IGNORED

All things Thief! Dark Project | Metal Age | Deadly Shadows | ThiAf (outdated mod guide in first post)

Mr. Gerbik

OH GOD

Rumour – First Thief 4 trailer complete

Which big gaming event is the next one? Not E3 is it? There has to be one before that!

Damn I never knew I could be so excited over a rumoured trailer. Just goes to show how special Thief is to me :D

Agreed!!!

Also, I wanted to take the time to thank you for your time/devotion in updating this thread. I pulled down Thief 1-2 over the wkend and stumbled across this thread via Google. I only found out about Thief on GOG due to my W98 rig finally dieing on me (RIP ye olde Barton). I would have never gotten them up and running without this thread gathering all the data in (pretty much) one spot.

As to Thief 4 (I *REFUSE* to call it Thi*f!); it will be a Day 1 purchase asssuming there's no DRM attached. As much as I detest the tyrannical DRM methods, I can promise that I won't hypocritically pirate the game. Ironically, stealing/pirating Thief doesn't do ANYONE any good /IMO

Welcome to the forum, glad you found my guide useful :) Going by Deus Ex: Human Revolution made by the same devs and published buy the same publisher, Thief 4 should be a nice and friendly Steamworks game, i.e. no Ubisoft-like crippling DRM or third-party DRM like tages included. Steamworks is unobtrusive so I won't accept that as an excuse to pirate the game.

Btw: I thought I should update the first post of this thread to include the huge amount of mods and fan-made content for the first two Thief games. GOG posted a Mod Spotlight for the Thief games recently so I used that as the basis and I also included a handy list of handy links. Just go to the first post of this thread (direct link to the first post here for those too lazy to go all the way back themselves) and take a look at the newly included last two sections of the guide. Also, special mention for the T2X fan expansion for Thief 2 which is also mentioned in my guide, as it's supposed to be rather brilliant - and free of course! Go check it out!

• 2 months later...

Thief 3 Deadly Shadows is now on GOG, completing the lovely DRM-free version of the trilogy. The tweaks and tips for widescreen etc in the first post should also work with the GOG version (I will let you all know if it doesn't, but that seems unlikely) but beware that the direct download links for some of the mods need to be updated. I will do that sometime, but if you're anxious to get started asap, let me know and I'll do it sooner. :)

• 1 month later...

There's never been an official ETA. All we know is that it exists and that the THIAF logo is placeholder.

If I had to guess, I'd say early 2013 - surely they would want to release it before the next-gen arrives? Or... WHAT IF... Thief 4 is a next-gen title?????? [scanners.jpg]

• 1 month later...

I'm going to update / fix the Thief modding guide in the first post, I've put it off long enough now. The entire trilogy being on sale today on Steam is as good a reason as any. Note that the guides for Thief Gold and Thief 2: The Metal Age are for the GOG versions, those are the versions I have and which I have tested. I will bump the thread once the guide is up to date again.

Done! I've just updated the guide in the first post to get all the games running properly on modern systems and in widescreen. All the links should work now and I've updated a few mods to easier/better versions where necessary. There's also a fresh new WORKING link to the Deadly Shadows texture pack in there!

Hopefully they'll come up with slightly better storylines for the interlinking missions this time. The missions themselves were nearly always great, but it made me lol when Garret was needing to pull off a quick job so he could pay his landlord when I'd already netted him enough swag to buy a small country in the last round of pilfering.

The storylines are fine, Garret probably lives in an alternate version of central London or something - the price of a small country sounds about right for that crappy place he rents.

