The Ultimate Burger

I use a le creuset iron skillet to cook them on the hob, even with supermarket finest/taste the diff etc you get a lovely flavour and those tasty black lines goodness

i've bought several expensive skillets, mostly non stick, but the simple le creuset (which isn't non stick) out performs them all by far

I use a cast iron griddle plate that goes on the hob. It's griddled on one side and smooth on the other. I use the smooth side.

I use supermarket mince, which I know is less than ideal, but there you go. I use 20% fat stuff.

I get the plate hot, so it's just starting to smoke. Add a small amount of oil, and sliced onion. Then I take the mince out of the fridge and shape the burgers, keeping the 'threads' all going the same way. I season the burger on the side I'm putting on the plate, and then slap it down. After a few minutes I season the other side and turn it.

When the burger is nearly cooked, I put the burgers on top of the onion, put cheese on the burger and then the top half of the bun on top of the cheese.

Then when the cheese is melted I serve. I put whatever sauces/salsas I want with the burger on the bottom half before the burger goes on.

Cast iron for cooking any meat on the hob -- burgers, steaks, anything. It'll give the best sear on the outside because of its high thermal mass. Cooking over charcoal on a barbecue is even better, though.

Then when the cheese is melted I serve. I put whatever sauces/salsas I want with the burger on the bottom half before the burger goes on.

I'm all for freedom of expression but this is just madness!

I bought a couple of the burgers from the Barbecoa butchers stand at the Real Food Festival at Southbank yesterday. They were by far the best burgers I've ever bought and cooked at home. £2.50 each

Yeah, Honest's chips tend to err on the over side.

Yeah, a lot of the time they are waaaay too hard (that's what she said) and quite often over salted. I'm totally over Honest, had too many bad ones in a row. It's gone really downhill which is a shame as it was awesome having a good burger place in Brixton!

It seems like all people want to do is get a good review in a terribly written or sycophantic blog and tweet about that, or retweet people saying nice things about you.

I want mother flipper to set up a couple of shops. They're basically my favourite I've had, but it was a while ago now and I have no idea if they're still as good. Haven't tried patty and bun as I can't be arsed queuing outside anywhere.

Was saying I had a really good burger at Byron the other day, and that Goodman was a little disappointing given the bigging up it had.

It's not that fucking hard either. Get a couple of thermapens and pay attention and half your job's done. Then just come up with a cool sauce and don't use sweaty medium cheddar and shitty bacon.

Dammit. Why doesn't Patty and Bun open on Mondays? I went all the way into town for lunch especially to try it given the good press in here only to find it was closed. Wandered round to Meat Liqour, but couldn't face it, so ended up in Bodean's. Had a large brisket sandwich though, so not a bad trip after all.

8734720793_0910a84458.jpg

I've always wanted to go to Bodeans - is it good?

I've always liked what I've had there; couple of the sandwiches (Soho Special and Brisket Special), the ribs, the hot wings. The fries are much nicer than Honest's too. It's reasonably-priced too. That large sandwich with fries was £10.

WANT

20130205_125602.jpg

The top patty is a Juicy Lucy made from pulled pork (!) and the bottom patty is made with USDA short rib. Tomato amd BBQ sauce on top, japaleno slaw underneath, Rinkoff bun. £9 at Gloucester Road Diner.

Y'know, I wasn't sure what I would make on the weekend, and my grinder hasn't been used for a while. You have my axe!

What steak mix are you thinking? I might ask my butcher for some short rib.

Heh. After searching on my phone, I find I've previously posted the Modernist Cuisine burger steak mixes here.

I'm thinking the "MC team favourite": four parts short rib, four parts rib eye, and one part hanger. Cooked to 56 deg C. The size of the individual steaks probably mean I'll have to make a couple of pounds of meat, and freeze some for another day. Disaster.

Sadly, the forecast is rain for the weekend so I might not be able to barbecue them.

Obviously if I'm making burgers I should be triple cooking chips.

And if I'm triple cooking chips, I might as well be making beer battered onion rings.

And if I'm making burgers, I should be making a batch of my light brioche burger buns too.

Annnnnd that's the whole of Saturday taken care of :)

Going to go ask my butcher about steak cuts, hopefully order some hanger for Friday.

WANT

20130205_125602.jpg

The top patty is a Juicy Lucy made from pulled pork (!) and the bottom patty is made with USDA short rib. Tomato amd BBQ sauce on top, japaleno slaw underneath, Rinkoff bun. £9 at Gloucester Road Diner.

I had one of these a while ago. It was nice, but didn't quite live up to the concept. The pork was a bit dry. Perhaps another one of these burgers where more was actually less.

Still, motherflipper have a stall at brockely market about 7 minutes walk from my house on saturdays. There's also really good fried chicken as well. Perfect for hungover brunch.

We had Byron Burgers for lunch at work today. Ordered over the phone at noon, picked up at 12:20, jumped in a cab, back in the office at 12:25, nom!

I still think that as takeaway (small) chain burgers go they are pretty damned good. I had a double cheeseburger, medium rare, and it was cooked perfectly. Could have done with another slice of cheese in there, but otherwise there's very little to complain about. Possibly they could season the patties a bit more, but that's about it.

I tried a colleague's onion rings as well, they were pretty good too.

We went for some Byron burgers too - always a good option when there are a few of you and you cant be arsed with queuing.

Chilli cheeseburger always does it for me, and the milkshakes are the best :)

As a riposte to Davros going back to the old school and because I'm an Almost Famous slut, here's what AF will be serving at Field Day festival in Manchester in a couple of weeks:

BKe4rzXCAAA9iOp.jpg

Double cheeseB

Chorizo

Bacon

Peppers

Onions

Jalapeños

Famous Sauce

Chipotle Ketchup

NEED. Obviously.