rllmuk
Cecil Kay

Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

Have you had a chance to try it yet?

Not had a chance yet.. My wife gave me the kind of look you give a cat when it enters the house with a dead mouse when I turned up with it on Sunday morning (in fairness it was in a bit of a state).

So going to set it up when she's not around next weekend.

I'm finding my local car boot fair expensive, I see some cool things but they're wanting loads for them. Saw a Master System today - £18. Vita man is still there trying to sell it.

I wonder about people who are there every week. £10-£15 entry fee and taking stuff home every week because you're asking too much. They can't be making much.

At our one you can buy a season pass, so depending on weather the traders will save a bit there. And, weather fans, its looking like we're going to have a long season this year.

Not sure if it's a huge bargain but picked up a silver slim PS2 with FFX, FFX2 and FFXII, plus a memory card for £19 from Cash-in-a-dash. Been wanting to play the PS2 ones for years. Still got a minty Gregory's Horror Show sitting around that I got for £1.99 from a charity shop too :) Crappy third-party pad but shouldn't be a problem for RPGs. I have got a PSX pad lying around from emulation - will that work on PS2 games?

FFX is scratched to hell and doesn't work but everything else is peachy :) Even better, found a box of 3 for 99p games in Banardo's and picked up Sims Pets for my daughter, Destroy All Humans and *ahem* Dark Chronicle. The latter is in really good condition too. Must not become a collector. Must not become a collector.

• Upvote 1

FFX is scratched to hell and doesn't work but everything else is peachy :) Even better, found a box of 3 for 99p games in Banardo's and picked up Sims Pets for my daughter, Destroy All Humans and *ahem* Dark Chronicle. The latter is in really good condition too. Must not become a collector. Must not become a collector.

Stick the game disc into a bowl, coat the shiny bit in a good washing up liquid, preferably like Persil. Then boil a kettle and pour inside, leave it for no longer than 15 minutes. Dry off and try it again. This strips away the thin plastic cover the factory puts on and often its that which is scratched beyond playing so give it a go. Works on DVD's, CDs and games.

• Upvote 1

Isn't Dark Chronicle the sequel to Dark Cloud i.e. The better of the two.

My only real recollection of playing it is getting stupidly sidetracked with one of the minigame collectathons. It's worth a bit of a play to soak up that Level 5 art style though.

Stick the game disc into a bowl, coat the shiny bit in a good washing up liquid, preferably like Persil. Then boil a kettle and pour inside, leave it for no longer than 15 minutes. Dry off and try it again. This strips away the thin plastic cover the factory puts on and often its that which is scratched beyond playing so give it a go. Works on DVD's, CDs and games.

you had a dreamcast too then

Dark Chronicle is a bit shit though. The sequel was better. Both suffer from Level 5's games usual problem of far too many ideas and no real focus. Good find but sell it or trade it for something better.

Dark Chronicle is the sequel, and it's a great game!

A normal looking black gamecube and a normal n64 sitting side by side with no controllers. First thing you do is look in the 64 for the ram upgrade red top bit right? Check. Then open up the gamecube to find free game. UFC throwdown check ! Last of all make sure all the plates are on the back of the consoles. Oh wa? What's this shiny sticker on the gamecube. I guess that must be a modem thingy! Just checked it on ebay and realised my shiny sticker one (which actually says it on it) is a broadband adapter. Does anyone know if it actually sells for over £100?! Ebay seems to hope so.

Hey, I got something good today! Anno 1404 collector's edition for £2. Comes in a big wooden chest with sealed game, a poster, artbook, compass and bag of almond seeds. I gave it to my brother as a present as he loves the PC gaming:

pilywWo.jpg

gEgkzV1.jpg

Edit: Forgot to say I found this at my regular car boot fair rather than the new one I tried today. Went back to the regular one rather than having a wasted day after going to the shit one.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Hey, I got something good today! Anno 1404 collector's edition for £2. Comes in a big wooden chest with sealed game, a poster, artbook, compass and bag of almond seeds. I gave it to my brother as a present as he loves the PC gaming:

pilywWo.jpg

gEgkzV1.jpg

Edit: Forgot to say I found this at my regular car boot fair rather than the new one I tried today. Went back to the regular one rather than having a wasted day after going to the shit one.

I love that limited edition, one of the best.

• Upvote 1

Not a boot sale or charity shop find but I picked up a PSP (fat one) off ebay for £9. It was listed as broken but i like a challenge so bought it.

Had no box or charger and the pictures were rubbish. It did have a deep scratch on the screen (about 1cm) but it was on the edge.

Anyway, it arrived the other day and it wouldnt switch on. I found my old charger and charged it up. After an hour i switched it on and the screen has a weird 'shake' to it and going through the menus took an age. There was a game on the memory stick (some Asterix game) but it took about 5 minutes to boot.

Went to the system menu and found that it had CFW on it (5.50 Gen) and for some reason the processor speed had been set to the lowest setting. Reset it and its back to full speed.

Just found out that the UMD drive aint working thought :( but apart from that, its fine. It also came with a 2 gig card. Now it has a ton of emulators on it :)

• Upvote 2

Yeah, PSPs off ebay are notorious. I got a fat for 39 quid, turned out UMD was dead, so seller refunded me 10 pounds. Did same thing you did anyway - used it as emulation machine by installing CFW. Think I've had it on maybe 5 times since I bought it about 5 years ago.

So I'm moving house in a couple of weeks.

I have a sizable collection of consoles and games in the loft which I'll need to sort out, SMS, SNES, MD, PS1, DC, PS2, Saturn stuff, other bits and bobs. I haven't looked at it for years.

Anyway, in the midst of chaos this Sega signage popped out.

There's no way anyone other than a mid-30s male would possibly find this attractive but I think it's wonderful.

post-4367-0-33066800-1410546670_thumb.jp

• Upvote 4

I'm trying to un-attach myself from my stuff. I've given 2/3s of my clothes and books to charity but haven't tackled the games and consoles yet. That sign just gives my heart a little boner every time I see it, so I know I can't let go of unfortunately.

And I forgot about the N64, GC and GB+GBA stuff as well. I have some proper MD and Saturn gems, heavy emphasis on action games and shooters but a lot of other random stuff I became custodian of when my brother left the country.

I'll take some pics next week of anything that worth sharing. Some of this stuff has been packed away for 15 years, I have no idea what some of these boxes contain.

• Upvote 1

Just one carboot today and did alright, I got this little haul for £7.20.

I was quite pleased with the gameboy as it came with batteries & in great condition, and finally getting settlers 7 which I have wanted for a few years now.

post-541-0-62162100-1410689579_thumb.jpg

post-541-0-58406700-1410689613_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

You can link two GCs together using an ethernet cable and play Mario Kart DD (Japanese version) multiplayer.

Pal version works too and kirby air ride, you can link 4 cubes together for 8 player mario kart. I remember trying to explain this to game staff and them looking at me blankly.