IGNORED

Gamestation Destroying Retro Stock

moosegrinder

It's being destoryed for tax reasons, if it's destroyed then they can use the value as a write off. It's worth more at it's ticket price as a write off than to sell it for a quid. I hate to think how much stuff across the chain is getting destroyed that will be all formats, snes, MD, DC, Saturn N64, Game and Watch so that's a lot of gear now gone. On the bright side it means that there is less of that stuff in circulation so everything just got a little bit more rare. :lol:

hopefully not driving the prices up too much...

It's being destoryed for tax reasons, if it's destroyed then they can use the value as a write off. It's worth more at it's ticket price as a write off than to sell it for a quid.

Is that legal though, if it's done on purpose?

Nonsense.

Just because it hasn't been profitable on a retail level in a chain-store who has supported it sporadically at best doesn't make it a gimmick.

Look at the amount of retro shifted on ebay and the success of the virtual console for example.

Personally, I have no more difficulty shifting retro games bought at car boot sales than I did several years ago.

Perhaps the retail stores aren't the best environment for retro to thrive in as the demand is far more niche than that of contemporary gaming (wii, 360, ps3) thus the target audience might not be adequate in a particular region.

That doesn't equate to retro gaming being a 'gimmick' though.

It demonstrates that mainstream, corporate gaming chains lack the environment and, just as importantly, the mindset to make retro gaming profitable.

Maybe we should see this as an evolution of Game Station and not an evolution of the retro trade market.

It's annoying that this has been done without any announcement - a final clearance sale with everything at 50p would have been nice.

I have sent then an enquiry through their website asking them to clarify whether (a) it goes for all games, not just the likes of FIFA '95 but also the rare (by UK high street shop standards) titles and (b) it applies to all stores, including the big ones like Birmingham. (Mootown on the Retro Gamer forums posted "The overall plan is to write off the NON SELLING titles to have a more credible range which will be able to be displayed better in the chosen retro stores and therefore maintain strong sales.")

I doubt I'll get an informative response. But it's the principle of the thing! I feel better having Made Them Aware Of My Concerns.

It demonstrates that mainstream, corporate gaming chains lack the environment and, just as importantly, the mindset to make retro gaming profitable.

I dont think its viable to have a retro gaming shop in the UK and I've seen CEX, Graham Howdens store both had a pretty good shot at it. Especially the CEX store when it first opened. The problem is supply of stock and the fact that your customer know more about supply and pricing then the store.

Comparing retro gaming shops in Japan where they have a great supply of old games in excellent condition all the stock in the uK stores is either imported from Japan, so has a higher cost that if you imported it yourself, stuff from the car boot or items that are not worth selling on Ebay.

I wonder how many people in this topic often bought retro titles from Gamestation.

i did/do whenever i see cheap Saturn games - but they have been drying up lately so i normally go to Chips on Dumbarton Rd. - a bit more expensive but they are always in better condition. a mint Resident Evil for £4? i thenk yow.

the Gamestation on Sauchiehall St. has a few DC games along with carts for various systems. nothing amazing though. the store on Union St. seems to have all but removed their retro section, shame because at one time they gave it proper shelf-space. now it's iPod shit and action figures.

Not often. I got some bargains (as I'm sure we all did) but I never paid over the odds for anything.

That's like me. I have bought quite a bit from them but never at a price that wasn't well below other market values.

Exactly like Dreamcastmaster says – What tends to happen is people pick up bundles from car boot sales etc for the one or two nice rare titles that they then either keep or Ebay. They the dump all of the common rubbish they are left with in the Retro Shop for store credit – which they then use to buy the one nice retro game that the store has. Good for that individual gamer but eventually the retro shop ends up with 500 copies of Fifa on Megadrive that simply won’t sell but has paid out for the privilege and nothing good retro related that will sell.

At one time they were giving a pound for an unboxed game regardless of what it was. I’d suggest that no end of Megadrive sports games were traded in against new PS2/XBOX/Cube games or rare retro titles at that time. None of us would accept 30 copies of Fifa for a boxed copy of Secret of Mana so I sort of understand. Shame though.

I've bought retro from GS in the past but as has been said what's left really isn't worth the asking price, either overvalued 'classics' or plain old tat I wouldn't give to my kids. In the Gloucester one at least the original Xbox selection is down to the sort of games you wouldn't even feel 4 for £10 would make attractive - the hope of finding any sort of bargain now is pretty much gone. Even a clueless twat like me has a fair idea of the relative value of various games, so when you see FF7 (Platinum) going for £20+ you know it'll be there for some time to come.

The last retro game I bought in GS was Samba De Amigo for £80, really good nick, couldn't say no really. That was out of the window.

Okay I'm going off topic but things like second-hand 360 games for £2 off the original price and the shocking amount of tat that is increasingly clogging up the aisles makes me wonder why I go in there still.

It just retail in general. The sad fact is that if people didn't pay it they wouldn't price things like that. Just like Wii and DS bundles, if people didn't buy them they wouldn't be there. Shops have a symbiotic relationship with the customers, it's all cyclic.

