IGNORED

Gamestation Destroying Retro Stock

moosegrinder

:lol:

I collect game gear games. Bless you. :D What did you get in?

Let me see, there was Tails Adventure, Sonic Labyrinth, and Sonic Triple Trouble for certain, and there were two more which I think were also Sonics ones. Bit hazy because I've been off since then.

You know what's odd, though? No-one ever brings us retro computer stuff. We just don't get offered it. I don't know if it's because people assume nobody wants it, or they throw stuff like that away. I think in the almost four years I've been there we've had one Spectrum and one C64 in and that's it.

A thing about cartridges is you've got to be picky, because you can really only display them in a cabinet so you've already got limited space. Nobody particularly wants to give over too much space to things that sell for a couple of pounds, when something more profitable could occupy that spot. In the end the job of a business is to make profit to keep itself going and that doesn't always mesh with the ideals of a retro fan, whether working in the shop or patronising it :(

You know what's odd, though? No-one ever brings us retro computer stuff. We just don't get offered it. I don't know if it's because people assume nobody wants it, or they throw stuff like that away. I think in the almost four years I've been there we've had one Spectrum and one C64 in and that's it.

I have tons and tons of C64 tape games here but I know they simply wouldn't go for anything, even a massive boxful. Emulators provide all the fun of old computers without the hassle of waiting 10 mins for something to load (or not). There are very few actual computer games that are worth anything, by all accounts. Consoles though, you just plug them in and away you go, no hassle. Maybe that's why they're still popular.

Personally, as much as I love my C64 it doesn't get used much these days beyond the occasional nostalgia trip. There's some great hardware like SD card readers for the Spectrum and C64 that make things useable but for normal people it's way too much hassle. A shame as it's part of our history.

Let me see, there was Tails Adventure, Sonic Labyrinth, and Sonic Triple Trouble for certain, and there were two more which I think were also Sonics ones. Bit hazy because I've been off since then.

A thing about cartridges is you've got to be picky, because you can really only display them in a cabinet so you've already got limited space. Nobody particularly wants to give over too much space to things that sell for a couple of pounds, when something more profitable could occupy that spot. In the end the job of a business is to make profit to keep itself going and that doesn't always mesh with the ideals of a retro fan, whether working in the shop or patronising it ;)

a boxed Sonic Labyrinth is worth about £40 on ebay mate....Tails Adventure isn't far behind either

^_^

hope you didn't give them away for pennies

Writing off stock that no-one is buying seems sound to me. Happens all the time in other areas of business. It sounds like most of the posters in this thread want Gamestation to be some sort of retro-museum.

The only retro I've ever purchased from Gamestation is a few gc / xbox bits and pieces quite recently. Anything decent was widely overpriced and available on ebay in much better condition and cheaper too.

There's a big difference between giving it away and wilfully destroying history.

It's not history - it's product. All industries destroy excess / unwanted stock. I see what your saying but I don't think GS should be villified(?) for using a common business practice.

There is a difference though. They haven't overbought a new item or been given loads by a supplier for cheap/free. This is second hand stuff that they have actively bought from customers.

Anyway, I don't have any problem with them destroying stuff that is genuinely commonplace and has little value such as mega drive fifas and the like. The worry is that undoubtedly there will be some quality that goes with it.

It's not like GS can order up another 20 DC titles if they decide to restock though is it ?

I used to pop in at least once a week to see if there was anything worth getting, occasionally you would get something, The last thing I got was a mint copy of Comix Zone complete with CD as part of a £1.99 bogof.

Now Gamestation is just a greasier version of Game I cant see any reason to go in at all.

I went into the Bolton branch yesterday and can say that most of the retro stuff seems to have been shifted. There is a cabinet with some retro stuff there but pretty minimal and shocking too. Not a single boxed retro game and it includes shite megadrive games. I don't understand why they can't be decent condition retro games and genuinely hard to find ones. instead we see the likesof Sonic 2 and Jungle Strike and Ryan Giggs Football.

