Aliens: Colonial Marines by Gearbox

BBBBBB

In fact, totalbiscuit made an interesting point. Apparently a lot of journo's have gone batshit saying that the earlier e3 demo they were given to play was far better, presumably polished to give a false representation of quality.

Now, if you watch this, I see their point. I could swear the graphics are better, it's busier and more tightly scripted, better setpieces....most importantly, you never get the chance to see the shit ai.

Thing is, randy ends the vid by saying it's an excerpt directly from chapter 2. Bloody isn't.

In fact, totalbiscuit made an interesting point. Apparently a lot of journo's have gone batshit saying that the earlier e3 demo they were given to play was far better, presumably polished to give a false representation of quality.

He does make a good point.

http://www.dsogaming...megate-studios/

So Sega themselves are basically saying 'Uhh uhh it was Gearbox who worked on everything with a bit of help from other studios' I guess we'll never know as that doesn't really confirm anything about the work split but it wouldn't surprise me if Gearbox were telling fibs.

Pretty shameful on the part of Gearbox. Seems like theyre just passing the buck now, "oh now, it wasnt us...it was timegate!...a-a-and demiurge!!". I wont be buying a Gearbox game again. They pushed this half baked shit out the door hoping it would sell on its name alone. Its an insult to any self respecting Aliens fan.

RPS has the best footage from the blind alien bit

2spooky4me

Oh wow. Wait, even if they can't reach the player some some dumb badly coded reason, why did they even program a way for the aliens to stop pursuing you in an brodude shooter action game? Is there even a part of the game that requires stealth?!

Yeah, the thing is this is something I've always wondered about Gearbox. They always seemed to have so many projects on the go I was surprised that something didn't fuck up on their end. Until now that is.....

Yeah, it sounds like they should really focus more. They clearly can make stuff that's well liked and successful, but knocking out stuff like this and DNF just hurts their reputation.

RPS has the best footage from the blind alien bit

2spooky4me

I was about to post that! Needs "How much is that doggy in the window" playing.

Awwww who's a good alien? You are. Oh yes you are. Yes you are! Now go fetch!

btw John Walker's review is essential reading.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/12/wot-i-think-aliens-colonial-marines-single-player/#more-142095

You have your scanner of course. Solid blips for Xenos, hollow for allies. Except, well, it can’t scan enemies until they’ve magically spawned into existence, can it? So scanning a room before entering it provides no useful information, since they won’t be triggered into reality until you cross that threshold. And thus can jump from the ceiling onto your head, where you’re already on 1 slot of health because there aren’t any medpacks since the last checkpoint seven miles back, so they instantly kill you. THAT’S FUN.

Amazing.

Digital Foundry weighs in:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-colonial-marines-face-off

It's a shambles obviously.

Hmm where are the game saves on this on 360, i installed this but i think my hdd is playing up loading textures in as i have the issue on bf3 too. Went to delete the file but only found the file and no save game?.

Alas the texture issues are part of the game, installed or not.

Have you read the reviews and opinions? There's substantial things wrong with this game than a (possible) better framerate and a motion tracker on your controller will fix. If that was the case then the PC version wouldn't be getting mauled.

Oh, I know. I was being a little churlish...

Here is the article we all need.

http://www.destructoid.com/aliens-games-to-play-that-aren-t-aliens-colonial-marines-244647.phtml

Aliens: Colonial Marines is finally out over more than half a decade of waiting, and the disappointment is real enough to lick. It's a terrible letdown, to the point that this particular Aliens fan -- who buys almost anything Xenomorph related -- refused to make good on his purchase of a Colonial Marines collector's edition. I want that Power Loader statue ... but I never want to touch the game again.

It's a very sad day for Aliens fans. The game we hoped -- and had been told -- would be the ultimate love letter to the franchise turned out to be insulting junk. However, we need not totally despair. As far as licenses go, Aliens games have had a better run than most, and there are some very solid games on the market.

If you were planning on having fun while blasting Xenomorphs today, why not try these worthy alternatives?

Sounds like Gearbox took Sega to the cleaners frankly.

That's how I feel about it. The thing is, I can also readily understand it. For the sake of their own company, Gearbox arguably did the right thing concentrating on their own IP. Maybe they are cash rich as a result, which is just as well if SEGA decide to pursue them for breach of contract.

I genuinely don't know any of the financials involved in this but it's not exactly unusual for work for hire rates (SEGA get rights from Fox, farm out to cheapest possible solution) to basically allow a small profit (if lucky) which means you take on another WFH project. Gearbox clearly thought fuck that. Unless you have put down money for this, then personally I find it really hard to be too critical.