Anyway, as I said in the Steam thread:

In the name of research/journalism I felt obliged to purchase Thief Gold and Thief 2: The Metal Age on Steam to be able to test them myself. Good news is that it looks like they're the GOG versions - i.e. they work fine even without doing any additional modding or patching, including the movies, but they obviously do run at a tiny resolution. Even if they aren't the exact same versions as on GOG, they run the same on modern Win7 systems and that's what counts.* I have to leave for work soon but I will try and see if all the extra patches and mods to make it high-res and widescreen also work properly on these Steam version. Flight already said the Tafferpatcher works fine with the Steam version of Thief 2, but I'll double-check in the name of science. :)

So yeah the Steam versions are safe to buy it seems. And a bundle of all three Thief games together is currently 75% off on Steam, costing around the same price as a Whopper menu! So what are you waiting for if you have any interest in stealth games whatsoever? Thief 2 is nothing less than the best stealth game ever made and unlikely to ever be bettered! Go go go

Now that I've actually tested the Steam version and messed around with the user-friendly latest version of the mod, I've rewritten the part about Thief Gold in the modding guide in the first post :)

No doubt I will do the same with the Thief 2 part later tonight once I've gotten around to testing the Steam version of that.

The Steam version of Thief 2 also works flawlessly and I didn't really need to rewrite the Thief 2 section in the guide. I only cleaned it up a bit, fixed some spelling mistakes and such. However! The brand new mod for Thief 3 Deadly Shadows works really well but also works differently from the older mods. The Thief 3 section in the guide was really shit to be honest, I might as well have put just the links to the mods and nothing else. But I've taken the time to properly try out and mess around with these newer mods and ended up completely rewriting the Thief 3 section - it's now a lot more detailed and I've also included some recommended tweaks. As always, see the first post of this thread :)

Edit: also, I'll stop bumping the thread just to say I've updated the guide

• 3 weeks later...

Somebody somewhere should pay me for this

If I had to guess, I'd say early 2013 - surely they would want to release it before the next-gen arrives? Or... WHAT IF... Thief 4 is a next-gen title?????? [scanners.jpg]

Or at least take note because:

Eidos Montreal's Thief 4 has been switched to next-generation consoles.

That's according to the latest issue of OXM UK, which reports in its gossip section that the long-in-development revamp will likely release late next year, when Xbox 720 (codename 'Durango') is expected to launch.

CVG sources indicate the report is accurate.

Link here :coffee:

The best thing about Thief 4 going next-gen is that they won't be held back by tech that is nearly a decade old by now. Hopefully this means not chopping the levels to fuck, hampering the gameplay to no end, because the game has to be able to run on the lowest common denominator.. Assuming that the next-gen is a proper next-gen and not a Wii-like sidestep instead of an upgrade of course.

Anyway, I really want Thief 4 the best it can be, so this rumour of it going next-gen sounds good to me. The only downside is that we won't be hearing or seeing anything of the game for awhile yet - probably not until Microsoft unveils it's next console.

I'll be glad if that is the case, honestly. Not that they couldn't make a fine game on the current machines, but with Dishonored and Hitman: Absolution out in the near future I won't be gagging for stealth-'em-ups so I'm all for having something to look forward to.

Incidentally I think a game like Thief has amongst the most to benefit from new hardware. There's obvious reasons like lighting but it's also quite different to a lot of games in that you spend considerable time observing and manipulating the AI, an area in which there's huge room for improvement.

I'm praying for a glorious update of the Dark Engine. Or, you know, some other engine built from the ground-up with the emphasis on shadows and sound propagation.

(of course, there's not a snowball's chance in hell of them actually using a proprietary engine, but I can dream)

They've had plenty of development time with the PC probably as the lead platform (given their switch to next-gen) so I think things are looking good for Thief 4. Fuck, maybe it will be as good as Thief 2! :omg:

If its not in the dark engine how could it ever come close, no frobbing equals no fun. Go back to searching for the alarus extension heathen!

I already have the bow upgrade, and besides I'm not a heathen for clinging to unrealistic hope :P If Thief 4 is somewhere between 3 and 2 in quality, but closer to 2, I will be very happy indeed, It would also mean that it's the best stealth game since Thief 2.

How much this will impact the quality of the game is open to debate, but at least as a launch title Thief 4 will get healthy sales. Hopefully enough to get Thief 5 in production and just maybe enough to become a defining franchise for that generation.

There was always a danger with this gen that it was going get lost in the crowd.