I was in the Birmingham branch the other day. In the Mega Drive section they've got about several copies each of Shining in the Darkness, Phantasy Star III and Phantasy Star IV (but not much else); their Saturn range seems to consist entirely of multiple copies of Sonic R, Jam and 3D; and there were a lot of unboxed PS1 discs hung up behind the counter. Oh and Gamecube seems to be classed as retro too. :wacko:

The Moor branch in Sheffield no longer appears to have retro stuff - the glass case where some of the gear was displayed is now full of Mario-Kart toys. Playtime Multimedia just up the road still stocks retro items though.

Yeah we do!

Well, when people bring us the bloody stuff. ( I don't work in the Sheff one, by the by :) )

I've been to my two local GS stores recently and I have just got back from a day out in Cambridge and took the chance to check that one out too.

All three are the same, there are a whole bunch of overpriced shrink wrapped bundles in the window and nothing older than Game Cube on the shelves. There was a small selection of GBA games next to the Game Cube stuff and the dregs of the remaining hardware in an 'everything 99p' box.

Sad days indeed

Well, I took a Dreamcast in to trade and they accepted it. They did say they weren't accepting DC software, though. A couple of weeks earlier, they were.

This was the Romford (spit) branch. I didn't see anything retro-looking in the window, but then I don't normally pay attention anyway.

• 3 years later...

I noticed today that Gamestation in Nottingham have re-opened the up-stairs as a retro section.

They have (literally) a thousand odd Ps2 games up there, a ton of xbox titles, a fair few PS1 titles, but just a handfull of games on other formats.

Most of the PS2 and Xbox stuff is 5 for £10 or £2.99 each. With a 49p section for the likes of fifa.

Had a quick look over the shelves, and although there was nothing terribly exciting, it wasnt all bad, there might be a few titles to fill gaps in a collection.

Might have more time tomorrow for a longer look.

I was passing the Gamestation on Princes St, Edinburgh a couple of months ago and just happened to notice a handful of Spectrum games in the Window for 99p each. I went in and got them and asked if they had anymore. The guy got the manager and he told me that, yeah, there were more upstairs (which was closed off). He took me up and told me to help myself to the Spectrum games and we agreed on 99p per tape regardless of the size, i.e. single cassette tape to the large cardboard boxed games inc. compilations. I walked out after spending 70 odd pound with some definite bargains and pretty much cleaned them out of their Speccy stuff, though I left ones that I already had. They had quite a few C64 and Amstrad games, too. No idea if they ever got rid of them, but.

I was passing the Gamestation on Princes St, Edinburgh a couple of months ago and just happened to notice a handful of Spectrum games in the Window for 99p each. I went in and got them and asked if they had anymore. The guy got the manager and he told me that, yeah, there were more upstairs (which was closed off). He took me up and told me to help myself to the Spectrum games and we agreed on 99p per tape regardless of the size, i.e. single cassette tape to the large cardboard boxed games inc. compilations. I walked out after spending 70 odd pound with some definite bargains and pretty much cleaned them out of their Speccy stuff, though I left ones that I already had. They had quite a few C64 and Amstrad games, too. No idea if they ever got rid of them, but.

That Gamestation used to be excellent for retro games (the upstairs bit)- I remember when they got a job lot of Jaguars and were selling them for £30 (or something like that). Never bought one, but was tempted.....

Used to also be good for unboxed Nintendo and Sega cartridges, bought a few N64 games in there!!

I noticed today that Gamestation in Nottingham have re-opened the up-stairs as a retro section.

They have (literally) a thousand odd Ps2 games up there, a ton of xbox titles, a fair few PS1 titles, but just a handfull of games on other formats.

Most of the PS2 and Xbox stuff is 5 for £10 or £2.99 each. With a 49p section for the likes of fifa.

Had a quick look over the shelves, and although there was nothing terribly exciting, it wasnt all bad, there might be a few titles to fill gaps in a collection.

Might have more time tomorrow for a longer look.

Not been to Nottingham in years, but I'm assuming that means Travelling Man is now more? :( I bought my first Akira manga in there, plus VHS editions of Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Angel Cop.