Reading/Leeds 2008

Couple of updates, allegedly Mindless Self Indulgence Street Team members got details of tour dates in their latest mailouts and they're main staging the festivals. Most people reckon they're on after Alexisonfire.

Because not matter how good the line up is someone will always say it's shit.

This years is fantastic. So many bands i want to see.

Couple of reasons.

1) Rampaging mediocrity. One Night Only, The Fratellis, The Enemy, The Automatic, Joe Lean, Jack Penate, The Ting Tings, Mystery Jets, The Metros... all stand out as main offenders.

2) Bands seem to be waltzing into high up positions just because the NME likes them. The Last Shadow Puppets have never played live before. Sorry, what happened there? They're not even that good, the only thing they have riding for them in Owen Pallett and from what I've heard of the album they could have done better with him. The Wombats too. Half the bands there have only got one album out, a couple of them don't even have one.

3) My personal taste. Don't like Metallica, QoTSA, The Wombats, Babyshambles or The Last Shadow Puppets so the headliners are sparse for me and found it difficult to find a solid set of bands I like throughout the weekend.

Really hoping for a strong ex-Carling stage. Heard some great names being thrown around. Louis XIV and Jeffrey Lewis are self-confirmed that I know of (seen the confirmations myself) and the rumoured names include Of Montreal, Explosions in the Sky, Black Kids, Rival Schools, Winterkids, Final Fantasy, Say Anything and Patrick Wolf. Even one off that list would make me happy.

Out of curiosity went through the poster erasing bands I didn't like, giving benefit of the doubt to those I didn't know. It went from around about 90 bands to 43. The dance arena is shit as a dance arena too, but as far as the sort of indie electronica thing going on goes it seems pretty solid. Only bands who could tempt me away are Conor Oberst, Alexisonfire and The Cribs.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8084/le...lectionsjc1.png

For those curious.

• 2 months later...

well the festival republic tent looks shit. But at least Cage The Elephant will be there!

Not content with booking the headliners of the summer, including exclusive performances from the likes of Metallica, Rage Against The Machine, The Killers and The Last Shadow Puppets, we are proud to announce the line-up for the first Festival Republic Stage.

Packed with all the new names you have read about throughout the year, the stage is the first port of call for anyone looking to see the next big things now.

Over the weekend, NME cover stars Glasvegas, chart topper Wiley, the Kerrang tipped Elliot Minor and many more will make the first Festival Republic Stage another arena of rock history in the 20th year of the modern Reading Festival and the 10th year of the Leeds Festival.

The Festival Republic stage features Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip, Elliot Minor, The Kills, Does It Offend You, Yeah?, The Audition, Wiley, Late Of The Pier, All Time Low, Glasvegas

Plus: Black Acid, Black Kids, Black Tide, Cage The Elephant, Collapsing Cities, Emmy The Great, Fight Like Apes, Fighting With Wire, Florence And The Machine, Friendly Fires, Ida Maria, In Case Of Fire, Johnny Foreigner, Jubilee, Los Campesinos!, Louis XIV, Lovvers, Natty, Sergeant, TeenagersInTokyo, The Rascals, The Teenagers, These New Puritans, Twisted Wheel, White Denim, White Lies, Wild Beasts, You Me At 6

Awful line-up again.

Of all those bands there's Glasvegas, Los Campesinos! Johnny Foreigner and Friendly Fires that'd I'd go see.

The BBC Introducing tent is gonna be where it's at I feel. Not been announced, but Youthmovies are headlining it so I've been told.

If you don't go and see Los Campesinos! and Johnny Foreigner you are a fool.

Couple of other decent bands on the FR stage, nothing exceptional but I reckon with that added in you could get a solid weekend of alright bands with a couple of crackers and time for heavy liver abuse in there.

Future of the Left are opening the NME stage on one of the days, too, wasn't in the main announcement but is on the lineup.

Can't go wrong with a bit of Youthmovies. I'm almost tempted by all this just for RATM.

I bought my day ticket for Rage.

Hoping Johnny Foreigner will be on the Saturday too, but it's all about the Rage.

I'm off to see a proper weekend line up at Latitude next weekend. [/troll]

Very much looking forward to DIOYY?, Le Sac & Pip and Black Kids.

Fighting with Wire are pretty good, reckon you'd probably like them Blinky.

Gimme a brief idea of what they sound like-feel free to just list comparison bands.

I prefer to get an imartial idea of bands than fudging MySpace nowadays. I'm getting old. <_<

Gimme a brief idea of what they sound like-feel free to just list comparison bands.

I prefer to get an imartial idea of bands than fudging MySpace nowadays. I'm getting old. :lol:

Bit Fugazi, bit ATDI, but a bit less hardcore than either, with poppier melodies. They played Casbah with Actionier a while back and fitted in just nicely if that helps at all :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Not wanting to spam the thread, but I've posted in the Wanted Folder looking for up to 5 weekend tickets for Reading, we missed out at the box office and have been waiting to see if anyone needs to sell spares etc.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

I'll be at Leeds, tickets arrived yesterday. :D

Anyone else gonna squeeze in the introducing tent for FF'ers on the offchance that it's a secret Foo Fighters set? (It won't be, but gawd bless the band for capitalizing on the rumour. That's gonna be one packed tent...)

Got mine from See (pained me to give them money, but their site infrastructure is the most solid...was a hectic couple of minutes when they got released :D )

They're saying that all tickets should be delivered by Monday.

The new site maps are online:

Reading

Leeds

Gotta feel for the poor cunts who paid £240 for MyHabs. That's gotta be a 30-40 minute walk to the arena....

hahaha that's actually pretty damn funny.

It's interesting that they now have the wristband exchange right at the front door... doesn't that get busy enough as it is?

hahaha that's actually pretty damn funny.

It's interesting that they now have the wristband exchange right at the front door... doesn't that get busy enough as it is?

There's one at every entrance now. They do it at Glasto and Download and it works pretty well.

Anyone received their tickets yet? Takes the piss really only sending them out a few days before the event.

A friend of mine received his today only to be sent Leeds tickets instead of Reading. How retarded must the ticket companies be to fuck that up?