rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
lewismistreated

Dawn of War 2

This really feels like an RTS evolution. Utterly amazing single player, played it for four hours straight earlier.

I have had the pleasure of playing Co-Op and it's amazing fun, each of you get to control 2 squads which makes micro'ing a breeze. It really is a bit good.

Amazon have sent me another code for the free Sternguard gubbins. It is:

GTWHX-QQ7GD-QVJBQ-WGHPQ-3DTFG

If you use it please post here :wub:

It worked for me. Thanks a lot! :angry:

I dont like the new style single player as much as the first. I want to churn out goddamn units of space marines from a base and stuff. Devestator squads are size five, as are tactical squads usually. How did GW let daft wee squads of 3 end up in this game. :wub:

If you knew your 40K (:wub:) you'd realise that the Codex Astartes is only a guide, not an inflexible rule, and that some chapters don't abide by it at all. Also, lone space marines sometimes get sent off on missions! The squad sizes are fine.

On another note this had better fucking arrive in the morning.

Had a brief bit of time with this last night and first impressions are excellent, I'm totally loving the fresh feeling of having a consistent bunch of characters that I'm building along the way, rather than churning out wave after wave of faceless units. It's an interesting direction for this particular part of the RTS genre to move into.

There's another exciting new game you might like then, called Warcraft 3 :(

It doesn't feel *that* different from Halo Wars either.

But it's closer to something like Dungeon Siege with Space Marines.

Dammit! Just spent half an hour clearing Tyranid hives and hunting a Lictor on Meridian in an optional mission, then the BASTARD thing killed all my squads in the space of about 10 seconds and I failed. With no mid-mission save, that really hurt.

The campaign is great, though. Lots of little atmospheric touches, like the news feed on the advancing stages of the Tyranid infestation, or the scientific names for the little buggers.

Dammit! Just spent half an hour clearing Tyranid hives and hunting a Lictor on Meridian in an optional mission, then the BASTARD thing killed all my squads in the space of about 10 seconds and I failed. With no mid-mission save, that really hurt.

The campaign is great, though. Lots of little atmospheric touches, like the news feed on the advancing stages of the Tyranid infestation, or the scientific names for the little buggers.

Like the Carnifex's "ohshitohshit-it'sgonnastabmeinthearseicus"

Not a happy bunny, been away for a couple of days and i've come home and i have 2 e-mails saying my password and e-mail add for my steam account has been changed. Was looking forward to playing this but it looks as if my steam account has been hacked as friends have told me it says i logged on yesterday last when i was away.

Not a happy bunny, been away for a couple of days and i've come home and i have 2 e-mails saying my password and e-mail add for my steam account has been changed. Was looking forward to playing this but it looks as if my steam account has been hacked as friends have told me it says i logged on yesterday last when i was away.

Gutted, get on to steam, they are usually really good at sorting things out.

After trying to log into my Live account for a few hours last night I gave up and just played using an offline profile. By that time it was 3am so I only did the first two missions, so far so good though.

Yeah i left a question on my support account, not expecting much of an answer before Monday although speaking to a few people tonight it seems a lot more common than i would have thought.

I really hope any of THQ's new pc games don't use GFWL, cant stand the interface.

I'm hoping all PC games start using it and by the looks of it it seems to be becoming a Steam / GFWL double act which is brilliant. Best of both worlds.

Anyone else playing through the campaign on Primarch difficulty? It seems rather easy until you get to the bosses and then it's a case of how fast you can co-ordinate your brain and fingers to avoid the rushing boss, dodge grenades, revive squads etc. A tad hectic if you will. I'm pretty sure that mode was what co-op was made for. Is is possible to start a new campaign and keep the old one going? I'd like to start one which I use just for co-op.

I'm hoping all PC games start using it and by the looks of it it seems to be becoming a Steam / GFWL double act which is brilliant. Best of both worlds.

Anyone else playing through the campaign on Primarch difficulty? It seems rather easy until you get to the bosses and then it's a case of how fast you can co-ordinate your brain and fingers to avoid the rushing boss, dodge grenades, revive squads etc. A tad hectic if you will. I'm pretty sure that mode was what co-op was made for. Is is possible to start a new campaign and keep the old one going? I'd like to start one which I use just for co-op.

Nah, I'm playing on whatever the normal one is. The bosses are hard as nails anyway.

GFWL is evil. I discovered that if you can't log in, you can't play - there's no such thing as an offline profile (at least, if your profile's also your Xbox profile). This seems a bit rubbish, particularly since I could log in through the windows app.

I take back all my whines. This game is actually better than Dawn of War (except Winter Assault) and the limited squad size doesnt impact on it too much. Just fought the Eldar walker. Painful fight.

GFWL is evil. I discovered that if you can't log in, you can't play - there's no such thing as an offline profile (at least, if your profile's also your Xbox profile). This seems a bit rubbish, particularly since I could log in through the windows app.

