rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Das

March Hip-Hop Recommendations

Is it 'officially' shit?

I think so mang, seems the general consensus from what I've been reading. Obviously I'll still give it a listen myself.

Hey up, what is going on with this thread? The chat is down to a minimum these days like Das was saying at the top of the page. Is it the state of hiphop to blame or just the fact we are all lazy gits who can't be bothered to interact anymore? I remember the good old days of chatting about Doom's latest release, why Cal doesn't like UK hiphop and how 36 chambers is the best album ever. :D

I must admit due to finances I'm buying less and less new hiphop and just picking stuff up cheap second hand at the moment. Perhaps there is nothing out of note at the moment? I dunno, just seems a little sad this place has gone down hill.

For what its worth I've been listening to that Chris Read 1979-2007 megamix. Its dope as fuck! Reminds me of some many damn good tunes and there is loads in there that I don't have that I need to own! I've also been spending my time introducing my girlfriend to great hiphop instead of the Rap and Bullshit she loves so much! Thankfully she is taking to it like a duck to water. :lol::(

On not such good news, Redman and Method Man are in Bristol next week and I can't afford to go!!!! :(

Just a quick one to say that this blogsite <a href="http://strictlybeats.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">http://strictlybeats.blogspot.com/</a> (that I think a few of us use a lot) has unearthed some REALLY dope hip-hop instrumental albums. Definitely worth checking on a regular basis and following the dudes recommendations, they definitely know their shit!

I've got that Vic Beats lp :D

Picked this up recently:

CS277671-01A.jpg

That shit bangs yo!

So, Public Enemy are doing a tour perfmorming It Takes A Nation of Millions in full.

Pretty cool.

In London, Manchester, and Glasgow they're supported by Kool Keith & Kutmasta Kurt, Anti Pop Consortium, and Edan & Dagha.

Fuuuuuck.

So, Public Enemy are doing a tour perfmorming It Takes A Nation of Millions in full.

Pretty cool.

In London, Manchester, and Glasgow they're supported by Kool Keith & Kutmasta Kurt, Anti Pop Consortium, and Edan & Dagha.

Fuuuuuck.

w0rrrrrd

What else you been sleeping on, man? Have you heard the new Roots stuff yet? I know you were pretty psyched at hearing them all synthed-out. In case you hadn't been checking:

Get Busy (best track of 2008 so far?)

75 Bars

Yaaas:

Risingdown.jpg

Rambling review

In summary: it sounds really good, apart from the shitty cross-over Fall Out Boy mess 'Birthday Girl' which is tacked on at the end, probably because its inclusion is the only way they could get away with releasing "an album full of grim synth-rap bangers."

Sounds a small price to pay, although it is the worst song they've ever made.

As for the rest of the album, colour me psyched.

Despite his frustration with The Big Doe Rehab only selling 35,000 copies during its first week of release, Ghostface Killah is poised to release a collection which features previously unavailable b-sides and out of print recordings. The Wallabee Champ will be released on March 25. The album is currently available for pre-orders at amazon.com. A track listing and album cover art (courtesy of Amazon) are listed below.

wallygf9.jpg

1. Intro

2. The Wallabee Champ

3. ABC

4. Roosevelts (feat. Raekwon and Trife)

5. Watch Your Mouth (Wu-Tang Clan)

6. Tony Sigel (feat. Beanie Sigel)

7. Trials Of Life (feat. Prodigy)

8. Hidden Darts [remix]

9. The Rich (feat. Raekwon)

10. We Dem Niggaz

11. Run [remix] (feat. Jadakiss and Lil Wayne)

12. Good Times [Part 2]

13. Charlie Brown [remix]

14. Clips

15. Clientele (feat. Raekwon and Fat Joe)

16. Crockett & Tubbs (feat. Raekwon)

17. 93 Freestyle (feat. Method Man)

Hmm. I love Ghostface and all, but it's possibly becoming too much of a good thing, you know? He's like the rap Zelda or something.

