rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Puck

Dead Island

Currently playing this - slightly saddened by previous posts that talk about repetitive stuff.

I'm very much enjoying this for its viscerality - a quest recently gave me a 'Big Splitting Axe' and boy does it split. Takes forever to actually swing the thing, but when it hits someone that someone stays hit.

There doesn't seem to be a stat for the reach of the weapon though - it would be pretty bloody useful.

No doubt the repetition will eventually get to me but right now, I'm having a blast playing this on the PC with a pad. It plays a lot slicker than the janky-ass gameplay footage I'd watched prior to picking it up led me to believe and the combat feels brutal. Very atmospheric and I love the drop in/drop out co-op with randoms popping into my world to help out.

Worst thing so far though is, once again, a developer not really thinking when they added invert Y axis into the game. Analog combat is great but why the hell does inverting my Y axis to look also invert the way my arms swing about! Shame no one has produced a mod to remedy that because I doubt Techland ever will. I'm sorta used to it now but still.

Anyone wants to hit me up in co-op, just add me on steam (steam name in sig)

I haven't played this in ages. As others have pointed out, I found it too repetitive and got bored - but only after something daft like 30 hours, so that's still damn good going! I mostly found it fun for those hours.

I'm fearing that.

4 hours in and am in love. Tense but very enjoyable. The characters and voice acting suck a bit but the constent fear of the undead is keeping me on edge throughout the game. There's nothing worse than losing your car and having to walk back to base.

How did edge give this a 3? I mean had they given it a 5 i'd have thought "fare enough, i can see why someone might dislike it" but a 3 means the majority of people would hate it, right? I can't see that being the case at all.

It's just so mediocre. Everything about it is so po-faced and blah and 'ok'. It doesn't excel in anything, and I think the only reason I played it as long as I did was because it ticked that "Talk to A, go to B, do C, go back to A, REWARD!" box that made me play woW for 6 years. It's not a 3, that's juse Edge being Edge.

It's just so mediocre. Everything about it is so po-faced and blah and 'ok'. It doesn't excel in anything, and I think the only reason I played it as long as I did was because it ticked that "Talk to A, go to B, do C, go back to A, REWARD!" box that made me play woW for 6 years. It's not a 3, that's juse Edge being Edge.

See its the tension that I think it does well. Normal zombies can rip you apart if your not careful and you never feel safe outside the 'safe zones'. Even in a car I'm worried about rolling it.

I'm seriously loving it so far.

I've got to say I really really enjoyed playing this - sure it's one note enjoyment, but it's a good note. I can understand if people get bored of it but in the end what annoyed me was not having any truly epic weapons. Even things like my treasured Lethal Big Universal Axe, Gabriel's Sledgehammer and Zed's Demise weren't really AMAZING. Mind you, I never did use half of the mods.

In Borderlands you'd end up with a gun that fired three billion bullets per minute, one in three of which set the enemy on fire.

See its the tension that I think it does well. Normal zombies can rip you apart if your not careful and you never feel safe outside the 'safe zones'. Even in a car I'm worried about rolling it.

I'm seriously loving it so far.

That's exactly it. No doubt the nuts and bolts are mostly run of the mill*, but they are part of a machine that just pumps out pure tension.

*The most important of these is obviously the combat. The FP fighting system implemented on a pad is punishing, rewarding and just great fun.

No doubt the game has it's faults, but it way more than makes up for them.

And of course, you have to play as Xian to take the tension tension levels right up. She's weak and feeble so you cannot afford to make any mistakes. Yet slicing zombies up with her as the 'sharps' expert is pure joy.

Once I'd completed the game as Xian, I tried replaying it as 'Tank' Sam B, but found it quite boring as I was just able to throw caution to the wind and charge on through with fewer concerns when it came to survival.

Play as Xian.

I'm totally playing as Xian which is weird as for some reason (i think i'm a gay) i always play as men when given the choice.

Big sexy men.

I would disagree with that and say it absolutely excels in first person melee combat. It's something that's rare enough in first person games in general but to have Techland have a go at it and absolutely nail it first time was incredible. The game has its flaws no doubt but it absolutely nails the combat and the intenseness of fighting zombies with melee objects etc. Hell I'd say it's basically a melee version of Borderlands in a big way. The simple fetch quests along with a lot of ass kicking, simple but very satisfying. It's without a doubt something that can be improved upon and I'll be there day one for the sequel.

• Upvote 4

Thing is it doesn't have a fraction of the charm and humour Borderlands does.

