IGNORED

Update thy 360 Dashboard

mr_rmg

Updated and it's a nice improvement on the previous dash.

Are you all just a bit grumpy today lads?? ;)

You've not tried to find anything yet, have you?

I'll admit, it looks nice. But it's barely functional.

Of course it's intentional. They have one version of the dashboard for the entire market. Unfortunately we still live in the world with region based content licenses. So while the US dashboard it looks normal, with a nice selection of apps. Those places without a large selection of streaming services it just looks empty.

2012? I thought 4oD, youtube and whatever the Channel 5 catch up were this year.

EDIT - Yes I as right. Before the end of the year the UK App Marketplace will have

4 on Demand

Blinkbox)

Crackle

Dailymotion

Demand 5

MSN

MUZU.TV

Screenrush

VEVO

YouTube

Ah ok I read an interview with one of their bods who said the rest were next year, but it looks like that's only whatever BBC content they end up agreeing on.

The late release of those apps isn't intentional though, they will have wanted to have them all ready for Dec 6th.

What does the 360 Twitter thing do? Like is it just a basic Twitter client, or does it tweet when you get achievements, or something?

Also, just noticed the beacons thing alerts your Facebook friends to your status on Live, or something <_< I hope this isn't the start of them practically replacing Xbox live friend functionality with just using people's Facebook details.

They could have put any shit they wanted all over the place if they had just made the first thing you see a list of games on your hard drive, starting with the disc in the tray. Like the PS3. Five years down the line, the XMB has had minimal interface changes and yet it's still the best one for just launching games, which is all I really want it to be good at.

Maybe I'm missing something here? When my PS3 starts, it launches to the XMB with ads on the right, and no mention of what game is in the drive. I have to click left and then down twice to see what game is in the drive.

This new dash shows what game I have in my drive right there at the start.

Don't get me wrong, the rest of it is a fucking mess. But I can see my game in the drive right there, unlike with my PS3 - and that is what I usually am most interested in.

Why is a Sonic CD *video* listed as a new game release?

Yes, this is annoying. I don't mind so much going through a few extra menus but when I get there I do expect to see the correct things and it seems now there is no way of showing just the new XBLA releases.

The word Bing is just as annoying as the word apps. Xbox live gold is free this weekend to any silver members so you can make use of all these free apps like Youtube and Facebook - two things I can get already for free on my PC.

I will use iplayer if it's as good and as extensive as the BBC version - I hope it isn't what I have on my virgin set-top box though as that only lets me watch the last seven days. But having iplayer isn't part of this new update, it's just an added bit of content.

I preferred the old dash but I suppose I'll get used to this new one. I find it odd that games isn't the first thing you see.

So, once Live came back to play, did the update, wandered round, and it's managed to raise ire already. Go Microsoft!

Scrolled around and it arrived at the search, and the console suggested I shout "Xbox, Bing Rihanna" at it. Which, aside from the obvious "is that a euphamism?", made me ask: "Hey Microsoft: "Google" became a verb on its own - Vox Pop coined it, William Gibson spotted the trend and got it into Pattern Recognition, so it's right up there with "cyberspace" as a real live dictionary-legitimate word.

Using Kinect to try to coin "Bing" as a verb? Cheap move, and I'm not playing. Does saying "Xbox: Search for..." at kinect work, or are MS really insisting on using search their way?

ttfn

Fred

Lol, who negged my description of the companion app? Don't care about the neg (obviously as this post will just attract more*) but I would just love to know the reason. Never been negged for describing something before

*and if I wanted some positives I'd only need to write a bunch of expletives condemning the dashboard.

Maybe I'm missing something here? When my PS3 starts, it launches to the XMB with ads on the right, and no mention of what game is in the drive. I have to click left and then down twice to see what game is in the drive.

That's strange, my PS3 always launches to the game section of the XMB with whichever game is in the drive highlighted. One button press and I'm in. I've never had it launch and stay on the ads part.

Not bothered about the game marketplace being 4 clicks of rb but agree with the browsing experience being bad.

I wonder why they never integrated the Destination Arcade software into the dashboard. Being able to browse via a whole bunch of categories, including price, was really nice.

As has been previously mentioned, this is only better if you know what you're after or for the sale stuff which is now much better presented.

So, once Live came back to play, did the update, wandered round, and it's managed to raise ire already. Go Microsoft!

Scrolled around and it arrived at the search, and the console suggested I shout "Xbox, Bing Rihanna" at it. Which, aside from the obvious "is that a euphamism?", made me ask: "Hey Microsoft: "Google" became a verb on its own - Vox Pop coined it, William Gibson spotted the trend and got it into Pattern Recognition, so it's right up there with "cyberspace" as a real live dictionary-legitimate word.

Using Kinect to try to coin "Bing" as a verb? Cheap move, and I'm not playing. Does saying "Xbox: Search for..." at kinect work, or are MS really insisting on using search their way?

ttfn

Fred

Doubt it. It seemed to work quite well at the voice recognition stuff though - particularly since that's the one thing which can't predict in advance what you're going to ask for to a set of ten or so options.

I'm impressed with the new dash tbh, didn't realise the UK was getting free streaming music videos as part of the Zune sub, as its working for me. Looking forward to checking out the Xbox companion app for wp7 too when it decides to start working =/

This new dash shows what game I have in my drive right there at the start.

Don't get me wrong, the rest of it is a fucking mess. But I can see my game in the drive right there, unlike with my PS3 - and that is what I usually am most interested in.

I just tested this out - its because you have 'What's New?' enabled under system settings. Turn that off.

Another thing a lot of people seem to not know about is that you can add games to folders to organise them. It's pretty handy.

I think the idea is good but the implementation sloppy. Allowing users to customise the order of the tabs along the top and add shortcuts would have been a huge improvement, instead of having to press about seven or eight buttons to buy an XBLA game. It's more or less a crippled version of a smartphone/tablet interface.

I'm moderately happy with Lovefilm being added, though.

I just tested this out - its because you have 'What's New?' enabled under system settings. Turn that off.

Another thing a lot of people seem to not know about is that you can add games to folders to organise them. It's pretty handy.

Ah very useful, I haven't ever noticed the whats new option before (and this is my second PS3). I'll be changing that first chance I get.

The windows Media Integration seems allot better..

Is it? I tried once earlier and I couldn't connect to my Win7 PC with windows media center on it at all using the windows media center extender code jobby. I can see the network and stream stuff using the My Videos thing but can't get WMC to work for toffee.

It may seem minor, but the most annoying thing to me is that Games is the sixth category along on the tabs. The sixth category along on the frontend of my games console. I couldn't give a flying fuck about ANY of the other stuff on the 360, I bought it to play videogames.

Aside from that, the whole thing is a convoluted mess.

The day this kind of shit starts appearing on the PS3 is the day I set fire to these consoles in the garden and just snuggle up to my PC. I think I can live without Geometry Wars 2 by now :unsure:

Ah very useful, I haven't ever noticed the whats new option before (and this is my second PS3). I'll be changing that first chance I get.

I can't remember when it appeared, I don't think it was enabled by default in an update, maybe it's just the default on new consoles.

If only Microsoft made all the extra shit an option the same way Sony does. The fact that they don't and I'm paying an annual fee to see all this bullshit is incredible.