Aliens: Colonial Marines by Gearbox

BBBBBB

So, not content with putting the game and DLC steam codes on the wrong bits of paper, it seems that the game doesn't even install correctly. I'm apparently missing the executable, which sounds like I'm getting a lucky escape having read the reviews. I'm now trying to download the game to see if that helps :(

£20 completely wasted I think.

Holly sat next to me on my first at Rebellion in 1999, trying not to laugh as I continually shat my pants playing the marine campaign :)

It's great to see you guys still liking AVP2010; even though it wasn't the best game ever I'm still proud of what we achieved. Very, very proud of our alien movement too, especially in light of the videos of A:CM on here.

Linkster - maybe we should all go back to Rebellion and make AVP4 :)

All you need to do is one great marine campaign rather than 3 campaigns. With the time and money the old AvP2010 team could do really fucking well I bet. Keep the predator/aliens for the multiplayer, polish that up and keep it the same as the AvP2010s. Or just take the multiplayer, polish that up, fix the flaws and release that as a standalone download/purchase. I shit you not I would buy that all over again.

Profit. Tada!

So, not content with putting the game and DLC steam codes on the wrong bits of paper, it seems that the game doesn't even install correctly. I'm apparently missing the executable, which sounds like I'm getting a lucky escape having read the reviews. I'm now trying to download the game to see if that helps :(

£20 completely wasted I think.

Posted the workaround on that a few pages back.

Shame about 10% of the AvP2010 team is left there then, eh?

Dreams. crushed :(

I also can't believe that Obsidians Aliens RPG was near enough content complete and close to release when it got canned. I thought it was just an early in progress game which got canned and we end up getting Colonial Marines instead. Yay.

finishing off another playthrough of crysis 2 in comparison the difference in quality beggars belief.

I try and stay positive with games and enjoy them, and not ride the hate hypetrain, but this is off the fucking scale. I am actually embarrased with some of the so called scare tactics.I was more scared looking in the mirror today.

Arsehole Colonic Margarine

I buckled, I brought it and just finished the first level.God it really is awful, from the running to the aliens.

Problems....

Alien blood doesn't hurt apparently when you run over them.

Close combat with an alien - WTF were they thinking, this shouldn't even be possible and to not take damage at all is crazy.

Shooting through the marines to kill any aliens, just technically using them as shields

Lousy graphics as many have mentioned, its soooooo bad.

This game is getting returned fast.

Seconded.

Done with the quality of avp2010, a marine specific game would be ace.

All you need is the same quality of animation/ai, clever textural/lighting tricks like how the sleeping coiled aliens blend into the resin walls so seamlessly, and intelligent pacing. As a bonus, I wouldnt mind a return of volumetric splodes like avp classic. I dunno why no-one ever did those since. Or volumetric flamethrowers. If you want the feeling of being on a bughunt, flushing out small tunnels or vents in such a way seems a no-brainer.

I'd have liked a sequel to be more emotionally punishing, letting the player build a comfort zone, a place of security that theyd tread and retread rather than constantly get rushed from a to b, with defensive or strategic advantages to each bit of it, but gradually piece by piece they'd have to choose to abandon, their world gettting smaller and smaller as the aliens gathered strength, and also forcing them to go places they really didn't want to go. Watching that video back it makes you cringe how scripted it was but as I recall it was more of a symptom of just how long the alien AI took to become fun. That would have been a nice basis to have started to make another game, knowing that was solid enough to build on. Hey ho.

I'd have liked a sequel to be more emotionally punishing, letting the player build a comfort zone, a place of security that theyd tread and retread rather than constantly get rushed from a to b, with defensive or strategic advantages to each bit of it, but gradually piece by piece they'd have to choose to abandon, their world gettting smaller and smaller as the aliens gathered strength, and also forcing them to go places they really didn't want to go. Watching that video back it makes you cringe how scripted it was but as I recall it was more of a symptom of just how long the alien AI took to become fun. That would have been a nice basis to have started to make another game, knowing that was solid enough to build on. Hey ho.

All the same- I really enjoyed it, so thank you for it!

So I went to play some more Colonial Marines tonight but instead started up AvP 2010 for a 'bit' beforehand and here I am later after playing an hour or two of Species Team Deathmatch. Thank goodness for dedicated servers because there's still 4 or 5 up to play. Utterly fucking brilliant as I remember it. I was initially playing as an Alien and it was such a mindfuck with the traversing. Really fun though and something which takes skill. Then started another game as the Predator and had bags of fun too. The love, attention and even the atmosphere on the multi maps is ace too. The map below is the Predator training grounds map, really well designed and fun to traverse around too. The marines were all bundled up into a group and it was a real bastard to get them separated. Plasma cannons, disks and spears. Goodnight :hat:

I took a few screenshots for shits and giggles:

avpmp1_zpse4e99f35.jpg

avpmp4_zpsf0e2f104.jpg

avpmp3_zps7911717c.jpg

avpmp2_zpsf5c15f4e.jpg

I forgot to cancel my pre-order and it arrived yesterday. So that's £19.85 I'm never getting back.

Now, I will defend any mediocre game to the best of my ability, if so inclined. The only "nice" thing I can say is this is like Rogue Warrior, but without the "humour" of Mickey Rourke's voiceover. And I know IF I ever get round to finishing this I'll never get as awesome an ending as Rogue Warrior's Rourke Rap.

http://www.funnyordi...r-mickey-rourke

The PC version looks acceptable and about a million times better than the 360 version I've seen in vids. But it is, quite literally, a half arsed attempt at patching an unfinished game together just to get it out. Just as bad as DNF and just as disappointing.