Guest buggenhagen

I've been having a clear out in my flat and have decided to get rid of a whole load of retro stuff that's not been used in years and is taking up valuable space. Popped into Gamestation on Sauchiehall St yesterday to talk to them and was basically told that they are getting rid of all their retro stock and that it was up to the discretion of the regional manager whether or not they would take anything else. They basically said to head to ebay - obviously the better plan but a lot more work.

A response!

Hi Nick

Thank you for your email, Gamestation is not stopping selling retro

titles however theses titles are only going to be sold through selected

stores due to space restrictions, there is also a section on our

website

where you can purchase retro titles.

Kind regards

Jody Jones - Operations Support Assistant

Tel.: 0845 365 1275 (ext. 251)

Fax: 01904 692225

gamestation | 10 - 12 Stirling Park | Amy Johnson Way | Clifton Moor |

York | YO30 4WU

I recently went and offloaded a bunch of mint SNES games (which only sell for a couple of quid on ebay). Hope they don't destroy them, they were precious to me. I'd hoped someone else would enjoy them. :(

I dumped a few at a local charity store... Maybe I should have put them all there?

Shame to think of all those GB, GBC, MS, NES, SNES and MD carts and PS1 CDs going off to the crusher, but really, isn't emulation the way forward anyway? Less space, less hassle. Not to mention it was always PAL stuff in there so wht would you want to play it in the first place?

As for the N64, Saturn and DC stuff, maybe there were a few curiosities occasionally but if you wanted anything half decent you always had to go to ebay anyway.

I like my retro, but gamestation's retro section was pretty irrelevant.

I wonder how many people in this topic often bought retro titles from Gamestation.

I certainly did. Much of my meagre Saturn collection was bought in a Gamestation Bogof promotion, and few PS1 rareaties that escaped the GS pricing madness. My latest copy of Legacy of Kain (the PS1 original) for instance. I used to get some stuff for the DC from them too. It's handy because you can browse without knowing what you are looking for.

Would have donating the games to charity have been the same as destroying them? Might have been nice if they had just given them all to Cancer Research or something.

Shame to think of all those GB, GBC, MS, NES, SNES and MD carts and PS1 CDs going off to the crusher, but really, isn't emulation the way forward anyway? Less space, less hassle. Not to mention it was always PAL stuff in there so wht would you want to play it in the first place?

As for the N64, Saturn and DC stuff, maybe there were a few curiosities occasionally but if you wanted anything half decent you always had to go to ebay anyway.

I like my retro, but gamestation's retro section was pretty irrelevant.

What? Thats like saying we have photographs of all the ancient stuff from Egypt so lets just burn it all.

Regardless of what we think about GS destroying retro games, nobody can be shocked to see it happen can they?

I've used GS for years for taking the cream and dumping the shit. That only means one thing long term. They should never, ever have taken anything that they didn't believe they could sell on for £5+ regardless. Having 90% of your retro stock being worthless crap has several effects, the main one being that people stop bothering to sift through the shit to find the gems especially as when you do find them they're not going to priced to make them worth the effort.

Not in the slightest. The thing is there's no control on a shop floor level, they do what the till tells them. It's a never ending cycle of utter bollocks. At least we can tell people we don't want their shit because it's worth fuck all (in a nice diplomatic way obv).

My best retro trade in a GS was for one of those GBA TV adapters, it was really crap, bad user interface and bad picture quality. I looked to shift it on Ebay but it was worthless. So i traded it in with a lot of other junk. Turns out the till told them it was worth 35 on trade in as they still listed it at full RRP instore. Needless to say I went an brought a few more from ebay at 10 and traded them in.

My best retro trade in a GS was for one of those GBA TV adapters, it was really crap, bad user interface and bad picture quality. I looked to shift it on Ebay but it was worthless. So i traded it in with a lot of other junk. Turns out the till told them it was worth 35 on trade in as they still listed it at full RRP instore. Needless to say I went an brought a few more from ebay at 10 and traded them in.

I've never gone as far as buying stuff from ebay to trade in at GS but I have with stuff I've found on the high street.

Nonsense.

Just because it hasn't been profitable on a retail level in a chain-store who has supported it sporadically at best doesn't make it a gimmick.

Look at the amount of retro shifted on ebay and the success of the virtual console for example.

Personally, I have no more difficulty shifting retro games bought at car boot sales than I did several years ago.

Perhaps the retail stores aren't the best environment for retro to thrive in as the demand is far more niche than that of contemporary gaming (wii, 360, ps3) thus the target audience might not be adequate in a particular region.

That doesn't equate to retro gaming being a 'gimmick' though.

I meant "To Gamestation" not in general, I thought that was obvious sorry.

I meant "To Gamestation" not in general, I thought that was obvious sorry.

I dont see how it could be seen as a gimmick to just GS either. They were invested in the retro scene for years. I even remember reports of them sending staff out on regular trips to car boots to pick up stock.

I dont see how it could be seen as a gimmick to just GS either. They were invested in the retro scene for years. I even remember reports of them sending staff out on regular trips to car boots to pick up stock.

Purely for marketing. It was an attempt to stand out.

If they gave the slightest shit they wouldn't be destroying stock. That's like a museum destroying paintings because they don't attract enough visitors.