Jump to content
rllmuk
rubberducker

The Ultimate Burger

Recommended Posts

Used to mess around a lot more with burgers but I now just  grind month-aged chuck with regular rump .70/30 muscle to fat on a coarse grind. Add plenty of salt just before going over coals and serve on a regular, no-frills sesame seed bun. The only condiment it needs are its juices. A glass of red wine really sets off all that luscious fat.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, it's not these

 

Spoiler

Dw9jD9DU8AYIZ7P.jpg

 

and it's not these

 

Spoiler

Dw-YkCeWkAIEGDN.jpg

 

(kirkland beef burgers from costco)

 

at least, not on the same day, anyway...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/12/2017 at 11:21, davejm said:

I've been experimenting making burgers for a few months now.  I've started to move away from adding loads of ingredients to the patties (egg, breadcrumbs, shit loads of herbs etc) and have started to keep it simple with good quality steak mince; but of seasoning and some onion powder.   How do you make yours?

 

I like smash burgers personally. Not a huge fan of big medium rare patties, everything else in a burger is soft enough, I like a bit of hard crust on my meat. I save the medium rare treatment for steak. 

 

Small patties, smashed on cast iron, salt and pepper (sometimes other stuff like garlic salt, paprika etc etc), American cheese on both. Two per burger. Lots of burger sauce maybe lettuce, pickle, tomato and onion (sometimes raw, sometimes fried, sometimes both). Lettuce etc on the bottom to protect the bottom bun from getting soaked in juice and falling apart.

 

Burger must fit in mouth. I hate gigantic burgers that you have to dislocate your jaw to eat. 

 

If you want to eat a lot of burger, just eat lots of smaller ones that actually fit in your mouth. Simple.

 

Plenty of recipes on YouTube, as always, I like J-Kenji's:

 

 

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/01/2019 at 16:14, stephen129 said:

 

I like smash burgers personally. Not a huge fan of big medium rare patties, everything else in a burger is soft enough, I like a bit of hard crust on my meat. I save the medium rare treatment for steak. 

 

Small patties, smashed on cast iron, salt and pepper (sometimes other stuff like garlic salt, paprika etc etc), American cheese on both. Two per burger. Lots of burger sauce maybe lettuce, pickle, tomato and onion (sometimes raw, sometimes fried, sometimes both). Lettuce etc on the bottom to protect the bottom bun from getting soaked in juice and falling apart.

 

Burger must fit in mouth. I hate gigantic burgers that you have to dislocate your jaw to eat. 

 

If you want to eat a lot of burger, just eat lots of smaller ones that actually fit in your mouth. Simple.

 

Plenty of recipes on YouTube, as always, I like J-Kenji's:

 

 

Friday dinner re-evaluated from Thai red curry to Ultra smashed burgers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second everything @stephen129 says there. Smashed burgers are the way forward. Gotta be wide and flat, no gastropub meatball burgers.

 

I like my burgers to be sloppy messes too. Homemade big-mac style sauce underneath, yellow mustard and Frank's on the top. Once you've got a decent big-mac style sauce under your belt too, it's easy to start tailoring it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big, over the top food, is a big pet peeve of mine. 

 

Once the intial 'ZOMG IT'S SO BIG' is over, you're left with a burger that literally hurts to eat as you dislocate your jaw trying to fit it in your mouth. You can't get a good taste of all the layers, as there's too many of them or they're too thick, and then it all starts falling apart in a disgusting mess.

 

In fact, I pretty much hate all 'Instagram food' and food that is just made to get views or shock people. 

 

Freakshakes, digusting.

Giant pizzas with tacos on top, digusting.

Deep fried oreo cakes with loads of icing sugar and melted chocolate on top, digusting.

Chicken wings covered with gold leaf, complete waste of money and pointless.

Rainbow coloured things that make no difference to the taste, pointless.

Food challenge food, digusting.

 

/Rant over

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case anyone wants the recipe:

Mayo

Ketchup

Pickle juice

Mustard

 

Optional

Paprika

Onion salt

Celery salt

Garlic salt

Chopped pickles

Chopped white onion

 

Play around with the quantities, but that should give you a decent burger sauce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those smashed burgers are fantastic.  It convinced they need anything but cheese, either, but they do go well with sauce as well. 

 

I just used a small saucepan for the smash and a normal spatula. Any tips on improving that without resorting to plastering tools?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2019 at 13:06, Ran said:

Friday dinner re-evaluated from Thai red curry to Ultra smashed burgers...

At 1.45 - what does he say "Toast your buns in butter ..." ? Is that right? or "Toast your buns and butter 'em (them)". 

I'd usually toast burger buns under a grill. No butter involved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

At 1.45 - what does he say "Toast your buns in butter ..." ? Is that right? or "Toast your buns and butter 'em (them)". 

I'd usually toast burger buns under a grill. No butter involved. 

 

Toast your buns and butter.

 

Up to you really. Most restaurants will butter the buns. Overkill for me personally. A lot of restaurants will butter anything they get their hands on.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sometimes do it too when I'm in the mood.

 

A very soft bun with a crisp enough surface to structurally withstand a bath of sauce and cheese is ideal for me. Potato rolls do this well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what i find really adds flavour is to leave the burgers to one side and get rid of excessive fat and crisp the bun surface up in the beef fat (this is also a great bacon sandwich technique)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checked out one of our new locals today: Dip & Flip in Wimbledon. I don't think I could eat more than about one of the things a year, but bloody hell that was lovely. And yet, simultaneously, so very, very wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.