rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
moosegrinder

Gamestation Destroying Retro Stock

So, one of our managers in Huddersfield phoned us today to tell us one of the customers has been in saying GS are destroying their retro stock. Not writing down, not selling off, not moving destroying. Info from customers is ropey at best so I went to ask the manager in Doncasters branch of Gamestation and he's fucking right. No retro stuff ANYWHERE on the shop floor or in the window. He says the area manager came round and did it personally, probably so the staff couldn't 'destroy it' and take it home for profit or keeping. For some reason it felt like a knife had been stabbed in my heart and twisted, or like I heard the sound of a 1000 voices cry out in pain and then were suddenly cut off :(

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is true, local GS manager told me the other week. Said they wernt allowed to take anything, and the Regional Manager had been hovering about like flies on shit, to ensure that it was all binned/destroyed.

Fucking shame if you ask me.

Ah, a chap came into our shop today and bought some PS1 games, he told me that they had a stack of them behind the counter in Gamestation but the assistant said they couldn't sell them as they were being 'sent somewhere'.

If it's true, then what a shameful thing to do. I can understand them perhaps wanting to stop selling retro gear, but to destroy it is a terrible waste. Why not just price every item at a quid and have a massive sale. At least that way things are still in the system where people can obtain and enjoy them.

Gamestation's new retro policy, yesterday:

goofs_43.jpg

WHSmiths have a similar policy with books. My other half used to work there and they would have a clearout of old stock periodically which involved staff, under the managers watchful eye, ripping up old books that hadn't sold.

Nazi's all of them :(

I have previously posted about Gamestations lack of retro wares. The last time I was in my local GS was the week after Xmas, the helpfull chap restocking shelves told me that as far as he knew the retro stock had been moved out of store for christmas to make way for the more recent releases over the profitable season.

He assured me they would be back in the store in the next month or so. :angry:

Lets hope this is a issolated case and not a country wide eddict from management. Otherwise slowly and surely GS will just become another Game. :(

My local GS in Dartford have a boxed PAL Secret of Mana with Official Nintendo Strategy Guide for £39.99 in the display cabinet if anyone's interested! :(

They have a few retro titles - not come across any Nazi activity.

I cant understand why they are destroying it all. Surely they could just have a few specials on most of it. Or failing that have someone sit down in a warehouse and list it on the likes of ebay. Sure it would take a week or two but the money earned back would cover costs.

Is it all the shite stuff? Fifa 95 carts that sort of thing?

Everything apparently.

My local GS in Dartford have a boxed PAL Secret of Mana with Official Nintendo Strategy Guide for £39.99 in the display cabinet if anyone's interested! :(

They have a few retro titles - not come across any Nazi activity.

Was that today? Keep an eye out if you;d be so kind, I want to see if it's a nationwide thing.

Lorf, they don't care. If they're doing it for the reasons I thin they are then it's easier to destroy it and write it off as wastage. Game are a big company, they can afford it. What they can't afford is dead shelf space which could be taken up with iPods, new releases ands shit Gears Of War bags.

Gamestation have been going downhill for a while and this just cements what I have been thinking. Retro was what seperated them from Game. Last time I went into my local branch there seemed to be more tat (clocks, umberellas, bags) on display than games. Sad times.

The retro bit in the Gloucester one is clinging on for dear life, it's just a jumble of formats now, nothing organised. It's only a matter of time before that goes and is replaced with a load of action figures and iPod tat. When I started using the place you could easily walk in and pick up some decent games at reasonable prices, now it is sadly turning into Game. The most depressing part is that the Gamecube stuff is now mixed in with the retro cack, sad to see it go by the wayside like that.

I'd rather they did something daft like 5 shite Megadrive games for £1 than destroy them. Maybe it's just less hassle as far as accounting goes, I don't know.

Perhaps if they got rid of the acres of unsaleable PS2 stuff they might have some more room. If they can do 4 crap PS2 games for £10 then they can do a good deal on retro to clear.

It's being destoryed for tax reasons, if it's destroyed then they can use the value as a write off. It's worth more at it's ticket price as a write off than to sell it for a quid. I hate to think how much stuff across the chain is getting destroyed that will be all formats, snes, MD, DC, Saturn N64, Game and Watch so that's a lot of gear now gone. On the bright side it means that there is less of that stuff in circulation so everything just got a little bit more rare. :(

The idea of defending this action on the grounds of tax is laughable. If they were motivated by anything supplementary to their (fair) desire for profit, they would at least be boxing them up and giving them to hospital children's wards.

It does very neatly prove what the commercially minded of us knew all along, Retro was always a gimmick and nothing else.

Nonsense.

Just because it hasn't been profitable on a retail level in a chain-store who has supported it sporadically at best doesn't make it a gimmick.

Look at the amount of retro shifted on ebay and the success of the virtual console for example.

Personally, I have no more difficulty shifting retro games bought at car boot sales than I did several years ago.

Perhaps the retail stores aren't the best environment for retro to thrive in as the demand is far more niche than that of contemporary gaming (wii, 360, ps3) thus the target audience might not be adequate in a particular region.

That doesn't equate to retro gaming being a 'gimmick' though.

It demonstrates that mainstream, corporate gaming chains lack the environment and, just as importantly, the mindset to make retro gaming profitable.

Was that today? Keep an eye out if you;d be so kind, I want to see if it's a nationwide thing.

It was Sunday just gone.

But the last few weeks I've been browsing and they've always had it - along with plenty of SNES and GB carts and the like.

I'll probably take a walk into town on Sunday and will let you know if it's still there.

Chesterfield's branch still has retro stuff and they say that their area manager told them they're keeping stuff that sells for more than £4.99, so christ only knows what's going on.

Sounds like they are just getting rid of all the shite like Fifa rather than the really valuable stuff.