Sign in to follow this  
harbey

Sega Rally Weekly Time Trial - MK2

Carrying on from where Boozy left off...

Its the Sega Rally Time Trial...

Rules

Challenges run from Monday to Sunday and you have until midnight on the Sunday to post your time.

Post your Name, the Time, Transmission AT or MT and tyre choice (eg Harbey - 3:59.90 - MT - Road)

You must use the car specified

You can use Manual or Automatic gears

You can use off-road or road tyres

Be honest

Have fun.

Weekly Challenge 07/04/2008

Track - Arctic 3

Car - Audio Quatttro A2 (Masters)

Tyres - Any

Please send me a friends request so I can pull all the times together from the in game leaderboards

Nice one Harbey.

Hopefully find time to give this (and the PGR4 time trial) a go this week.

Too many games, too little time....

Yeah I know! I must have a go at PGR this week. I feel guilty about not going back to Forza or Dirt too. Then there's Grid on the horizon.

We'll see how this goes - I doubt it will be that popular but so long as there are 3 - 4 of us it should be worth while.

I can finally get in on this now. ^_^

Not a track I'm very familiar with, managed to get under 4mins after some scrabbling about in the ditch.

Grumbler - 3:58.25 - MT - Road

GT: RaffaChicken

Oh, hey. I thought I was doing really well here - I was getting loads of 'faster than' times appearing at the top of my screen.

Then I rolled over the line in 4:18.40 and realised I'd been attacking Preacher's times for some reason, sticking in a best lap of 1:23.91.

So, umm, a bit of work to do then ^_^

Out of interest, what benefit are you guys getting from using Manual gears? I just can't cope with them on this game at all despite using manual on other games for about a year now and having no problems.

[edit] Umm, er

strawdonkey - 4:18.40 - AT - Off-Road

Out of interest, what benefit are you guys getting from using Manual gears? I just can't cope with them on this game at all despite using manual on other games for about a year now and having no problems.

There are quite a few tracks on this where staying in a higher gear around a corner is quicker than changing down, despite dropping your rev's (I think anyway). Oh, and I feel grown up too ^_^

You might want to give the Road Tyres a go for this track.

If the other tracks in this game are as good as this one then it's amazing. This track is sooo technical, the sheer variety of surfaces and corner combinations is amazing.

Spent ages trying to get my head back into Sega Rally style driving, not sure if it's just the car but I'm really struggling with the hairpin and the medium corners before both tunnels, I'm almost there though, think it's my entry speeds from the previous corners causing problems.

CheekoRobbins - 3.58.16 - AT - Road

On my last effort I totally fucked up the second lap so on the third I decided I was going to try just letting go of the accelerator and throwing the car into corners instead of using the brake and did a lap of 1:16.42 so I'd say I can pull another 2-3seconds off that total time.

If the other tracks in this game are as good as this one then it's amazing. This track is sooo technical, the sheer variety of surfaces and corner combinations is amazing.

Spent ages trying to get my head back into Sega Rally style driving, not sure if it's just the car but I'm really struggling with the hairpin and the medium corners before both tunnels, I'm almost there though, think it's my entry speeds from the previous corners causing problems.

CheekoRobbins - 3.58.16 - AT - Road

On my last effort I totally fucked up the second lap so on the third I decided I was going to try just letting go of the accelerator and throwing the car into corners instead of using the brake and did a lap of 1:16.42 so I'd say I can pull another 2-3seconds off that total time.

Yeah I love this track for the variety too. I think Sega Rally can easily be dismissed as a shallow arcade racer, but doing the TT stuff really makes you appreciate it.

A 1:16 lap is pretty fookin spectacular.

I've been PGRing a bit this week, so must get back into rally mode.

Let the track bed itself into my mind overnight, came back to it and aimed for 3 clean laps which I hadn't managed, braking a bit on the harder ones to ensure a clean line and decent exit speed:-

CheekoRobbins - 3.56.90 - AT - Road

Laps:

1 - 1:21.89

2 - 1:16.97

3 - 1:18.02

It's exactly the same experience I had with the demo, for a while I thought I wasn't going to beat your time Harbey, but then it just clicked and now the times are tumbling.

