rllmuk
rubberducker

The Ultimate Burger

Hawksmoor is way too variable to be in the Top 10 and, well... opinions are all good. But what's the point if you're just wrong?

Not even variable. The decline in the Hawksmoor has been deliberate and disgraceful and it was no surprise at all when they flogged it.

They built the reputation on using amazingly sourced meat and ingredients and then decided to just turn it into a money spinner cutting corners wherever possible. Ok, it's not CUT Park Lane prices, but it's not a cheap steak and the fact they get away with using big tubs of pre-purchased sauces nowadays etc is just sneaky and shit.

Fuck the Hawksmoor - there I said it.

In other news went to Tommi's burger a couple of times since it reopened. Still pretty good for burger joint you don't really have to wait for in Central.

• Upvote 1

Woah WOAH. Hawksmoor is bad now? When did that happen?

Last time I went it was fine and I couldn't tell any difference from any other visit, apart from they'd stopped putting blue cheese in the macaroni. Pre-purchased sauces? Where's that goss coming from?

Also I didn't know they'd sold up? I know they're opening a new non-Hawksmoor restaurant coz I got an email about the soft launch, but I wasn't aware of the original team cutting ties with Hawksmoor.

Never had a burger from there IIRC so can't comment on those, mind.

It's still the same guys running the Hawksmoor, and the steak is still the same amazing Ginger Pig beef it always was. And everything else is still amazing.

I know it's still Will and Huw running it, because I was there (Guildhall) on Saturday for a charity event, and Will was compering it. Looking forward to their new place, Foxlow. At the same charity event I 'won' an auction for a table for eight on opening night, can't wait.

As promised:

French fries. Par-boiled in vinegary water, fried once, frozen, then fried a second time in beef dripping. Served with American-style gloopy cheese sauce made with red cheddar, cornflour, evaporated milk, Rotel tomatoes and Frank's hot sauce.

L44SdfIl.jpg

Homemade bread-and-butter pickle chips, floured, dipped in egg/buttermilk, then dredged in a mixture of smashed up cream crackers and panko breadcrumbs, then deep fried. Look a bit of a mess but these were fucking delicious. Served with a buffalo-style dip made from cream cheese, Stilton, ranch dressing and Frank's hot sauce.

Burgers.

- Homemade light brioche buns, bottom half toasted on the inside and spread with homemade chipotle baconnaise (mayo made with half oil, half bacon fat, with ground up crispy bacon and smoky chipotle paste mixed in)

- Shredded iceburg to absorb juice.

- Double Black Label patty from East London Steak Co (this generated too much grease and was a struggle to finish. A single patty would have sufficed!). Spread with homemade bacon jam after the first flip, and topped with American cheese.

- Crispy smoked bacon

- Optional Frazzles, pickles, ketchup and mustard

- More bacon jam and/or baconnaise spread on the top bun

5AVhMHpl.jpg

And I've only put on 3.5 stone over the weekend. Result!

That is one damn Good Burger. For some reason though I just want to get at those fries. It's the fact that you cooked them in vinagary water and beef fat you son of a bitch.

I'll tell you where I had a nice burger last night. Beard to Tail on Curtain Road. The food was very good. I had steak tartare followed by the burger. My girlfriend had oysters followed by butcher's steak (onglet) which was also very good.

The cocktails were lovely too.

The real star of the night was Kimchinary and their amazing Korean-style Burritos. Highly recommend that you check these guys out if you get the chance.

These guys are at a market behind the Royal Festival Hall on the South Bank every weekend, definitely worth the trip!

Inspired by this thread I decided to do my own burgers this weekend for some friends. Didn't go to the lengths of baking my own bread but the burger meat mix really came out well. Got the butcher to mince up 2kg of half rib-eye and half beef short-rib. Mixed in a bit of garlic powder, salt and white pepper. Then split 1kg into 4 big patties. (I think I'll do them smaller next time.)

Kept the burger pretty simple - some peri peri mayo, ketchup and French's, slice of tomato, amercian style plastic cheese, lettuce and the key ingredient some home pickled red onion. (Copying Ptty & Bun - not that I've tried it there yet.) Grilled on a gas Weber and they came out really nice. Could possibly have kept them a bit more rare but not bad for a first effort.

Some triple cooked chips on the side.

Obligatory picture:

post-886-0-20947900-1381767330_thumb.jpg

Yesterday did the kids some sliders - it's the bag of meat that keeps on giving.

• Upvote 2

Advice please:

Taking some Sixth Form kids to the London on Thursday. Whilst they're doing some research at the BFI Library (South bank) I've got potentially an hour (max) spare whilst the other teacher on the trip is with them.

So, where's the best burger that I can grab in the local area? Failing that, I'm taking them all to Leicester Sq. for a film later on in the day, should I just hold off and try a Five Guys, despite the really mixed reviews?