Mad Men

Jim Miles

Another excellent episode. Pete's school meeting built rapidly into something amazing, and some really good stuff between Peggy and Stan. I'm going to miss this...

Also, three for three on f-bombs this half-season :o

This week's was brilliant, easily the best of the season and probably one of the best of the series. It was funny, dark and heartbreaking all at once.

Joan :( I guess they found her a man so that the pill is slightly less bitter

I did think of that song when they mentioned Coke and Don's eyes lit up.

And I just googled flight 305 - wow. Would make sense given his staring at the plane and his track record of changing his identity.

It's going to end in a very plain, understated way with a slow zoom out from Don looking perplexed or disillusioned with an appropriate song over the credits. Probably The Seeker or something.

I just hope Jon Hamm records the scene where he's at the airport and gives his name as Dan Cooper, the same way Bryan Cranston recorded the Malcolm in the Middle dream sequence. Let me keep believing.

I read it as a realisation of a desire to get out. He struggled to conjure up anything for the future of the company manifesto, and as soon as he found himself back in a boardroom he immediately questioned what he was doing there. It wouldn't surprise me if he never comes back to the office. Joan's new millionaire boyfriend is a bit convenient, considering he fate at McCann, but I'll let the writers off because I so want to see a good end to our time with all these characters.

The show doesn't have to end with something big. It just needs to end like most of its series. A bit of closure on some stuff and an uncertain future. We peeked into this industry, culture and a handful of lives for a while, and that's enough. I don't think anything earth-shattering needs to happen.

I can’t believe that anyone really thought that last season would end with Megan being murdered by Charles Manson, and that this season would end with Don hijacking flight 305 and bailing out over rural Oregon. I mean, you may as well have Pete Campbell as the man on the grassy knoll, or have Harry Crane oversee the fake moon landing footage with Kubrick.

If it wasn't for the fact that Don doesn't need the money and his family obligations are more important than ever...I dunno, they're leaning into it pretty hard.

It's not even a throwaway thing to fuck with us, it's interesting and important character stuff.

He keeps on heading west and is in a very weird place.

If it wasn't for the fact that Don doesn't need the money and his family obligations are more important than ever...I dunno, they're leaning into it pretty hard.

It's not even a throwaway thing to fuck with us, it's interesting and important character stuff.

But he keeps on heading west and is in a very weird place.

I don’t think they’re leaning into it at all. They use a lot of plane imagery, but the shot of the plane in this episode was more symbolising freedom and escape, as well as Don’s previous dream to land an airline as a client, rather than being stuck in the Death Star trying to sell beer to fat people in the Midwest. There’s nothing to suggest Don’s going to hijack a plane.

What was the start of this week's about?

I thought it was going to wrap back around to that with the rest of the episode leading up to it, but it didn't.

It was quite clearly

an anxiety dream, comete with him waking up in a sweat. These dreams haunt him, and it's why he reacted the way he did with the would be con artist.

Fucking hell at last night's episode. Once again a combination of the heartwarming and the heartbreaking. I have absolutely no idea where the final episode will go though. You'd have to imagine that it will predominantly be about wrapping up Peggy and Don's arcs given what's happened so far this season.

It's striking what a contrast this half of the season has been to the finale of the first half of Season 7. That almost felt like a happy ending, pretty much everyone a winner. The past few weeks we've seen winners and losers. Quite which category Don will end up in is anyone's guess.

I know Betty hasn't always been everyone's favourite character but I found what happened in this episode really sad. It felt like she had found herself this season. She came off as, actually, a pretty decent parent (in stark contrast to earlier seasons) content with her lot and doing what she had always wanted to do in studying again. Watching her struggle up the stairs while her letter was read out was brutal. Probably the last time she'll appear in the series :(

Did I miss something? Why the fuck is Don randomly wandering across half the country just now? To find the waitress? Or himself?

I've actually really liked Betty for the last few series, think Don was holding her back!