rllmuk
rubberducker

The Ultimate Burger

Went to meat liquor last night, thumbs up. Burger was excellent (like McDonalds done right) and sides ranged from solid to very good. There's a good range of drinks as well.

Yeah, Capital pubs or whatver just create acres of nice looking space without the facilities to service them properly.

And they will get rid of the pizzas, and you'll now be able to get a fucking hot dog for nearly a tenner.

Went to Meat Liquor today, it was pretty pretty good. If you like the noisy, crammed in American trash sort of places then you'll love it.

The burger was really delicious, I had the dead hippie (double cheeseburger basically, American cheese obv) the quality of the meat was outstanding and really nicely seasoned, really nicely cooked and steamed so that the bun was lovely and soft :)

We shared onion rings, fried pickles and fries. All were nice, the pickles and onion rings were really delicious but a bit greasy after a few. Fries were really good skinny fries, salty and crispy - I don't know what all the reviewers hate so much about them? Unless they're upset that they're not parmesan butt truffle fries made with purple potatoes or something. They were exactly what I wanted fries-wise!

The service was good, we were sat immediately and the staff were perfectly attentive and on the ball even though it was very busy.

The only annoyance I had was that root beer isn't a drinks option unless you have it as a float from the desserts menu - surely if they have root beer in the building then they could serve it from the bar too?!!

Anyway, really good. I much preferred it to Honest, but then I prefer the American style cheese, proper fries and other sides - I find the chips in Honest can be very hard sometimes and I don't like the cheeses they use.

• Upvote 1

We didn't get the chance to try Honest yet as we'd misread their opening times and missed them, however that shall be rectified ASAP.

First up, the loser. X-Burger. Yeah. The bun was generic, extra large white bap, floury and bland. I had the bacon x-burger (cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato). The 7" seemed like a good idea at the time but it really wasn't. The patty was actually too thin and utterly devoid of moisture, the bacon was wonderfully crispy but lacking in the flavour department and overall there was just no coherence to the burger. The ingredients were very much separate but in no way complimented each other. I can't even make fast food comparisons because they're not the same thing at all, but I think I'd honestly rather just have a quarter pounder with cheese from McDonalds. It may be shite but you know what to expect and the flavours are consistent and reasonably well balanced.

Meat Liquor deserves more of a write up than I care to give it right now, suffice to say that it may well have been the best burger I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a lot of burgers. My only complaint is that the fried pickles sound wonderful on paper yet in practice, despite being delicious, are cut too thin and ultimately could be anything in batter because the sweetness and the crunch that you'd expect doesn't come through at all and you definitely don't get £4 worth. I'd also think they could get away with upping the size of the burgers slightly, I was genuinely debating ordering another, they were that good.

I was genuinely debating ordering another, they were that good.

This is why I'm so, so glad they're not 30 seconds walk from my house any more

Shame you had a shitty burger from Xburger - I've ordered from there a couple of times and they've been really good. I wouldn't say the best I've ever had but really tasty all the same.

I'll be trying Meat Liquor in the New Year after the Christmas crowds die down a little.

I had a burger from Lucky Chip last night, I was so disappointed. The bun and dressings were completely generic, the patty was bigger than at meatliquor but far too rare, it was crispy on the outside but everything inside was just raw and didn't have that juicy bouncy quality. It was almost 11pm so maybe it wasn't meant to be that way but I can honestly do better myself at home.

Meatliquor was just perfect though, everything completely balanced, I need to go there again and soon. Definitely having two burgers next time though.

The writing was on the door when we went last week, I think it just re-iterates the queueing policy. They don't open on Sunday or Monday, never have.

The writing also says "No Dickheads", but then they let half the staff in?

You could easily walk by it thinking it had been raided by the police.

Awesome burgers, but dreadful service. Not quite as bad as when it was MeatWagon thou.

I had the Philly: sublime.

I wish they did plates thou.

The service was alright, but we were there at 3pm. Actually at one point someone tried to take away my food whilst I was eating it and then just stood there with one hand on the tray until I finished, that was a bit rude.

The place feels like a coffee shop in Amsterdam, is staffed exclusively with attractive young women and serves the best burgers I've ever eaten, quite frankly the service can be as shit as it likes and I'd still visit.

We were in London at the weekend and it was only as I was heading home that I realised the hotel we'd stayed at was about two minutes walk away from a Byron Burger. Next time

Question: I've seen various reports that Meat Liquor is very loud. I emailed them today about suitability for kids and they said they're happy to have kids but again reiterated that it does get loud and busy.

So, is it a terrible idea to go there with a toddler on a Thursday? Early-ish, probably about 5. I dunno if it'll be ok at that point and won't get too noisy until later. Or is it just not a good idea?

Question: I've seen various reports that Meat Liquor is very loud. I emailed them today about suitability for kids and they said they're happy to have kids but again reiterated that it does get loud and busy.

So, is it a terrible idea to go there with a toddler on a Thursday? Early-ish, probably about 5. I dunno if it'll be ok at that point and won't get too noisy until later. Or is it just not a good idea?

We were there between 3-5 last week and it wasn't loud. It is dark, oppressive and decorated with pigs heads, naked women and black paint smeared all over the walls. I wouldn't say it was very kid friendly at all but if your issue is noise I shouldn't think it would be a problem early in the day. It was starting to get busier as we left though.

Yeah, I'd say if you're going there early-ish that you'd be ok. We were sat round the back by the very end of the bar which was much quieter than the main section which I'm sure would be fine for a little one. I can't imagine that you'd have a problem with drunk & loud people at that time of day either.

Remember to order two so that your toddler doesn't eat yours this time - I guarantee you won't want to give any away :D

Thanks for the replies guys. It didn't really go according to plan yesterday so I'm still a Meat Liquor virgin. Lost my wallet somewhere between Redbridge and London Bridge tube stations. :facepalm:

Managed to get some money into my girlfriend's account but it wasn't all sorted till about 9. By that time I figured ML would be a bit rowdy for Ethan, so we went to Bodeans instead. I ate far too much though. :(

I would love to try it if I lived local or had enough time for several visits but it would be a waste of an ultimate burger opportunity for me. I need a big lump of juicy beef.