Aliens: Colonial Marines by Gearbox

BBBBBB

Has this now entered it's so bad you have to play it territory? That gif. makes me think it has.

John Walker at RPS.

The saddest thing to report is that Aliens: Colonial Marine doesn’t even achieve that “so bad you just have to see it” place. The innumerous bugs only frustrate, rather than offering the surprising jazz-style joy of a Soldner. (“Soldner”.) And it’s not even the “If you found a copy in a charity shop you’d have to experience it” level of awful that something like the Starshop Troopers game offered. Although as I was playing, that was the game that came to mind most frequently....

It occupies that worst of gaming spaces – just a very badly put together game that’s infuriatingly tedious to play. It’s pretty telling that it’s when you’re just shooting men in corridors that it’s its most passable – you slump into the muscle memory of it all and pass the time. It’s every time an alien comes on screen that you know unfair deaths, dreary, repetitive combat, and broken code is coming to the front.

There's an absolutely huge advert for this at Euston station.

Animated wall adverts, alieny things coming out of the walls - they've even painted the walls to look like the ship or whatever it is they live in.

As you can tell, I am not an expert on the lore.

Don't let this make anyone think AVP2010 was a good game. I played it recently and it's well below average.

I disagree, the marine campaign is genuinely great and the predator and alien campaigns are ok but just get a bit samey. Great AI, atmosphere and tension.

But as McSpeed said it's genius is in the multiplayer which is bags of fun. Might play some more tonight, should be a laugh. It's a pity it took Rebellion a bit too long to get the dedicated servers/files out after release as I think it might have had a stronger community than it does now but it's always fun.

When did you all last play it? Because I put it on a couple of months ago and after three hours of the marine campaign gave up completely bored. Average these days is good. I'd say last year's Syndicate is average and I had a lot of fun with that.

Its singleplayer mode, yes. But the multiplayer is still ace, apart from the totally broken matchmaking.

Hell yes. Multiplayer AvP2010 was one of the highlights of my Xbox 360 online gaming. Once you settled into the games mechanics, it was as tense, atmospheric and fun as any game involving aliens has ever been.

I got rid of my copy a long time ago though and play online games mainly on my PC these days. If it weren't for the multiplayer on PC being pretty dead now, I'd probably pick it up again. Although Natural Selection 2 seems to scratch the same itch occasionally.

As for Aliens: Colonial Marines, boy am I glad I didn't put money down. I guess that amazing Aliens game we all have in our heads is destined to never become reality...

Don't let this make anyone think AVP2010 was a good game. I played it recently and it's well below average.

When did you all last play it? Because I put it on a couple of months ago and after three hours of the marine campaign gave up completely bored. Average these days is good. I'd say last year's Syndicate is average and I had a lot of fun with that.

You played a three year old game recently and decided it's well below average compared to one released last year?

I played a couple hours of the marine and predator campaigns during the last week or so. I still really, genuinely like them a good deal. I do still think the older AvP 1 and 2 PC games are better but I still like AvP 2010 a great deal. There's nothing else really like them, I especially love the melee kills moves and the general physicality of the characters, They absolutely nailed it The firefights were still as intense as ever due to the aliens being utter bastards to fight against, the nimble wee fuckers.

I must admit I really enjoyed Syndicate as well :lol: Wonderfully powerful guns which sound like utter fucking beasts when you shoot them. Very satisfying.

Hell yes. Multiplayer AvP2010 was one of the highlights of my Xbox 360 online gaming. Once you settled into the games mechanics, it was as tense, atmospheric and fun as any game involving aliens has ever been.

I got rid of my copy a long time ago though and play online games mainly on my PC these days. If it weren't for the multiplayer on PC being pretty dead now, I'd probably pick it up again. Although Natural Selection 2 seems to scratch the same itch occasionally.

As for Aliens: Colonial Marines, boy am I glad I didn't put money down. I guess that amazing Aliens game we all have in our heads is destined to never become reality...

There's still servers up and you usually get a couple with a lot of people in them. Game types tend to be Species Death Match/Mixed Species DeathMatch and Infestation. If you ever pick it up dirt cheap we could give it a blast! :) They also changed it so you get experience in Player Matches and can rank up not that it makes any difference as you're only unlocking customisation items.

Yeah I remember not liking at the time too, the original was fantastic. I was at Uni with my new Tiny PC and playing that well late in the night instead of doing work.

Poor friend of mine posted a picture of this game and some of his Alien memorabilia and something along the lines of 'Don't try to get hold of me today' on FB... About 5 people had replied in 30 minutes saying how poorly it was reviewing and he was like 'No man it's really good...' Poor guy.

Selecting Alien 3 on the MD rather than the superior SNES version? Instafail!

Alien 3 was better on the Megadrive. The music alone was worth £40, even to a child in the mid-nineties. The SNES version had nice graphics and that bit where you die and it says "Game over man!", but that was it.

Poor friend of mine posted a picture of this game and some of his Alien memorabilia and something along the lines of 'Don't try to get hold of me today' on FB... About 5 people had replied in 30 minutes saying how poorly it was reviewing and he was like 'No man it's really good...' Poor guy.

It's like when I got DRIV3R on the day and posted how great it was... Defending it for a couple of days and then realized I'd bought a piece of shit.

Alien 3 on the MD really is the scariest fucking game of my life. When I was a kid I used to dread the time-over, those helpless men and their blood-curdling screams! The whole game had a "it's fucking hopeless" tone to it which made it hard for me to play, I feared it, I really did!