Grumbler - 3:53.61 - MT - Road

:lol:

Bloody 'ell! Looks like Step's going to have some competition.

Did this time get you in the top 100 so we can see your ghost?

I gave up on manual ouside of the first class of cars, it doesn't seem to make that much a difference anyway and with the higher powered cars it's just too much to do.

Grumbler - 3:53.61 - MT - Road

The thread just came alive! Good work indeed. Lap times please :lol:

I'm guessing that isn't in the top 100 though as others use faster cars, top time is about 3:35 I think.

Did this time get you in the top 100 so we can see your ghost?

I don't think so, probably need a faster (and much more difficult to drive) car.

Lap times please

I actually don't know how to see them once the race is finished. I know the fastest was 1:16 something so not far off your best.

EDIT:

Ah, it cycles through the lap times.

I've been trying to beat my time but keep doing dodgy laps. I did one in 1:13 and then proceeded to ruin the next lap.

How are you doing the the hairpin and the tight, snowy corner into the first tunnel, are you braking beforehand or just easing off and throwing the car in?

I just ease off a bit, shift down to 5th and throw it around as tightly as I can. I still hit the side most of the time.

I think the bits I'm best at are the sets of smaller bends.

What viewpoint is everyone using? I'm bonnet view.

I just ease off a bit, shift down to 5th and throw it around as tightly as I can. I still hit the side most of the time.

I think the bits I'm best at are the sets of smaller bends.

What viewpoint is everyone using? I'm bonnet view.

Bonnet or bumper - I switch betwen the two depending on what game I was playing last (PGR or Forza).

Had another crack at this tonight (using AT) but couldn't beat my time.

Turns out manual is much faster, all you need once you're upto speed is 5th gear for any medium or sharper corners and 6th for the rest.

First go with manual turned on

CheekoRobbins - 3:55.67 - MT - Road

Hot stuff.

I've just being trying to beat it but it hasn't been going well. I'm having one of those sessions where the more you practise the worse you get. I got ahead of you for the whole first lap early on (then crashed and ruined it all), but now you seem to be overtaking me on all the straights!

I can consistently get past you on the corner before the first tunnel, but you've totally nailed the corner before the second tunnel. I always get really bogged down there, so while I'm wading through snow in 5th gear trying to get up to speed again you always whiz past me. ;)

Tell your friends -

Sega Rally £9 at simplygames.com

Wow, will do!

It's so hard to put three good laps together isn't it.

The corner before the second tunnel at the end of the set of corners that you practically straightline I almost go to veer left, shift down to 5th and then ease off the accelerator to about half and then really throw the car into the corner to the point where you think you've gone too far and oyu'll lose loads of speed but boot your foot down and you can just get out of it it can be literally hit or miss whether you touch the left wall or not.

Not sure what the rules are for being able to upload a ghost, it just started asking me below 3:50 so hopefully you can get one up soon and I can see how you're doing the one before the first tunnel, I've tried a few different techniques but it's a tough one.

After a fairly long session I'm down to 3:56.57 - MT - Road.

Having Cheeko's ghost is a real help, but it's usually out of sight by the 2nd lap :lol:

The one place I do make up time on you tho', is through the left hand hairpin - you go quite wide and sideways; I slow right down and hug the apex (4th gear), and can usually make up about 1/2 sec on you there. Only the other 16 corners to master and I'll have you beat :D

Right, having had a bit of practice and learned how to play a little bit more:

strawdonkey - 4:02.96 - AT - Road Tyres

Still a load of bollocks but miles better than the original attempt!

[edit] 4:00.44, best lap 1:16.82, totally fucked the other two up.

[eedit] 3:58.28, every time I get a decent lap together I end up spannering it on the corners I can usually take with no problems.