follow based on your interactions with the platform or who the people you are following also follow, but that also makes it easy to just surround yourself with people who are going to agree with you all of the time which is one of the platforms biggest problems imo

Saw this amazing thing Saturday. Commodore 8096 SK. Seller wanted £50 but I had no real use for it other than it looking like something from space 1999. No keyboard either.

The same seller the weekend before had a space helmet Philips TV last I missed out on for £30

_20190512_223730.JPG

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 22:39, Spartan said:

Saw this amazing thing Saturday. Commodore 8096 SK. Seller wanted £50 but I had no real use for it other than it looking like something from space 1999. No keyboard either.

You could have flipped that for a few hundred quite easily, working or not. I've been after one for a while, I'd have come over with a bad case of the vapours if I spotted one for £50.

9 hours ago, BoggyB said:

You could have flipped that for a few hundred quite easily, working or not. I've been after one for a while, I'd have come over with a bad case of the vapours if I spotted one for £50.

The size and weight of it would have made it almost impossible to post mind. I knew it was worth some money but let someone else have some fun with it. I'd already picked up a BBC Micro that morning.

15 hours ago, Spartan said:

The size and weight of it would have made it almost impossible to post mind. I knew it was worth some money but let someone else have some fun with it. I'd already picked up a BBC Micro that morning.

You have the best booties round your way Spartan. The nearest BBC product at our local boots would be an old copy of the Radio Times (with all the crosswords and competitions completed no doubt).

2 hours ago, new666uk said:

You have the best booties round your way Spartan. The nearest BBC product at our local boots would be an old copy of the Radio Times (with all the crosswords and competitions completed no doubt).

My stomping grounds (South East Wales / Cardiff) seem to be a hotbed of treasures lately. Ive have a lot of dealers / house clearers dumping stuff for next to nothing for 18 months / 2 years now. I've got competition mind you, mostly my own brother and a few other guys. Somebody nabbed a big stack of boxed N64 / SNES games last week. 

Ironically, I haven't seen a Dragon 32 in a decade despite being built an hour down the road from me.

21 hours ago, Spartan said:

My stomping grounds (South East Wales / Cardiff) seem to be a hotbed of treasures lately. Ive have a lot of dealers / house clearers dumping stuff for next to nothing for 18 months / 2 years now. I've got competition mind you, mostly my own brother and a few other guys. Somebody nabbed a big stack of boxed N64 / SNES games last week. 

Ironically, I haven't seen a Dragon 32 in a decade despite being built an hour down the road from me.

*quietly googles hotels in Cardiff with very early check outs...* 

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

Just thumbing through an old issue of the eagle from November 1982

269EE93A-E395-42B3-8C90-1CA21D70272B.thumb.jpeg.142f5b8c4fffc917b98ffaf0a2879918.jpeg

I remember looking at those in the shops when we were buying our first home computer.

We went with a Dragon 32 which was definitely a better option.

I hit a couple of boots on Saturday.

Queen - The Works on vinyl, nice condition throughout. £2

GTA V on x360 in great condition. 25 pence

Metroid First Hunt (demo) on DS. £1

Did see a DS lite for £1 but it had nothing with it and I want a DS-XL. Miserable weather on Sun and Mon meant I skipped those.

Out of curiosity what're peoples thoughts here? A lovely sunny book brings out all the folk having a clear-out (i.e. not traders) but also bigger crowds so more competition. Is a wet miserable boot better for bargains? Discuss.

Picked up a LG 42” smart tv off Facebook for free. Told the HDMI sockets had failed. 

A quick look on you tube and an hour later its all fixed up. Kids are playing fortnite on it (of course)

But well happy I’ve fixed it. It’s is really good nick especially as it was going to be dumped that day. 

3 hours ago, new666uk said:

Did see a DS lite for £1 but it had nothing with it and I want a DS-XL. Miserable weather on Sun and Mon meant I skipped those.

Out of curiosity what're peoples thoughts here? A lovely sunny book brings out all the folk having a clear-out (i.e. not traders) but also bigger crowds so more competition. Is a wet miserable boot better for bargains? Discuss.

Wet boots are a goldmine. Only the most desperate of people go and sell their stuff off for next to nothing and there's no competition.

4 hours ago, new666uk said:

Next time you see a DS Lite for £1, grab it :p
i'll always pay £5 on them, so long as they have either 1 working top screen or good hinges, use them for part, and as long as the hinge is good, then it doesn't matter if it doesn't read carts / charge / screens are borked etc.

Finds this weekend were pretty low, even though I was out all 3 mornings.

Theme Hospital - PS1 - £1

Blue DSi with NSMB and Bowsers Inside Story - £12

Mario 64, Pokemon Stadium & F-Zero X - N64 - £20

Technics SL-3 Turntable ( needs a new belt ) - £1

Loads of random, low price 360, PS2 and Wii stuff, the above are just the choice bits, will of course keep going, bound to find more fun stuff soon :)

Now is the time to grab 360/PS3/Wii stuff. People are dumping it, I've amassed a large amount of 360 backwards compatible titles for next to nothing. The original xbox seems to be fading out, getting harder to find the disks beyond the usual sports titles. PS2 of course is every-bloody-where but a sea of shit. PS1 and earlier have all but gone beyond dealers stuck with the dross. There's a dealer down my local selling kula world on PS1 for £50 as an exception.

Only big issue for me with 360 and PS3 is a lot of the titles feel redundant because of remasters and everything getting ported to PC. The pool of games worth owning on those systems shrinks each year.

I have some PS2, x360 and Wii games but to be honest don't have any particular attachment to those systems - just too new! I seem to be a firm 8 and 16bit boy with the exception of PC games where I do like a good FPS (although currently still playing UT99 almost exclusively on it).