Aliens: Colonial Marines by Gearbox

BBBBBB

• 2 weeks later...

Had a second 4 player co-op session of this again last night, not fantastic but certainly great fun played in that way.

The environments (lots of movie homages) are great (disclaimer: so far, only up to mission 5) the sound is fantastic, the graphics while no stunning masterpiece, are still pretty decent, of course the main criticism is that the actual Aliens, the whole point of the game aren't really very good or scary, or dangerous which I can see people getting justifiably disgruntled about.

I get why people wanted no human firefights but I think it breaks the journey up a little, a bit like some people don't like the flood in Halo (I did sorry).

So for now I still stand by my earlier opinions, great fun in co-op and worth picking up for under a fiver.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished it off last night quite a short game but as I said before we all had a great time in coop quoting lines and well you know everything is fun coop isn't it.

Not as bad as I was expecting and had fun the whole time. It certainly isn't going to win any awards but we were all very glad we gave it a chance.

I've just brought a Xbox 360 back and despite the criticism of the game, you're opinion is almost forcing me to press the buy button on this game.

Shop.To have to for £5...

its less than a £5 in tesco (sealed with DLC)

its less than a £5 in tesco (sealed with DLC)

Nice, £4.85 on Shop.To.

Just bear in mind co-op can make anything fun.

True, although the sound of the Pulse Rifle and me and my brother playing through 4 - 8 hours on LV-426 might just be enough. :)

• 4 years later...
7 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

You can tell how much the project was rushed out if this sort of thing made in into the released game. How many studios worked on it? Three?

It contributed to killing off Timegate Studios as well which is something I always found sad, mostly because I have a really soft spot for the Section 8 games.

48 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

You can tell how much the project was rushed out if this sort of thing made in into the released game. How many studios worked on it? Three?

That would contribute to not being able to find the bug. On the one hand there's probably dozens of people who worked on that game slapping their foreheads. On the other hand....how many years after release did it take for someone to find it?

9 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

That would contribute to not being able to find the bug. On the one hand there's probably dozens of people who worked on that game slapping their foreheads. On the other hand....how many years after release did it take for someone to find it?

You'd be amazed the sort of stuff that happens on a fucked up project. My favourite is a rolling one month argument between a lead at one studio and our lead in our studio about who would fix a bug that disabled some debug functionality, which took all of five minutes to fix.

Skyrim is literally jammed full of these one-character fixes. Usually made evident by their 1KB-sized .esp mod files. I usually just lift the correction and add it to my master patch, rather than having yet another .esp populate my load order.