That's pretty terrible, what is it with PC games these days? So that means even if you register it on Steam, you can't use it offline after the fact? Surely not. Games like Gears of War and Halo 2 just brought up a warning saying that achievements would not be unlocked unless connected to Live. So I'm not sure who's enforcing this rule as it's clearly not mandatory for GFWL.

No ability to set a push to talk button in the game for voice chat? The codec it uses is fuckin awful.

It's good to talk! In this game you should be constantly talking anyway, if you're being quiet you're letting your team down. I think this must be a feature left in from the 360 version of Live where everyone has a mute button on the controller or on the headset. Don't most PC headsets also have mute buttons? I know mine has an in-line volume control. Also what program have you used that has better voice quality whilst running a PC game? A genuine question as everything I've tried is worse quality or too damaging on game performance. I'd resorted to running skype on my mobile phone and using a hands free kit before GFWL came along.

I'm currently enjoying the luxuries of the Vista 32-bit memory dump error. Apparently it can also corrupt your save file. Really annoying because I'm loving the game.

It's good to talk! In this game you should be constantly talking anyway, if you're being quiet you're letting your team down. I think this must be a feature left in from the 360 version of Live where everyone has a mute button on the controller or on the headset. Don't most PC headsets also have mute buttons? I know mine has an in-line volume control.

99% of the time I play DoW2 I'm also in ventrilo/mumble. What I'd do in any other game is bind mouse4 to vent and mouse5 to ingame, so I can chat to both groups of people, but in DoW2 I'm forced to turn ingame chat off. And I had router problems today so I couldn't even play singleplayer campaign thanks to GFWL :)

It's good to talk! In this game you should be constantly talking anyway, if you're being quiet you're letting your team down. I think this must be a feature left in from the 360 version of Live where everyone has a mute button on the controller or on the headset. Don't most PC headsets also have mute buttons? I know mine has an in-line volume control.

It is good to talk, but I do not need to hear what the wife wants you to do with the washing or that you kids escaped from the dungeon in the basement again, it's a simple function that even the most shite PC software offers. If MS can't even copy the best out there, there isn't much hope.

99% of the time I play DoW2 I'm also in ventrilo/mumble. What I'd do in any other game is bind mouse4 to vent and mouse5 to ingame, so I can chat to both groups of people, but in DoW2 I'm forced to turn ingame chat off. And I had router problems today so I couldn't even play singleplayer campaign thanks to GFWL :)

In another chat while playing multiplayer! Remind me not to go on your team. Chatting with one group of people not good enough for ya? Although I'll assume you've got the ingame chat coming out of your speakers so you're aware of the battle situation and I'm just winding you up.

It is good to talk, but I do not need to hear what the wife wants you to do with the washing or that you kids escaped from the dungeon in the basement again, it's a simple function that even the most shite PC software offers. If MS can't even copy the best out there, there isn't much hope.

So as you ignored it I take it that most PC headsets don't feature in-line controls. That's weird as even the cheap ones I've had in the past did. I would say that's a user issue, with them not self muting. I'm not against a push to talk option, I wouldn't use it though and I doubt most others would either. When your hands are already all over the keyboard using powers you don't want to be pushing another one just to tell your team mate they're about to get flanked. Like I said before, what is the best? As far as I've seen for quality against performance, this is the best. That and if I'm playing campaign I can also chat to my buddy playing Street Fighter IV.

Bob Hoskins would be proud.

It's the 360 connection that has me most excited as it could possibly get more people into PC games. Sure it may just be a select few but if just a few PC gamer friends see you playing something they haven't had exposure to a lot and enquire about it, then this is a good thing. It's almost advertising PC gaming to the console crowd.

Although I'm not saying it's perfect, it needs to come on some to catch up to 360 standard but it's a darn sight better than the first attempt at Live on a PC and yes it's better than what was currently out there. I know I'll never convince the hardcore PC games, even though I'm one, as most of you seem to have made your mind up when it was announced to be a GFWL game that it would be shit. It's brilliant, it's easy, it works (well apart from offline but I still say that's a Relic problem not GFWL as other games do not require this). Besides it wouldn't be a PC game if everything was working properly now would it! It's shit that you have to be online to play just like it's shit that you have to be online to even install it but this is the way PC gaming seems to be going. Everyone seemed fine with being online to install it when I got pissed off, this is just the next step from that and you all deserve it. WOO HA HA HA HA HA.

Let's get back to talking about the game!

And I had router problems today so I couldn't even play singleplayer campaign thanks to GFWL :)

badzappa.jpg

Am I missing something here? I thought you guys were saying you couldn't play if you aren't connected to the GFWL servers but I disconnected my computer from the network and could log in fine and play offline. Doesn't even come up and say you can't get achievements like in the older games. Am I'm being really dense here and missing something obvious.