Jodorowsky

Just finished watching El Topo on dvd after hearing good things. It is decidly odd, of its time, yet predating a lot of things. It reminds me of 2001 mixed with the Dark Tower saga. The dada elements are a bit too daft for my liking, and I have no idea what is happening half the time, but it has surely been a rather visceral and pleasing change of scene for me. I am guessing Holy Mountain is better, but I have reservations about anything else, including Santa Sangre as it was made so long after the fact. Regardless, any Jodorowsky fans like to discuss his works and offer recommendations or comments? tried to search, but needless to say, I didn't find anything specific enough to stop me starting a new thread.

Santa Sangre is absolutely brilliant, one of my favourite movies.

Jodorowsky's been making comics exclusively for the last ten years or so, some of them with Moebius. Well worth a read. There's a good documentary on the DVD of Fando & Liz featuring the both of them. Fando & Liz itself is very 'out there.'

I wish he'd make more films.

El Topo and Santa Sangre are great, I found Fando and Lis pretty dull though to be honest. I still need to watch The Holy Mountain although I should thank M. Hulot for advising against watching the DVD rip that used to be available, the Anchor Bay/Tartan sets were announced pretty soon afterwards and I'd have been kicking myself if I'd have watched it in gash-o-vision beforehand.

I found Fando and Lis pretty dull though to be honest.

It's more of a curio than essential viewing, certainly not a good introduction to his work. Might put you off for life! The included documentary (on the US version at least) is worth the price of the DVD though.

The Holy Mountain is pretty breathtaking, it's definitely my favourite film of his that I've seen and in a strange way probably the most coherent. El Topo was good, and like people have said Fando Y Lis was a little boring. I've not seen Santa Sangre or Tusk.

I really liked Santa Sangre - bizarre, disturbing and touching all at once. In fact I must dig it out and give it another watch as seeing it mentioned on here has suddenly prompted images from the film to flood into my mind. Visually stunning.

I was certainly less impressed with El Topo, although I have only seen it once and should probably give it another chance as I think most of it went over my head the first time.

I've been meaning to get around to Holy Mountain for long time, thanks to this thread I might just do that :)

• 12 years later...
2 hours ago, BedroomBusinessman said:

Digging up an old thread.....

Holy Mountain, El Topo and Fando y Lis are finally getting digital releases, all three are up for preorder and on sale for £2.99 each on iTunes this week.

Odd move ahead of the Blu-ray box set release in August. Are these available on services other than the Apple store?