Can't agree with you on your assessment of Dead Island, but on the strength of your comments I've just ordered Borderlands GOTY edition from Play.com.

If it surpasses the fun I had with Dead Island then I'll be most grateful to you.

Thing is it doesn't have a fraction of the charm and humour Borderlands does.

This is true and I certainly can't argue with that but gameplay is the most important thing to me which Dead Island thankfully gets right :) If anything I'd say Dead Island is a much more fun game to actually play but well that's just me (and I do have a thing about first person melee combat)

Can't agree with you on your assessment of Dead Island, but on the strength of your comments I've just ordered Borderlands GOTY edition from Play.com.

If it surpasses the fun I had with Dead Island then I'll be most grateful to you.

Borderlands is a great game and well worth playing. It has its faults such as the gunplay not being as good as it could be and a lot of 'different' guns being essentially the same but its addictive and before you know it you'll be running to the nearest crate shouting PHAT LOOOOOOOTS! :D

That depends on your point of view. I adore Borderlands and did most of it in single player but some people think you need 2 or more to get the most out of it. I'm sure there's people around here more than happy to play it again in co-op though.

I understand why people like this game, and to a degree I enjoyed it but the reason I get disappointed in games like this is the unfulfilled potential the game has. It could have been amazing, but I just found it OK.

Such a buggy game locked up my 360 console twice in 10 minutes on Monday

Fucking runners. Does this usually dispatch waves of them at you when doing subquests?

I don't know why I ever stopped playing this game. I don't like hard games usually but this had me addicted for a while. Trying to survive was an achievement in itself and very rewarding. It's not unusual to get ganked by a pack of zombies but it had me coming back for more.

I feel like I'm going against the spirit of tIe game, but I can't help but kick any random players that have joined me as soon as I notice them. I hate the thought of someone pinching a quest from me.

Can't you turn randoms joining off?

There's just something about this. I can see that the combat is repetitive smack-and-backpedal stuff, the jump kicking for crowd control is comical and there's not really much to do outside of the basic missions, but dat setting :wub: - the tension just never seems to go away. It still feels like I'm going on a mission every time I leave a safe base, even if it's just for a recce, trying to preserve my weapons as best I can. I try to save up unexplored sections of the map to keep them fresh the first time a mission sends me there.

It's class how you draw mobs of zombies to you every time you use guns in the open. The first time I shot at the gun-toting hoods who've barricaded up the alleyways around themselves near the north of the city, I was greeted with the sounds of a pack of infected screaming around the corner behind me. Bricks were shat, but it would be amazing if there were proper persistent packs instead of the small, respawning mobs you get.

It feels like the city would be much more fun with more than one person, but I've not seen one other player in the whole time I've been playing.

Ye gods this is fucking good.

Popped on for a quick go at 12, took me a full hour to get used to the tension again (doesn't help that I started out walking around the perimeter of the quarantined area - holy fuck! Prediction: the game is going to make me go in there at some stage :omg: ) and now it's full light outside and I'm still yet to do a single main mission in the city. Used the putting up posters mission as a way to explore the city more and found more bands of survivors and whatnot. I love that the weapons have a roguelikey quality in their naming and stats - in addition to my go-to combination of shock blades and maces for knocking back, I now have a truly kickarse purple military machete which just hacks off limbs left right and centre. Just before finishing tonight, I got my first 2-handed axe (first > 1,000 damage weapon too) and my first shotgun. Bring it on, zedheads.

If THE Zombie Game ever gets made, I'll clearly be to chicken to play it. Imagine this with hundreds, thousands of zombies instead and you're the one trying to set up the barricades you encounter in this to keep them out, then having to sneak out to scavenge for supplies. Bricks will be shat.

• Upvote 2

Gave this a go yesterday; I don't normally judge games from the first hour, but I wasn't terribly impressed. Does it improve?

If the atmosphere and exploration on its own doesn't grab you, it'll probably be hard to overlook the shonky bits. The missions are mostly fetch quests, but the zombies level up alongside you, so they never really get "safe," although you do get some more kickass weapons as you go along.

Yet to start properly playing it yet, but even from a quick 10 minute test, it certainly has atmosphere by the bucket-load. Not entirely sure I like any of the characters I can choose from, but it's probably not a problem!

• Upvote 1

The atmosphere does seem great, certainly, but you're right in that the quests are uninspiring. I'd almost prefer the game not to have them; just to have an open ended objective ("escape") and stuff like day/night/weather cycles, and the need to eat/drink to survive.

• Upvote 1