rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
rubberducker

The Ultimate Burger

Hi gents,

I am back in the UK for a couple of weeks at xmas and need to sample some of the latest delights. Staying in Shoreditch area.

So far I have highlighted

- Burger Bear

- Chuck Burger Bar

Previously I have tried

- Dirty Burger

- Bleeker St Burger

- Dip & Flip

- BarBoulud

- Honest burger

- Meat liquor (in Singapore)

- Hawksmoor burger (I have a vague recollection of trying some time back)

- Byron

- Burger & Lobster

Last year I put on 3kg so this year lets try and beat it.

This may help?

Volume on that did my head in. His Wiley interludes are like twice as loud as the talking.

Interesting to see a take on some of the lesser known places I guess, but christ that bloke is annoying.

Singapore is truffle overkill as it is offered on everything. Are these truffle fries exceptional truffle fries?

Haven't had any others to compare them to! Good view of St Paul's if nothing else.

Went to Shake Shack last night, the US chain. £18.50 for burger, fries and a beer. The burger was tasty enough but greasy and a little thin, not a spot on a bleeker. I chose the cheesy fries, instead of actual cheese they covered it with the runny goop you get in Cineworld on the nachos. Similar to that it was disgusting but I ate them all compulsively.

Hellcock. Go to a beer rebellion (Brockley on the overground from shoreditch, or gipsy hill) and get a couple of burgers there.

If you get to gipsy hill I can buy you a beer.

I know there's a few Canary Wharf folks out there - just spotted this out the back of BP...

post-12998-0-83369300-1447507058_thumb.j

Could even be tempted to go to Brockley actually.

The burgers at Beer Rebellion are great. Shame about the beer mind.

If you go to the Brockley one, I'll come. Also, it's only a 20 minute or so walk to Nunhead, so you could follow up with Burger Bear.

Was there anyone else there? We went and really enjoyed it, but it had no atmosphere, they couldn't pour a pint and the food took too long.

Hawksmoor are doing their Christmas burger again from 23/11 if you wanted to check that out while you're here (Knightsbridge and Spitalfields Bar branches only). Not a beef burger but it is very nice!

New burger place has just opened up this week near me in Sidcup called Hello Burger (http://www.helloburger.co.uk/)

Went in yesterday to see what they're like, and not a huge menu by any means, but was impressed with what I had. I went for the tribute burger with sweet potato fries and rosemary fries. The burger is served medium/well, and is pretty bloody tasty. Nice brioche bun with it, but the one thing I hate about brioche buns is the tendency for it to collapse from meat juice and sauce. The sweet potato fries was a sheer marvel, crispy, fluffy and loads of flavour, but in contrast the rosemary fries were a bitter disappointment, being just french fries with dried rosemary sprinkled on them, and enough salt to make them inedible.

The man who owns it is an award winning bartender (apparently did the cocktails for This Morning), and my wife went for a Velvet Mai Tai, which she said was bloody gorgeous.

11225723_10207725420837692_8241464365471

• Upvote 1

I had a second crack at 5 Guys on Sunday, and can now conclude that they are massively overpriced and overrated. The Burger was ok, but I've made better burgers myself. The chips were ok, not amazing. I'd rate McDonald's chips over them. Certainly not worth the £14 I paid.

• Upvote 1

Are their Hot Dogs any good?

Better than the burgers, but still horribly overpriced. And far too much salt on the fries.

Nipped into Dinerama in Shoreditch on the way home last night and tried some of their sliders, one of each for £10. They were excellent, really tender and rare in the middle.

If you go back here, you have to get the brisket bun from smoke stack. It's so nice.

Also, went to Elliot's Cafe at Borough Market today. Burger is one of the nicest I've ever had. A bit pricey at £15 including lovely chips, but probably worth it.

I'm off to New York again in just over a week, I may give Five Guys another try over there because spending money on a holiday is always a bit like free money in my head, so the price won't be as offensive to me. Hopefully it will be better than my previous one.

So I gave Five Guys another try last night - and it was terrible. The fries were better (though still not great) but the patties were devoid of any flavour whatsoever, as were the toppings (even the jalapenos had no bite). Really disappointed with it, but at least I'm glad I tried again. For info, it was just over $11 for a cheeseburger and small fries. Had a nice sandwich today though in a chain called Lenwich's, which I mention only because the toppings were full of flavour and bite.

That leads me ask, then, where is good to get a decent burger and a reasonable price here in NYC?

• Upvote 1

So I gave Five Guys another try last night - and it was terrible. The fries were better (though still not great) but the patties were devoid of any flavour whatsoever, as were the toppings (even the jalapenos had no bite). Really disappointed with it, but at least I'm glad I tried again. For info, it was just over $11 for a cheeseburger and small fries. Had a nice sandwich today though in a chain called Lenwich's, which I mention only because the toppings were full of flavour and bite.

That leads me ask, then, where is good to get a decent burger and a reasonable price here in NYC?

Why would you bother with a burger when you can get the best sandwich in the world; the Reuben from Katz's deli.

• Upvote 1

Don't like corned beef, for one.

You know American corned beef isn't what Brits call corned beef, right?

You know American corned beef isn't what Brits call corned beef, right?

You can get the same shit-in-a-tin as well though can't you? Not that that'll be in a nice deli sandwich, even so. I'm tempted to try make either some proper corned beef or maybe pastrami at some point, didn't someone (maybe you?) post up about it on here once?