IGNORED

Update thy 360 Dashboard

mr_rmg

The Youtube app is bloody fantastic. I have linked my Youtube accounts and now have access to my playlists and subscriptions.

I voice control most of it and the whole thing is a delight to use moreso if you have a kinect although search does not allow voice atm. Muzu is great as well i loved Vidzone on the PS3 but it was confusing and unwieldy this is nice to use and of course voice controlling everything is making me love using these things.

Hope the 4OD app goes up this week. After the terrible PS3 one lets hope channel 4 have put some effort in this time.

You're lucky: We Dutchies don't have or get Indie Games, Youtube, Lovefilm nor Netflix. We only have Zune.

Question: Where the hell do I find my installed full Xbox 360 games in this new dashboard skin? You used to be able to view a list of them, now I can't find it anywhere (apart from in the HDD memory section).

Question: Where the hell do I find my installed full Xbox 360 games in this new dashboard skin? You used to be able to view a list of them, now I can't find it anywhere (apart from in the HDD memory section).

I don't think you can. Only way to see them is to choose to view All.

Amazingly bad design.

I wouldn't expect Netflix to have a better selection than Lovefilm, the reason their unlimited streaming selection is so paltry is because of specific UK licensing issues. No doubt Murdoch throws a shitfit at the thought of people getting new films for £5 a month when he can currently charge through the roof for movie channels on Sky.

Sky movies is like £7.50 a month or something, i get movies in hd 5.1 and a better on demand selection than that of lovefilm. Sky is a rip off for alot of things but there movie offerings are pretty damn good for the price.

According to Sky's website the movie package is £16 per month (and you can't buy it freestanding, so that's in addition to whatever base package you buy, the cheapest of which is £20).

When i cancel movies from mine all i save is £7.50-8 as ive done it in the past year or so. I guess its because i have sky sports meaning movies isnt my only premium channel.

Youtube is up for beta users, i just downloaded it (took an age) and its basically the same layout as all the other apps and seems very well done. You can browse the most watched, recommended etc, link to your account to watch all your subscriptions, watch later etc and it allows you to view description, like a video etc (no comments). Have not tried bing search but if it ties in as well as the other apps then it could be very handy.

Overall impressed, is it wrong to kinect just to enable to ultimate wife friendly catch up tv video box?

Also not tried searching for any TV show content (4OD, Demand five etc, but expect these to be separated off as per other youtube apps)

Love film selection has a few good titles but there are a max of 50 in each genre and when Twighlight eclipse shows up in Horror, scifi AND drama you know something's a bit wrong.

There are actually loads of films 'hidden' in the app. For some reason the Genre listings are restricted to a max of 50 in each sub-category but there are a lot more that don't appear inside that top 50. If you go to the A-Z listing of each you see the full selections, Action/Adventure A-B has 50 alone and C-D another 49. Sadly there is no option to see the full selection in one go so unless someone with a lot of time goes through each section we won't know how many there are. And to make it even more confusing some of the A-Z listings are wrong. Bullet in the Head for example shows up in Action/Adventure C-D, next to The Killer.

I think Netflix will also run into the same problem. Its library in the States is built on competing TV network film channels that don't have monopoly power in the way Sky does to negotiate prohibitive exclusivity deals, and TV network shows that they massively overpaid for. Sky has exclusive access to pretty much every film that comes out in the UK, unless Lovefilm charge a fee for it, and UK TV companies all have their own Online streaming services for shows. Peep Show is on Lovefilms PC service, but it's fairly pointless since you can just watch it on 4OD after all. And the big American shows Netflix is famous for are all signed up by various channels - usually Sky - that they are building their services around. Since Amazon owns Lovefilm I think it may have the best chance of replicating Netflix's service, but even then Sky's power and UK market fragmentation will probably mean it never really gets close.

Careful - I just did this (after getting my login fixed) and noticed that I'm now on a 14 day trial, not 30.

I emailed Lovefilm telling them about this and they said:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Your accounts page is reflecting as if you are in 14 days free trial due

to a technical glitch, but as you can see the first billing date on your

account is still 09/12/2011, please be assured that you will not be

charged until this date and you are still under 30 days free trial.

I hope this information helps and if you should have any queries please

do let us know.

I'm finding that using the iPad loveFilm app to decide to what to watch before losing it on the 360 offers a much better user experience overall.

Whih is kinda fucking stupid. Great apps though, cancelling my Blockbuster sub as soon as. This streaming service now outweighs the exclusives they have.

Played with the youtube app a bit more last night and its clearly not ready for prime time, it stopped loading thumbnails and videos several times and booted me back to the dash once. However it is well laid out and handy for watching subscription or watch later videos on the big screen.

Also not sure what resolution it defaults to but every video looks nice.

Looking for a quick answer here. I want to show a mate battlefield and MW3, if I upload my saves to cloud do I also need to stick my gamer profile on a stick or is it all simpler than that.

edit : It's okay I found it.

With Roaming Profile you don't even need to put your profile on a stick. It is similar to logging into a Windows Live Mail (Hotmail) account now. Really handy.

Echoing the search complaints about Lovefilm. Limiting it to 50 titles in each section seems to break the more popular sections, missing tons of good films. Hope they fix it. Its not perfect and the choice is'nt amazing but its cheap and it has some quite good quirky choices in there.

Youtube I haven't tested much but I could not find a search function at all. Which was annoying. Do I have to use the Bing search on the dash ? seems rather daft if so.

Muzu is a ton of fun though. Loads of good music videos to watch.

MSN Video Player has some decent full length TV shows in it as well. I saw Peep Show, Top Gear etc in there.

Enjoying messing with these apps tbh.

I'm on the £9.99 a month, 2 discs at home, unlimited streaming with Lovefilm. Streaming is something I don't really do on a PC, but now it's on the 360, I can see me using it a lot. Already watched Dead Snow, which played without a hitch. The 2 disc option means I can still get any of the big films as well through the post.

And there is indeed a surprising amount of films buried in the app, if you look deeper. Spotted a couple of Dario Argento films I'd like to watch next.