^Is that an Earth Wind & Fire vocal ''I'll always come baack to yooou..''?...can somebody confirm aaaargh.

Never, ever thought I'd write this but, Big Boi went off!! :wub: Rae's just being lazy (as ever).

Anyways, download it now and shout from the rooftops 'Hip Hop's alive' or something! 5 quid says you'll be rewinding.

I had a skip through previews from that Ghostface compilation over on Juno. Ghost nutters like myself will have heard a lot of the tracks before. It's got the (brilliant) DJ Muro song with Raekwon, for example, and the Wu-Tang banger 'Watch Your Mouth' which didn't make 8 Diagrams for some bizarre reason (nobody really picked up on that at the time, eh? It shoulda been on there. It's pure heat). A lot of it seems like recycled rhymes from the Theodore Unit mixtape and the Trife collab compilation, but there's a few brand new verses. Track two sees him spit his 'Wisdom Body' solo from Cuban Linx, but over the Just Blaze instrumental from 'Girls, Girls, Girls' by Hov. It sounds good. That mad lush stringed-out type beat is exactly the kind of thing that goes best with Ghost's voice.

The beats on it sound good. Certainly better than the majority of Doe Rehab's production. It sounds harder and seems to have a bit more of an underground feel to it. Kinda like those Theodore and Trife records I mentioned, in fact.

Oh, and he Hollafies ABC by the Jackson 5, just rapping right over the whole joint :wub:

And what the fuck...?!?!?!

Future of Hip Hop mate.

Skinny little fellas in nerd costumes dancing and rapping around the South Wales valleys.

Your Hastings lot are obsolete, change or die, you can't compete...

Rae's just being lazy (as ever).

Harsh. I don't think anyone could ever write off Rae's input on any track as being lazy. He's got such a dense lyrical style that it's pretty much the only way he knows how to come out. For a guy who puts out a lot of material as a solo artist, a high profile group member, a mixtape artist and a perennial guest collaborator I think that's some going. The man's a king.

Harsh. I don't think anyone could ever write off Rae's input on any track as being lazy. He's got such a dense lyrical style that it's pretty much the only way he knows how to come out. For a guy who puts out a lot of material as a solo artist, a high profile group member, a mixtape artist and a perennial guest collaborator I think that's some going. The man's a king.

Harsh, yes. But when he's overshadowed in flow by verses from Big Boi and Andre 3000 it hurts me.

Harsh, yes. But when he's overshadowed in flow by verses from Big Boi and Andre 3000 it hurts me.

See my post up there ^ It's completely the wrong beat for Rae. Double timeish/off beat type thing. Not his niche, I don't know why the Outkast boys got him on it.

Fair play. I'm wondering if that file has been sped up or something, though? Big Boi and Rae sound crazy young on it somehow.

Fair play. I'm wondering if that file has been sped up or something, though? Big Boi and Rae sound crazy young on it somehow.

Could have been a white label played at the wrong speed when digitised?

On not such good news, Redman and Method Man are in Bristol next week and I can't afford to go!!!! :(

As I told you, this was postponed until 16th April...I'm glad actually as it's now two days before my birthday and I'm involved in organising the after party.

GO, GO, GO PLENTY IN PONTY!

Never thought I'd see a nerdier rapper than MC Paul Barman...and then he turns out to be from Wales! :(

Anyways, following approval from new forum member Mr Monk himself (welcome mate!), I can now offer you all link ups to any of the Fat Club releases (apart from the first one, which is on vinyl, and I've no way of burning it atm). Anyone interested...PM me...and I wholeheartedly recommend you do. Das, did you sort a copy or are you still waiting? Apologies for the delay but you know my slack-ass steez...

Currently on heavy rotation for me is Poisonous Poets - Poisonous Poetry Vol.1. A bit old I believe but I've only just got hold of it and it's recommended for those (few) heads that can stomach Hip Hop from the UK. I'm not usually massively into stuff that bangs on about 'life pon road' an' all that these days but this is high grade IMO.